Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 04:35   #211

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm just a working Slob, I crack open a beer, maybe one day I will have enough spare time to develop some taste.

I do hate American Beer though, it's really not fit to drink.
Come up to the Baltic this summer and we'll sort you out. . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 04:51   #212

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Gin Tankage?

I know a lot of people who winterize their domestic water with vodka, and I've done it myself in the past. If you have big tanks and a big system, it eliminates flushing and flushing and flushing to get the dreaded pink stuff out. And it makes for great recommissioning parties in the spring.

Dockhead, the SodaStream is great except for three issues; the device itself is bulky...meant for parking on your counter in a full sized kitchen. The tonic "syrup" makes a pretty poor tonic compared to even Canada Dry, and the CO2 canisters appear to be proprietary. Their business model is a bit like razors, and they make money off the syrups and the canister refills.

If you can make your own tonic "syrup" then I bet one of those old classic soda bottles that takes a standard CO2 whippet would be the most versatile and compact solution.

If you won't touch Schweppes and like Fever Tree, then I'd love to know what you come up with as a recipe if you ever arrive at something your happy with.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 04:58   #213

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I've found, after exhaustive scientific testing (tasting) of many thousands of G&Ts that if I put enough gin in the drink, I don't taste the tonic as much.

Further tasting (testing) has revealed that after several drinks it doesn't really matter what tonic is being used - I still can't taste it.

This study has been validized by a number of my friends who under my supervision have consumed innumerable G&Ts and report the exact same results.

Still, I'm not satisfied, so I'm planning on repeating these experiments on a regular basis.

I will however, rinse my mouth out with a martinez between G&Ts to ensure my tastebuds are at their optimal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 05:23   #214
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I thought of Carstenb and Dockhead yesterday, as I bought my first bottle of Hendricks to try (it was earlier commented that Carsten bought Dockhead a bottle as a gift recently).

It was bucketing in the port, rain coming down as I have only usually seen in the tropics. I love sloshing through rain, I have never grown out of that . Bonus was finding Hendricks in stock. I haven't seen it in Greece previously. Back on board warm and dry, a blind taste test of gins seemed appropriate.

I used Tanqueray (the 47.3% export version) and Bombay Sapphire for comparison. Interesting trial. Hendricks is way more aromatic than the other two (closer to Bombay), and could be easily picked on smell alone. Nicest for drinking straight (although I still prefer a single malt for this), but when mixed with extra dry vermouth, after a couple of sips I was struggling to pick the difference compared to Bombay. After having an olive, no difference. Tanqueray is a bigger more fiery hit of alcohol (good for G&Ts where the tonic flavours tend to override those of the gin).

Hendricks is about 50% more price wise here than Tanqueray or Bombay, and for me probably not worth the extra cost, but a second trial tonight will be necessary for scientific purposes .

By the way, the olives I used are just divine. I put three into my martini . I had lunch while I was in town yesterday and complimented the owner on her olives, which were the best I have ever tasted. A large jar promptly appeared on the table for me. Her husband is from Sitia in Crete and his family have been preserving olives for centuries with the recipe passed down from generation to generation. He currently sources his olives from Rhodes and preserves them with lemon rind. Food of the gods .

SWL
Oh man... You're killing me!
I love blind taste tests with a few friends... it NEVER fails to raise a fairly qustionable surprise that "usually agreed" amongst the group... After a few more verifications of course!!!

OLIVES - I'm much more of an olive whore than a snob... Long before I can remember, I was being dragged by the hand through Italian Deli's that seemed to have miles of olive choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Equal parts gin and red vermouth. If you can get an Old Tom type of gin this is better. Dash of bitters and don't forget the maraschino cherries.

It is a real 1920's type of cocktail and the opposite of the modern dry martini. My father was horrified when I made some at Christmas (he is from that generation who had sterling silver miniature oil cans to precisely measure two drops of dry vermouth into their martinis).

But absolutely delicious and addictive. We drank a lot of them on board last summer, and Carsten helped out!

Attachment 95507

A perfectly shaken Martinez next to a perfectly shaken Dry Martini. Cocktail hour!
Swap out the gin for bourbon, and you have my all time favorite...
The Manhattan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Lassie, I believe Dockhead has an extra berth or two - Bonus you get to sail a bit in the Baltic and you can always come visit me in copenhagen (live right in the center of downtown on the harbour - private dock outside my ktichen door)

ps- I can also make a martinez
I copied and saved this so when I show up in Copenhagen I can trade the document for dock space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm just a working Slob, I crack open a beer, maybe one day I will have enough spare time to develop some taste.

I do hate American Beer though, it's really not fit to drink.
I'm fixin' to teach you how to drink son...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I know a lot of people who winterize their domestic water with vodka, and I've done it myself in the past. If you have big tanks and a big system, it eliminates flushing and flushing and flushing to get the dreaded pink stuff out. And it makes for great recommissioning parties in the spring.

Dockhead, the SodaStream is great except for three issues; the device itself is bulky...meant for parking on your counter in a full sized kitchen. The tonic "syrup" makes a pretty poor tonic compared to even Canada Dry, and the CO2 canisters appear to be proprietary. Their business model is a bit like razors, and they make money off the syrups and the canister refills.

If you can make your own tonic "syrup" then I bet one of those old classic soda bottles that takes a standard CO2 whippet would be the most versatile and compact solution.

If you won't touch Schweppes and like Fever Tree, then I'd love to know what you come up with as a recipe if you ever arrive at something your happy with.
I love my soda bottle... Fantastic for making a special blend... But it get's way too spendy for making "regular" seltzer or soda... Well... As much as I use anyway...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 05:24   #215

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Just pop up to the Baltic this summer and find out for yourself . . .
Quote:
Lassie, I believe Dockhead has an extra berth or two - Bonus you get to sail a bit in the Baltic and you can always come visit me in copenhagen (live right in the center of downtown on the harbour - private dock outside my ktichen door)

ps- I can also make a martinez
Unfortunately the stuff of fantasies only .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 05:27   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
I've found, after exhaustive scientific testing (tasting) of many thousands of G&Ts that if I put enough gin in the drink, I don't taste the tonic as much.

Further tasting (testing) has revealed that after several drinks it doesn't really matter what tonic is being used - I still can't taste it.

This study has been validized by a number of my friends who under my supervision have consumed innumerable G&Ts and report the exact same results.

Still, I'm not satisfied, so I'm planning on repeating these experiments on a regular basis.

I will however, rinse my mouth out with a martinez between G&Ts to ensure my tastebuds are at their optimal
HA!
+100
My experiences are similar!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 05:31   #217

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:

Lol.

When you start to contemplate having another G&T and you think you might skip the tonic, that's a real good time to cut yourself off
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 05:52   #218

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
This thread just keeps on giving...

Thanks Dockhead, SWL and Carstenb (and oh, a few others too)
Wottie, gin prices in his little area next to Turkey are about half of what we pay in Australia. I think they get a huge amount of traffic from Turkey in summer and can price accordingly.

Bombay Sapphire is 23€ for a litre here. This comes to A$23 for 700 ml. A standard 700ml bottle in Australia is around A$45. Hendricks is still cheaper here than Bombay S is back home.

I don't consume enough for cost to be of any great concern, so I buy what I most enjoy, even for mixing. Another reason to enjoy sailing in the Med .

I think having an assortment on board is nice. Compared to Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray when taken straight, the night before I enjoyed the Hendricks most. Last night I found it a bit too perfumed. Night three of trials definitely needed .

Botanicals are expensive, so I bet these bump up the cost of gin. The most expensive need not be the one preferred by everyone. Also, in some cases a premium may be paid for a product produced in low volumes and packaged creatively and marketed well.

SWL
PS out of curiosity, I had a quick look at gin prices in the USA. About 23% more than here, taking into account the bottle size in the USA. 60% of the price in Australia. The cost of hard liquor back home is probably one more reason we tend to be a country primarily of wine and beer drinkers .

Old 15-01-2015, 05:59   #219
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Cartoon floating around europe, has a horse drinking from a can labelled "european beer" and p*ssing into a can labelled "American beer".

No offense intended to any that are fans of mass produced American beer. You all do have some very fine microbreweries over there

It's more like making love in a canoe actually
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:10   #220

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

That is exactly the bottle I have, on board but in a brushed SS finish. They are still readily available.

I find Schweppes too sweet as well (haven't tried Fever Tree) so will report back when I try the homemade blend of syrup. The standard recipe can be modified with even less sugar if necessary, so I am sure I will eventually hit on a good mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I love blind taste tests with a few friends... it NEVER fails to raise a fairly qustionable surprise that "usually agreed" amongst the group... After a few more verifications of course!!!
It is certainly fun trialling, particularly when done blind (someone else pours the glass and you have no idea what you are drinking, not blind drunk LOL). Removing all expectation by not knowing what you are tasting is really interesting. We had an assortment of around half a dozen bottles of Scotch one time and when guests brought a couple of nice bottles, we had a "testing". I preferred some of the single malts overwhelmingly compared to blends that were 2-3 times the cost. Never thought before that I had cheap taste .

The gin trials over the last few nights have been good (not the first, but the first including Hendricks).

SWL

Old 15-01-2015, 06:15   #221

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

We bought a Soda Stream with the idea of not having to carry LOTS of cases of tonic water cans, and to not have to drink HFCS sweetened tonic. We were REALLY unhappy with the tonic that came with the Soda Stream. So off we went to make the syrup ourselves, found all the ingredients at an online herbal store. Lots of work produced a relatively small (based on our consumption) amount of syrup, but still a possible solution for us. (An unfortunate side effect trying to carbonate the home-mix & water, was that it created a monster boil-over in the Soda Stream with the co2 injection.)

We then found that we are not alone, there is a growing interest in the US for "gourmet natural tonic" and their are numerous syrups available. Check out this site (there are others): Tonic Syrups - Only Tonics

CHEERS!
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:19   #222

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ercru View Post
We bought a Soda Stream with the idea of not having to carry LOTS of cases of tonic water cans, and to not have to drink HFCS sweetened tonic. We were REALLY unhappy with the tonic that came with the Soda Stream. So off we went to make the syrup ourselves, found all the ingredients at an online herbal store. Lots of work produced a relatively small (based on our consumption) amount of syrup, but still a possible solution for us. (An unfortunate side effect trying to carbonate the home-mix & water, was that it created a monster boil-over in the Soda Stream with the co2 injection.)
It needn't be added at the time of carbonating. I would suggest making plain soda water and adding tonic syrup and gin separately.

SWL

Old 15-01-2015, 06:29   #223

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
It needn't be added at the time of carbonating. I would suggest making plain soda water and adding tonic syrup and gin separately.

SWL
Yeah, that became REAL obvious AFTER I cleaned up the Soda Stream.
Our new G & T process is to put the syrup, gin, ice and carbonated water directly into the glass, repeat.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:37   #224

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Sweet Vermouth in Gin? That's worse than sugar cubes in Champagne! I concur about non micro brew American beer. Its designed to simulate soda pop..or to induce a sailor to switch to gin.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 07:05   #225

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have hit on my perfect martini .

Trials started a little early tonight, as we had a lovely sail and are fresh from showers after snugging the anchor in very nicely and so early sundowners seemed appropriate.

I am not quite in Dockhead"s father's category with adding only 2 drops of dry vermouth per glass, but I come close. My perfect mix is gin:extra dry vermouth = 12:1. Standard recipes are most commonly 8:1, but anything down to to 5:1 seems common. 12:1 is lean.

As mentioned, when tested yesterday, my verdict was that the Hendricks was a little too perfumed. So today I used half Hendricks and half Tanqueray Export Strength (comparing that to all Hendricks). Don't worry, having finished testing I am not planning on having both - they will be shared .

Bingo! I have hit on the perfect mix for me: 1 shot of Hendricks, one of Tanqueray Export Strength, a teaspoon of extra dry vermouth (=12:1) and two giant lemon infused olives, unwashed, making the martini a whisker dirty. Perfection .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	95513