Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 08:02   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Grains and Grinds

A big birthday box just arrived from my brother containing, treasure of treasures, grains and cereals including coconut flour, chestnut flour and amaranth flour. The first two are new to me. I use a power grain mill for wheat and wonder if anyone has experience with making flour from coconut or chestnuts. How to prepare product for grinding? I also grind whole barley, oats, rye or other whole grain "berries" when I can get them but instructions warn not to stray too far from the size of wheat so I have not ground popcorn. I'm assuming parched corn kernels could be ground into corn flour. Also, I wonder if the high fat content of coconut would be bad for the grinder?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Grains and Grinds

I haven't used chestnut flour but I don't think you would grind the chestnuts with a grain grinder. They are pulverized. You might be able to use a mortar and pestle. Ive used an electric blade type coffee grinder for other nut flours.

One recipe I've heard of for chestnut flour is chestnut pancakes. Chestnut gnocchi is another. In both cases you can find recipes where they are chopped instead of using flour.

Cocoa beans are very high fat and if you try to grind them with a mill they gum everything up. What some home chocolatiers do is use a champion juicer. What comes out is a gooey paste but I don't think coconut is as fatty as cocoa. Cocoa has a husk that must be removed.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote