Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 09:22   #16
Marine Service Provider
 
Azul's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Posts: 525
Images: 2
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Blasphemy!!!

I kid... never did a coconut float with these... I would suspect that it covers the almond nuance...

Emptying a 1.75 of Myers and Mt Gay for a batch will set your wallet back...

Dunno about the marg machine... I prefer my margs on the rocks... I'll bet it would be pretty good ... float the orgeat after??? Hmm...
Instead of floating coconut on top, a nice addition would be to toast a little sweetened coconut (it goes from white to burnt very quickly!) to carmelize it, then put a tiny pinch on top of each serving. The aroma is incredible and has a nutty taste. Chill the glass.
__________________

__________________
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 08:59   #17
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
We drank these almost daily when cruising Mexico. Felt so healthy...must have had a ton of Vitamin C!!

My new favorite drink for warm weather is a Cucumber Cooler. It is best with the gin but room keeps me from buying the Hendricks. The cucumber makes it amazingly refreshing!

Cucumber Cooler

Splash lemon
Hendricks Gin or Vodka 1.5 oz
St Germaine 1 oz (Bevmo) elderberry
Sparkling Water or tonic
Simple syrup to taste
Cucumber slices (couple)
WOW.... This sounds fantastic!!!!
I'm gettin' the fixin's TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Instead of floating coconut on top, a nice addition would be to toast a little sweetened coconut (it goes from white to burnt very quickly!) to carmelize it, then put a tiny pinch on top of each serving. The aroma is incredible and has a nutty taste. Chill the glass.
Great idea!!!
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 19:53   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Jacko's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Far North Queensland Australia
Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Posts: 188
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

How about this story from the history of the Mia Tia.:- An old sea dog makes a drink for his beautiful Island girl when anchored at in south seas lagoon the mix was his own, so the stunning girl tried the drink and in her native language said Mai Tia which means F#&^&%g good hence the birth of the real Mia Tia !!!!!
Here it is :-
1x nip light rum
1x nip Dark rum
3/4 nip Orange Curacao
3/4 nip Amaretto
2/3 Glass cane sugar Syrup ( Rock Candy Water)
1x Lime juice
1/2 glass crushed ice
1x sprig mint (Clapped)
1x 1/4 Fresh lime

Place all except 1/4 lime and Mint ( used to garnish ) in Shaker and give it a good time pour into good strong glass and garnish ZINGO

I will be having a couple of these for sundowners tonight Cheers Jacko
__________________
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 20:20   #19
Moderator
 
Janet H's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW, USA
Boat: Cape Dory 27
Posts: 6,081
Images: 5
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Here's mine - put it in a tall glass with a straw...

1 oz dark rum
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz amaretto
1/2 oz triple sec
Juice from 1 Lime
2 oz Orange juice
2 oz pineapple juice
Few drops of agave syrup
Splash of grenadine

Shake with cracked ice - add mint leaves if you have em...

Click image for larger version

Name:	maitai.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	77780
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 21:35   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: somewhere in Mexico
Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
Posts: 203
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

I prefer the basic 1-2-3 Rum Punch:
1 part fresh lime juice
2 parts simple syrup(1/2 sugar, 1/2 water- I prefer natural sugar for amber color)
3 parts dark rum, Mt. Gay or Cruzan
Angostura bitters, fresh nutmeg
__________________
John
s/v Nakamal
azsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:53   #21
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
How about this story from the history of the Mia Tia.:- An old sea dog makes a drink for his beautiful Island girl when anchored at in south seas lagoon the mix was his own, so the stunning girl tried the drink and in her native language said Mai Tia which means F#&^&%g good hence the birth of the real Mia Tia !!!!!
Here it is :-
1x nip light rum
1x nip Dark rum
3/4 nip Orange Curacao
3/4 nip Amaretto
2/3 Glass cane sugar Syrup ( Rock Candy Water)
1x Lime juice
1/2 glass crushed ice
1x sprig mint (Clapped)
1x 1/4 Fresh lime

Place all except 1/4 lime and Mint ( used to garnish ) in Shaker and give it a good time pour into good strong glass and garnish ZINGO

I will be having a couple of these for sundowners tonight Cheers Jacko
Love the mint add Jacko! Sounds YUMMY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Here's mine - put it in a tall glass with a straw...

1 oz dark rum
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz amaretto
1/2 oz triple sec
Juice from 1 Lime
2 oz Orange juice
2 oz pineapple juice
Few drops of agave syrup
Splash of grenadine

Shake with cracked ice - add mint leaves if you have em...

Attachment 77780
Standard supplies in an "unstandard" combo... Janet ... This one sounds GREAT!!!
(edit-PS: Your avatar has got to be one of the best on CF... Admired for a long time...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsailor12 View Post
I prefer the basic 1-2-3 Rum Punch:
1 part fresh lime juice
2 parts simple syrup(1/2 sugar, 1/2 water- I prefer natural sugar for amber color)
3 parts dark rum, Mt. Gay or Cruzan
Angostura bitters, fresh nutmeg
Again... slight changes make great flavors... This one has to be a winner with the nutmeg and bitters....
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 19:53   #22
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,137
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsailor12 View Post
I prefer the basic 1-2-3 Rum Punch:




No fair posting pictures! It looks sooo good. I want one but no limes or bitters!
Guess I learn patience. LOL
__________________
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 17:39   #23
Moderator
 
Janet H's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW, USA
Boat: Cape Dory 27
Posts: 6,081
Images: 5
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
(edit-PS: Your avatar has got to be one of the best on CF... Admired for a long time...)


Thanks. Doesn't everyone wear white heels to climb aboard...?

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 23:02   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: rhode island
Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit
Posts: 68
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

here's one for ya, you can serve it with vanilla ice cream if you have it, or just over ice.
2oz spiced rum, (I use sailor jerry)
1.5oz Kahlua
1.5oz grand mariner
1.5oz balies irish cream
mix well, blend in a bit of vanilla ice cream, find comfy beach chair, repeat till you can't find original beach chair.
__________________
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 06:29   #25
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks. Doesn't everyone wear white heels to climb aboard...?

I'm a slightly above average reader... not rabid... BUT... The picture just moves me as "what a story that could tell..." Invokes thoughts of worlds clashing... The aristocratic.... A smattering of innocence or naivety.... Risque... and the saltiest of sailors....

I await chapter one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman.ben View Post
here's one for ya, you can serve it with vanilla ice cream if you have it, or just over ice.
2oz spiced rum, (I use sailor jerry)
1.5oz Kahlua
1.5oz grand mariner
1.5oz balies irish cream
mix well, blend in a bit of vanilla ice cream, find comfy beach chair, repeat till you can't find original beach chair.
This sounds great Ben!
A bit heavy for more than one... for me...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:03   #26
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,936
Images: 1
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I'm a slightly above average reader... not rabid... BUT... The picture just moves me as "what a story that could tell..." Invokes thoughts of worlds clashing... The aristocratic.... A smattering of innocence or naivety.... Risque... and the saltiest of sailors....

I await chapter one...


I did a bit of cat-burglering last night and made off with Janets Diary. After countless requests (well the one above - here is chapter 1 - Janet gets an avatar)


Chapter 1

Despite having grown up on the sea, her parents being live-aboards on a sailboat, Janet found the rowing tougher than she’d expected. Oh, not the rowing per se, but rowing in heels, nylons and a low-cut red mini, presented challenges she didn’t ordinarily face.

This was one party she didn’t want to miss however. Not only would he be there, but it was being thrown on the biggest boat in the harbor, a 108 foot Wally. The chance to see and be seen aboard a Wally was one not to be missed.
Her right oar skipped on the water, throwing her beat off, not to mention turning the boat.

“Damn,” she thought. “Oh well, nothing for it.” She took off her heels and hitched her skirt up around her waist. “I hope the damn thing doesn’t wrinkle too much”.
Rowing was easier now, without the heels and without sliding around in her skirt. She thought for a moment about how she would look boarding the boat, bare-assed naked around the butt except for her garter belt, and decided that she would be completely close to the side of the boat before anyone could see. Besides, when she stood up, with a little judicious use of her hands, she could pull the skirt far enough down to be proper before anyone noticed.
She closed to the boat, turned and shipped her oars, gliding right up next to the boarding ladder. The hand waiting to help was turned away for some reason. Janet put on her heels, grabbed the ladder with one hand, pushed her skirt down over her bare behind with the other and stepped onto the ladder.

Just as she stepped up, she heard clicking and looking around, saw a paparazzi taking pictures.
He laughed out loud and said, “I got pictures of all of it. Don’t worry, I’ll keep your little secret. Stop by tomorrow and in exchange for a chaste kiss, I’ll give you the negatives”
“Everything?” Janet thought horrified. “Everything? Every little thing?” She had come dressed daringly, but had not dreamed that anyone but him would ever know.
The next day she went to the paparazzi. True to his word. He gave her the negatives and pictures in exchange for a chaste kiss. “Ah, so lovely a young woman should not be subjected to blackmail. But in the future, perhaps it would be better to take the panties off after you climb the ladder.”

Janet kept the pictures and uses one now.



Chapter 2 – Janet reveals her photo collection (coming soon)
Attached Images
 
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 09:15   #27
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I did a bit of cat-burglering last night and made off with Janets Diary. After countless requests (well the one above - here is chapter 1 - Janet gets an avatar)


Chapter 1

Despite having grown up on the sea, her parents being live-aboards on a sailboat, Janet found the rowing tougher than sheíd expected. Oh, not the rowing per se, but rowing in heels, nylons and a low-cut red mini, presented challenges she didnít ordinarily face.

This was one party she didnít want to miss however. Not only would he be there, but it was being thrown on the biggest boat in the harbor, a 108 foot Wally. The chance to see and be seen aboard a Wally was one not to be missed.
Her right oar skipped on the water, throwing her beat off, not to mention turning the boat.

ďDamn,Ē she thought. ďOh well, nothing for it.Ē She took off her heels and hitched her skirt up around her waist. ďI hope the damn thing doesnít wrinkle too muchĒ.
Rowing was easier now, without the heels and without sliding around in her skirt. She thought for a moment about how she would look boarding the boat, bare-assed naked around the butt except for her garter belt, and decided that she would be completely close to the side of the boat before anyone could see. Besides, when she stood up, with a little judicious use of her hands, she could pull the skirt far enough down to be proper before anyone noticed.
She closed to the boat, turned and shipped her oars, gliding right up next to the boarding ladder. The hand waiting to help was turned away for some reason. Janet put on her heels, grabbed the ladder with one hand, pushed her skirt down over her bare behind with the other and stepped onto the ladder.

Just as she stepped up, she heard clicking and looking around, saw a paparazzi taking pictures.
He laughed out loud and said, ďI got pictures of all of it. Donít worry, Iíll keep your little secret. Stop by tomorrow and in exchange for a chaste kiss, Iíll give you the negativesĒ
ďEverything?Ē Janet thought horrified. ďEverything? Every little thing?Ē She had come dressed daringly, but had not dreamed that anyone but him would ever know.
The next day she went to the paparazzi. True to his word. He gave her the negatives and pictures in exchange for a chaste kiss. ďAh, so lovely a young woman should not be subjected to blackmail. But in the future, perhaps it would be better to take the panties off after you climb the ladder.Ē

Janet kept the pictures and uses one now.



Chapter 2 Ė Janet reveals her photo collection (coming soon)
Carsten...

This is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Janet will pipe in with detail authentication... Or chapter two....

Time time to sit back for a Mai Tai !
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 12:51   #28
Moderator
 
Janet H's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW, USA
Boat: Cape Dory 27
Posts: 6,081
Images: 5
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Carsten...

Maybe Janet will pipe in with detail authentication... Or chapter two....

Time time to sit back for a Mai Tai !

Yes, I can affirm that someone was skulking about last night and that a number of treasured items are missing today including all the fresh limes, a fine bottle of Calvados and to make matters worse a well used rope boarding ladder was taken. It was my favorite, lovely teak steps with little spaces carved out on the back so that your knuckles wouldn't get smashed against the hull.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 13:22   #29
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yes, I can affirm that someone was skulking about last night and that a number of treasured items are missing today including all the fresh limes, a fine bottle of Calvados and to make matters worse a well used rope boarding ladder was taken. It was my favorite, lovely teak steps with little spaces carved out on the back so that your knuckles wouldn't get smashed against the hull.
If interested... I would be at your service to recover your missing items... If only for a two finger snifter of your brandy... The lady knows the finer boarding ladders to be true....

PS: I had the most "horrid" Mai Tai last night.... I suppose it was a bit optimistic of me to order one at a hookah lounge in MS.... my bad...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 01:31   #30
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,936
Images: 1
Re: Happy Sailorís Killer Mai Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yes, I can affirm that someone was skulking about last night and that a number of treasured items are missing today including all the fresh limes, a fine bottle of Calvados and to make matters worse a well used rope boarding ladder was taken. It was my favorite, lovely teak steps with little spaces carved out on the back so that your knuckles wouldn't get smashed against the hull.
Uhhhh Janet - Whilst I would cheerfully make off with your diary, I would never stoop so low as to nick your limes, Calavados and boarding ladder.

Perhaps, you partook of the clavados mixed with some lime juice and after a few (too many) forgot what you did with the ladder?

Should I release chapter two of your diary - or respect your privacy? Having peeked, I can see it gets racier...........
__________________

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.