Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 10:06   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Griddle?

Does anyone use a griddle on their boat? Im thinking of a stove top one so that I can cook multiple items at once. For example pan cakes and eggs at the same time.
I use on on our smaller boat but we only go out for a week at a time and space isnt as much an isse as it might be as a liveaboard.

The griddle I am thinking of is this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HQHBSQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX 0DER

Thoughts appreciated!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 10:09   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Griddle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Does anyone use a griddle on their boat? Im thinking of a stove top one so that I can cook multiple items at once. For example pan cakes and eggs at the same time.
I use on on our smaller boat but we only go out for a week at a time and space isnt as much an isse as it might be as a liveaboard.

The griddle I am thinking of is this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thoughts appreciated!
I've been happy with a square skillet like this one. The corners make the difference. $11.99 at Kohls.
Old 23-05-2016, 14:48   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A whole lot will depend on how well the particular griddle fits on your boat stoves burners. I bought a cast aluminum one in Mexico which didn't actually spread the heat as well as I think a cast iron one would. And I never used it much.

If your boat is a wet one, as our first Insatiable was, I was afraid to bring cast iron, fearing rust. And, of course, the darn stuff is heavy.

My solution has been to stick with good, heavy skillets, and do the foods better. The area on the griddle between the burners stayed too cool.

Ann
Old 23-05-2016, 14:56   #4

Yes I had one. it was rectangular and went over 2 burners.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 16:35   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Cheechako do tell me more...did you like it?

I have an aluminum griddle on my small boat and I used it often. The biggest reason for doing so was to eliminate the handles and gap between the pans. Mine had a cool spot between the burners too, but I liked it. I used this space for food that was cooking too fast esewhere.

The old griddle is ok but it does not have high sides and egg and pancake slide into the drip line if the boat moves (no gimbals on that stove).
The high sides would help with that even with gimbals. Oh well, Im babbling. Jim is visiting the boat in a couple of weeks. I might buy the griddle and he can try it for fit.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 16:50   #6

We just didn’t use it that much. In the tropics cooked on the BBQ a lot. Only 2 of us though. Might be handy for a family etc. it was aluminum. High sides would be nice, this didn't have that.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 17:01   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We have a heavy commercial teflon coated aluminum griddle that covers both burners on our propane stove. (I think, 17" Non-Stick Aluminum Griddle Royal Industries | FSW , but it is out of stock now). It gets used for pancakes for the two of us, but really comes into its own when we have guests aboard. We can turn out large amounts of pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash brown potatoes, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.... all at once, so we can all eat at once.

The one we have has a gutter around the edge. Sometimes that is a good thing, other times not. It's hard to figure out what is the right answer.

The griddle is stored under the stove along with a waffle iron ( , damn she is perky. Our waffle iron is the same, but it is an older one with built-in thermometers on each side.), a tea kettle, and a tea pot.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote