Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 13:32   #61

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
yeah... so gimballing is required anyway!
But not if you install a northern hemisphere stove and then capsize in the southern ocean!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 13:52   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post

But not if you install a northern hemisphere stove and then capsize in the southern ocean!
Where I cone from that's known as the Dip ,...... **** problem.

Dave
Old 05-11-2013, 14:09   #63

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: How Important is it to Have a Stove With an Oven Gimballed?

I never used the oven so we took out the Princess and installed a cooktop. I use a microwave/convection oven instead.
Old 05-11-2013, 15:10   #64

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've always had an oven. It does get used a lot, mostly for baking (turkey, lasagna, pizza, cakes, cookies, other roast meats and vegetables). But also use pressure cooker when it's really hot outside, for "baking" bread. If you don't have a trivet that fits for the cake pan, wash an empty 6 oz. tuna can, take out the top and bottom, and voila! the "trivet" or baking circlet for the cake pan.

Ann
Old 10-11-2013, 14:00   #65

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thank you fellow multihullers! I have a "hot-rod" Force 10 propane stove, meaning I chopped it and altered it into an eye-level oven and lower burner assembly, just like the three RV oven stoves I had before this creation. But they were made out of steel and needed replacement every ten years from salt water boiling onto the stove. The new one fits perfectly in the galley, atop the counter, with the burner assemblies just outboard of the hull, so any gas leaks can safely be drained through the underwing scuppers. I'm overhauling the galley, so no pictures of the completed unit, but, hopefully, soon! Oops, here's one of the partially disassembled stove prior to the "chop".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00197.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	70147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00198.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	70148  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 05:46   #66

RoyM,

Do you have a pic of your prior mod? I'm not sure I see what you've done. Do I take it that you took the burners and separated them from the oven (like a cooktop) and moved the oven upwards and laterally?
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 21:55   #67

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

This was just the initial part where I removed the burner assembly cover and started pulling off hardware. Sorry, I don't have a pic of the finished product, but hopefully, soon, as it's in storage. Once the burners were exposed, we literally cut the sides away from the oven top and set them aside. We fastened a stainless steel angle frame to support the burner assembly at counter height, then built the back to raise the oven to it's new eye-level position, based on the dimensions of vertical height available (and large enough to use the pressure cooker). Then it was just a matter of fitting stainless steel sheet metal to cover all parts of the oven assembly. I haven't picked up the new insulation yet, but it's a relatively light weight material used in high temperature ovens and kilns. The idea is to keep more of the heat inside to use less propane heat. I have had the good luck to be working with two extraordinary artisans, one who is an amazing metal head (he literally builds high end hot rods for wealthy collectors) and the other is an equally gifted HVAC guy who overhauls fancy cooking stoves.

The idea came from the three Magic Chef stoves that I've used over the years. For a multihull, the eye-level oven is perfect for a boat galley. The Magic Chefs were RV products that couldn't hold up to hot salty spaghetti water for more than ten years each.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven