Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 20:46   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
hormel Compleats sale for provisioning

In the US southeast, Publix supermarkets has Hormel Compleats on sale for $2. They have a fairly good selection. In the past they have put them on sale every six months for two weeks.

Hormel Compleats are good one-can meals, excellent for provisioning. They're plastic trays.

Unix type disclaimer: I have no affiliation with anybody, except as a satisfied eater.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:39   #2
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: hormel Compleats sale for provisioning

Every Compleat I've tried has been vile, especially the breakfast one with egg and potato. Don't provision with them until you've tried them.
Old 23-06-2015, 11:53   #3

and don't forget the Spam sale too!
Sorry.... couldn't resist!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:32   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

All the supermarkets in my area have the Homel Completes for $2 each. From time to time one of them puts the price up to $2.19 or so, but it always goes back down to $2. I guess competition is a good thing.

I bring them to work as a quick lunch, and I keep a handful of them on the boat for the same reason. Maybe my expectations are lower, but I find them not too bad. The turkey and stuffing is good, as are the Swedish meatballs. Anything that looks or sounds like stew or soup is way too watery. I'm not a big fan of the tomato sauce flavors; for that I'd buy a $0.99 can of ravioli. Like all prepared food, there's too much salt in all of these. I even looked on line to see if they make a reduced sodium line, but no luck.

An inverter and apartment-sized microwave have made eating on board Cygnus MUCH easier. But the Hormel completes can also be heated in hot water.

Just to be clear, we're not talking about fine dining here. We're taking about quick, easy sustenance that keeps well. When time permits, of course I'd go for fresh, local, home-cooked fare.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:35   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

The sale is on till the 26th.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 20:10   #6

Boat: csy 37

Seymore, we've used them for years. No microwave but as you mentioned they can be heated in boiling water. Great for nights you dont feel like cooking. We usually add a small can of peas or corn to it just before eating. Stick with the turkey or beef dinners. The others are not very appealing.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning, sale