Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 15:34   #16

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
There are also soil additives that retain moisture. You have to be really careful with plants in limited soil because they can dry out quickly and destroy the roots, but then nurturing them regularly with a little drink is part of the fun. Just don't forget them for three days is the hot sun.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 15:39   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think you are going to get more bang for the buck by growing a few small herb plants. Herbs that come in containers are never as good as the fresh stuff. And no, I don't mean pot for you wise guys out there.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 05:55   #18

Boat: searching
NO NO NO

There will be no Herb pots on my (our) boat!

Herb, Herb, Herb
Old 16-08-2009, 12:11   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Anyone try small (containerized?) hydroponics?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 18:02   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Growing Fruits/Vegetables on Board?
Why Not? Well--for one reason, the first foreign port you pull into, the Health and Agricultural Inspector is going to quarantine your boat and make you pull out the whole business--dirt and all, together with your veggies and the various bugs'n beetles they might be carrying; bag it/them up; and have the whole business delivered to a hazardous waste disposal site. That last thing any country needs is some latter-day Johnny Appleseed spreading invasive species to decimate their agricultural industry. Moreover, unless you're pulling a Donald Crowhurst, or Bernard Moitessier, there is no passage longer than about 30 daze--which isn't enough time for a "crop" (of anything but difficulties) and by carefully selecting one's fresh provisions, and storing them properly, they should endure until one can resupply (cabbages, potatoes, onions, carrots, even green tomatoes wrapped in newpaper, will endure. And, if one must have "fresh greens", one can grow a crop of sprouts very readily in a corner of the cockpit in paper cups in a week or so--but be prepared to ditch them, and the fresh eggs, frozen meat, poultry, etc; and, any remaining fresh provisions, before expecting to be granted free Pratique in most foreign ports. I understand the NZ and Oz are particularly strict about this as is Tonga, Fiji, the Galapagos; most central American Countries, etc., etc, etc.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 18:50   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
No kidding! I was towing a small trailer boat across the California-Nevada border and they wanted me to pull the hull plug. Why?, because I might be carrying an invasive mollusk. I had no problems with that, it just surprised me.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 06:28   #22

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The prevasive California Garden Snail arrived in San Francisco in the late 1800's on a ship from Europe in trays of meal, imported by an expat French would-be restauranteur that theorized that San Francisco's emerging society was the ideal place to introduce "Escargot et Ouef'" (snails'n eggs) and similar delights. The experiment was a failure, as was the restaurant, and the remaining stock were loaded up in a wagon and dumped in a land-fill--and slowly but surely made their way virtually everywhere in the state. Were it not for the deserts of Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico...

FWIW
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 10:17   #23

I found this... It looks pretty boat friendly Go Green Upside Down Hanging Planters
jokler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 14:09   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
seems like herbs would be the most useful gardening to do aboard. I bet something like this would work...

Hang it on the life line in nice weather, hand it on the towel rod in heavy weather...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 10:55   #25

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
I get the last word again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbseesmoore View Post
There will be no Herb pots on my (our) boat!

Herb, Herb, Herb
yes dear.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:13   #26

Boat: Nor'West 33
Just read "Sailing the Farm" (Ken Neumeyer)... fairly outdated (1981) but he presents a multitude of ideas on growing vegetables, drying fruits & seaweeds, etc etc. Might be worth a read?
synchronicity98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 00:53   #27

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
aero garden might work at the dock or on the hook if you have a genset......Home Of The AeroGarden From AeroGrow International i have one at home and its great,,,,cherry tomatoes in 10 weeks....Romain in three weeks.....awesome product .......
Old 24-08-2009, 03:54   #28

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
s/v HyLite is correct. Hell,we almost had a change of Government when the Cricket Board tried to import soil for our cricket pitches!!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 17:37   #29

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
I once saw a used book called somethiing like Sailing Your Ark. I was able to resist the temptation to buy it, since I have never used my land homesteading books, which I bought in anticipation of buying a farm. I am curious about whether the book had anything practical to say. I believe it was published during the 70's.

PL
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:31   #30

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The prevasive California Garden Snail arrived in San Francisco in the late 1800's ... The experiment was a failure, as was the restaurant, and the remaining stock were loaded up in a wagon and dumped in a land-fill--and slowly but surely made their way virtually everywhere in the state.
Maybe now is the time.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote