Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2007, 08:44   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
How do you dig Clams?

Hello all:

I've lived a sheltered life. I have only the slightest idea on how to dig clams. We leave on Sunday for two weeks in the PNW. I know that you need a shovel and a bucket and that it is better at low tide but . . . How do you know where to dig? Do you have to sift through all the dirt that you dig up? I know there are alot of PNW people on this board so I would appreciate any help.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 09:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
How to Dig Razor Clams: WDFW - Razor Clamming in Washington State

Digging for East Coast Quahogs is a lot easier than for the West Coast Razors - Simply probe the sand with your foot until you feel a quahog, then reach down and pull it up with your hand.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 11:14   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Shovels are old school.

We use the tube http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/razorclm/razor7.htm

We made our own, a 4" pipe about 16" long with a T-handle extended up another 16".

You find the little dimple put the tube around it and force it down with your foot. Twist a couple times and pull up. And dump out the sand. Wa La!

The PROBLEM IS finding the legal spots and at the right time of the year. There is a lot of privately owned waterfront........._/)

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishcorn.htm
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 14:38   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
You might also find this FAQ helpful: WDFW - Shellfish:Clam and Oyster information

Don't limit yourself to razor clams, though. Yummy though they are, the same can be said for several other species, and much easier to get. Manilas and littlenecks eat just fine, too. Cleaning is essential, though. You don't want to bite down on sand.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 14:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Best way I have found is go to a restaurant recommended by the locals and order them. Then all you need do is dig some money out of your pocket after enjoying a great meal. Course the way you have been digging money out of your pocket to fix up that lovely boat it should be almost automatic...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 20:24   #6

Yeah all the digging I've been doing to fix the boat up means I better find some clams to dig up 'cause I can't afford the resturaunts. Not to mention I think the kids (and me) will enjoy harveting our own food.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 24-04-2007, 20:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Yeah all the digging I've been doing to fix the boat up means I better find some clams to dig up 'cause I can't afford the resturaunts.
Wait until you see the price of the fishing license.
Old 24-04-2007, 20:57   #8

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Bare hands - if you're not after razor clams; they are fast diggers. Seriously you can do that with butter clams etc. They are slow.

Be sure to soak the clams in seawater with some oatmeal for several hours before eating. They eat the oats and spit out the sand in their digestive track.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 01:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Clam digger joke...

So this would be the wrong place for the joke about the shipwrecked sailor and the beautiful castaway...?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 22:27   #10

Del:

Two kids 9 and 10 are up for this kind of adventure and don't need licenses. How sweet is that?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 26-04-2007, 00:41   #11

Thumbs up Yep!

There's no law that says you can't eat their catch.
Later, I'll send you a PM giving you a good local, if you're up to a little drive and a ferry ride, and providing it's in season for that spot. I'll check!..............._/)
Old 26-04-2007, 04:16   #12

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Northern hardshell clams, once identified as Venus mercenaria, now labled Mercenaria mercenaria can be hand picked, dreged or tonged. Often in and around the RI area you can still see clamers standing in their boats with a long set of "Tongs". They push the tongs to the bottom and use the tongs as tongs and work the bottom, they would bring them up like that. At one time I would purchase maybe 100 bushel bags a day of Quahogs for the RI CO-OPs for use in a small seafood cannery in SE CT. The nectar, or broth was one of the very important flavors in the chowder. Probably more than anyone really wanted to know...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 09:16   #13

Thanks For the insight Mike I found it interesting. Always enjoy learning a few details to bore the kids with.

Del please PM me.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 26-04-2007, 10:55   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Charlie --

As a PNW resident, I do hope you have a nice time here in our wonderful little part of the country (just don't move here, please -- too many of us, already).

As to the clams, they can be tasty treats, but they are not without risk. Do make sure that the beach you are harvesting from is OK. You don't want what this story described, just yesterday. So-called "red tide" (Paralytic shellfish poisoning) is serious stuff and can make someone very, very sick.

Login

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 11:27   #15

Already have a place for retirement set up on Whidbey. Was married at the church where Cheif Seattle was buried. Honeymooned on the Olympic Peninsula -- but -- I'll make you a deal. You get all the people out of California that have moved here since I was born in '63 and I won't move to the PNW

Charlie

Joseph Conrad