Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 05:59   #31
cruiser

Re: Great coffee on the boat

The advantages of the Aeropress for a boat: smaller size for stowage; far less water for, and easier, cleanup; reusable filter; no need for electricity. Otherwise, yes, it's a French press.
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:00   #32

Boat: O38 & J24

All great ideas/input. Our Caffi filters came from Amazon with 4 packages, 25 filters each. Said differently, 100 paper filters. Expensive, but it greatly pleases the better 1/2, so well worth it. Also, regarding electric coffee makers, we have a 700watt inverter sans generator and most drip/pod machines require >1000 watts ... so when on the hook, we need to rely on boiled water to make ours. I love Turkish coffee but as you point out, it is limited to 1-2 demitasse ... although now that you have suggested it I am going to bring the cezve to the boat for when it is just my wife and me. Also, I will check out the aeropress. Thx again everyone. FdM
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:58   #33

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

The Aeropress is my brewer of choice when are two of us aboard, but when we have guests, it's just too small, so we break out the French Press. I've thought about adding another Aeropress to the inventory, but first I'll give the filter bags for the French Press a try.

I wish someone would make an 8-cup French Press with a removable bottom so it could be cleaned like the Aeropress.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:59   #34

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft
Thumbs up Re: Great coffee on the boat

I love my Aero press just be careful pouring water in when underway, I use a large funnel since I boil the water in a saucepan.
I have experimented making a concentrated brew, then put 1/4 in persons cup and add hot water, it came out tasting quite good. A lot faster than 4 separate brews.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 07:16   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found th e magic of GOOD coffee is in the beans used. the roast and beans. i cannot stand american coffee.. i love central american beans, prefer darkest non burned roast--rules out french roast, aka burned beans coffee--- and i prefer the vera cruzano beans in mexico, roasted to espresso darkness without the burned flavor of french roast., although i am finding more varietals grown in other areas that are just as smooth and good.
nicarauguan beans are awesome rich also.
i prefer not to have to chew my coffee so i filter it. is simple, easy, and the plastic cones do not break easily, as do the more complicated other methods, including french or other press. many parts to disappear or break when ye most need the contents of the container to be ready. filter-- no problem. hang cone in galley and is always ready if you wish a cuppa. just boil water, pour over grounds in the cone, and wow the awesomeness of melitta system coffee. been good since late 1950s.
not trendy-just practical.
the flavor of the coffee is due to the beans used, not the method iof torturing those beans.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 07:45   #36

Boat: Little Harbor 38

I heard about this press on this forum. It's the best and available at Amazon in different sizes and finishes.

http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Polis...g+coffee+press

We have been using it for seven years. Stainless and doubled walled.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 08:15   #37

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

[QUOTE=Island Time O25;1834604]After years of experimenting and trying out practically all types of the coffee makers - from 12v camp drippers to aeropress (which IMO is vastly overrated and produces coffee no better than a regular french press) it's back to the basics - Turkish pot with super finely ground coffee (consistency of flour) /QUOTE]

I have tried a variety of coffee makers also and am back to the simplest way of making coffee.

Its and even a simpler version of boiling Turkish coffee.

grind you favorite beans of coffee to a flower constancy. best way is to use a bullet type blender.

add coffee(plus sugar or powder cream) into a cup, pour hot water. stir let sit for five minutes and done. if desired add liquid milk or cream and stir very lightly on top.

coffee will sink to the bottom. you will be amazed at the flavor.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 08:43   #38

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Italians...:-)

A local company makes a real Espresso Bar machinery i am thinking about...

In meantime, i use Bialetti.... French press sounds to me more for tisana, hot tea, and alike :-)

Incidentally, nescafe and similar things make me sick... :-)

Fair winds to all
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 09:23   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Glass-Sto.../dp/B002CVTKW4
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 10:04   #40

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Big, wet, sloppy +1 on AeroPress. Have them both at home and on the boat.

In my profession (software) caffeine is the second biggest productivity multiplier after actually having a clue, and a similar thread at some invites-only software consultant maillist revealed that AeroPress is as popular in that crowd as all expensive espresso machine brands combined. If these guys had to deal with the boating constraints (i.e., no space and no disposable income), vast majority would be AeroPress.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 10:18   #41

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Agree with people who say it's possible to get a better coffee the turkish way, the only problems are that it takes quite a bit more time, and the result is inconsistent and sometimes messy. You stop eyebaling the thing for a minute and - boom - it's boiled and spilled all over the stove.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 10:54   #42

Boat: Vancouver 27

Another happy aeropress user. Only makes one cup of coffee at a time, so make it strong and enjoy.

A teakettle boils the water a lot faster with a lot less heat and steam.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 10:57   #43

Boat: Club Sailor; various

IMHO the best coffee will always come from an all metal percolator. Some of the high end drip machines are a close second so long as none of their internal parts are made of plastic.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 11:01   #44

Boat: C&C 40

We have an old corning ware percolator we love. I use a small butane stove to precise it. Works much faster than our pressure alcohol stove. I bought a couple cases of butane from Cabellas a couple years ago and still have a bunch left. It can also be found at flea market type places much cheaper than box stores...Neat thing is when it starts percking, noses come out of cabins all over an anchorage..
Ted..
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 21:32   #45

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Zeehag has it right. Getting good quality beans roasted properly and grinding yourself is the secret.
I love any dark roast out of Cuba, and a buddy brought me home some from Costa Rica that's quite good. My favourite right now is from Costco of all places. Brand is " level ground" and comes from Tanzania.
I use a French press through the week when time is short, and an old camping percolator on the weekends when I have the time to cook it slow and let it brew.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote