Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 11:01   #271
Marine Service Provider

Re: Gin Tankage?

A much simpler solution that I've used at home for several years and love it: a Soda Stream water carbonator (carbonates tap or bottled water) and a 6 bottle carton of pint bottles of their tonic syrup--available in both diet and "regular." A zillion other soft drink syrups are also available...make your own ginger ale, cola or root beer--or plain soda for a scotch and soda--by the glass or liter. A 1 oz capful of the syrup makes a liter. The SodaStream needs no power, uses a cylinder of CO2 gas that makes 60 liters (they have at least model that uses a 120 liter cylinder. The gas cylinders aren't refillable, but empties can be exchanged for full ones. The carbonator, one carton of syrup and 4 cylinders takes up about as much storage space as a 24 pack of beer. Check it out....Sodastream | Turn Water Into Fresh Sparkling Water And Soda SodaStream is an Israeli company...their products are available world wide, at least in developed nations, so replacement syrups and cylinders shouldn't be much of a problem. In the US, Walmart, Kroger, Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond stock the devices and syrups, which can be ordered online...the cylinders cannot be shipped though...you'd have to visit a bricks and mortar retailer for replacements.

I love mine...haven't bought any canned or bottled soft drinks or club soda in years!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 13:40   #272

Got mightily inspired and found out that an ancient shop just a short walk from the office had "kinabark" so I will have the brew ready well before the sea ice breaks up in a few months and the sailing season starts again or, more likely will have time to start a new batch as the old one mysteriously evaporated.

If you reach Stockholm (Sweden) and run out of chinchona bark, this is the one for you. Aether och Essencefabriken on Wallingatan 14. The family run company is more than 100 years old and already the aromas from all the spices on the shelves are worth a visit. Much like an ancient pharmacy. No, I have no hidden commercial interests and - no, they don't sell via Internet. As already stated over and over - just buy the booze somewhere else!

Speaking about pharmacy - the Hendricks bottle looks uncannily like a medicin bottle from long past ;;grin;; A dear one though, if you follow my train of thought ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 16:33   #273

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

How about a small "fuel" tank, filled with white lightning.

You can turn it into whatever drink you want and it's not food, it's for cleaning and fuel...

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 11:21   #274

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
A much simpler solution that I've used at home for several years and love it: a Soda Stream water carbonator (carbonates tap or bottled water) and a 6 bottle carton of pint bottles of their tonic syrup--available in both diet and "regular." A zillion other soft drink syrups are also available...make your own ginger ale, cola or root beer--or plain soda for a scotch and soda--by the glass or liter. A 1 oz capful of the syrup makes a liter. The SodaStream needs no power, uses a cylinder of CO2 gas that makes 60 liters (they have at least model that uses a 120 liter cylinder. The gas cylinders aren't refillable, but empties can be exchanged for full ones. The carbonator, one carton of syrup and 4 cylinders takes up about as much storage space as a 24 pack of beer. Check it out....Sodastream | Turn Water Into Fresh Sparkling Water And Soda SodaStream is an Israeli company...their products are available world wide, at least in developed nations, so replacement syrups and cylinders shouldn't be much of a problem. In the US, Walmart, Kroger, Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond stock the devices and syrups, which can be ordered online...the cylinders cannot be shipped though...you'd have to visit a bricks and mortar retailer for replacements.

I love mine...haven't bought any canned or bottled soft drinks or club soda in years!
Hey Peggy,

The soda stream has been pretty well discussed.

But you can refill them. Google YouTube.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:24   #275

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

So while you are all fiddling around with making tonic - here's a fella that is making his own gin 8without a still). This opens up an entirely new subsection to this thread which could keep it running for ages.....................

Jeffrey Morgenthaler » How to Make Your Own Gin Without a Still

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:19   #276
CLOD

Boat: none

14 pages, I'm just so far behind in the thread.

So just tell me, how much gin tankage was determined to be needed?
Old 10-02-2015, 16:26   #277

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Twice as much as scotch, five times as much as dark rum, maybe three times as much as tequila, a quarter or less of growlers of IPA, and about the same as a good red wine. Wow! I never realized how much industrial solvent I will need offshore.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 16:26   #278

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
14 pages, I'm just so far behind in the thread.

So just tell me, how much gin tankage was determined to be needed?

More.

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 00:25   #279

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dockhead is now thinking about installing an extra 500 liter tank.

That might be enough to get him from Southampton to Cowes

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49   #280

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

On a related topic, not tankage, but what should a good G&T consist of?

I maintain that only an oaf (or an uneducated gin drinker) would even consider adding lemon.
G&T's are made with a slice of lime - lemon is for, well, how should I phrase it? - the unwashed masses.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:58   #281

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

I maintain that only an oaf (or an uneducated gin drinker) would even consider adding lemon.
G&T's are made with a slice of lime - lemon is for, well, how should I phrase it? - the unwashed masses.
I beg to differ.

G&T's are designed to keep you healthy. Real tonic wards off malaria, the lemon keeps the scurvy at bay.

Lemons are a better source of Vitamin C than limes.

The only reason the britishers use inferior limes is that during the Peninsular Wars they were denied access to cheap lemons from the south of France and the Iberian Peninsula. As a direct result of this they started using the inferior limes from the West Indies.

You want to stay healthy, use lemons and have a traditional G&T.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:00   #282

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Well, wise men may disagree about this

Here's a good summary of the variety of expert opinion on this subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...lime.html?_r=0

To summarize, the Master Distiller at Beefeater, and the guy who makes Fever Tree tonic, both prefer lemon in a G&T.

Some other experts prefer limes.

It's a matter of taste, I guess.

I'm fairly agnostic about it. I generally use limes, but certainly enjoy G&T's with lemons as well. I find that, for some reason, limes keep better on board, which is another argument in their favor.

What I am very much more interested in is the tonic. I am awaiting a shipment of Cinchona bark, cut, to start experimenting. Among other things, I am looking forward to being able to control the sweetness -- store-bought
tonic is too sweet for me as a rule. I am just about certain that home-tonic is going to be a whole universe better than store-bought, even Fever Tree.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:13   #283

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm with this guy

“Limes have only about half the sugar content of lemons, and a G&T does not need more sugar — tonic generally contains some sugar already, and it’s not intended to be a sweet drink.”

As I noted, only the uncouth would add lemon - besides the lime looks prettier.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:30   #284

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I'm with this guy

“..... tonic generally contains some sugar already, and it’s not intended to be a sweet drink.”
I sort that problem simply by adding more gin........
Old 12-02-2015, 12:31   #285
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

As I noted, only the uncouth would add lemon - besides the lime looks prettier.
Well that's that, as long as its' pretty