Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 19:12   #196
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Gin Tankage?

P.S. Don't want no damn Wally, too big. I don't want anything I can't singlehanded, without electrics or hydraulics. They would be almost as much trouble as the blond that comes with it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 23:44   #197

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
P.S. Don't want no damn Wally, too big. I don't want anything I can't singlehanded, without electrics or hydraulics. They would be almost as much trouble as the blond that comes with it.
Well, if you can afford the Wally - you can afford the blonde

Besides - you'd only be sailing her(the boat guys, the boat) downwind - gentlemen never sail to weather (might spill your drink)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:21   #198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Too big....too small...
Wally...Willy...
Blond....single handing...
Think I'll quite while ahead...

Oops...too late!

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 21:09   #199

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Hey, why not think of setting up your own still aboard? I currently run a 30lt still at home and store gin, rum, black sambuca, whisky and other spirits in 1.25 soda drink bottles in the bilges. However I've recently designed a setup with a 10lt fermentation tank located in the aft heads and a 5lt AC powered still using raw water for cooling the condenser. After distilling 10lt (2 runs through the still) I end up with about 2.5lt of ethanol at 80%, break this down to 40% using a alcometer which should give you around 4.5 lt of spirit at 40% alcohol, and then commence the filtration process. To reduce the possibility of creating methanol, I use sugar and water at the rate of 4kg of sugar to 10lt of water and use only 48 hour turbo brewers yeast. To further safe guard against producing methanol, I discard the first 75ml of the distillate as methanol 'boils' off at a lower temperature than ethanol.
Aboard I would use a "Z" charcoal filter which takes up less room and run the spirit through the charcoal filter at least 6 times to get a sweet spirit at 40%. Then commence flavouring the base spirit to develop the product you want. In Australia and NZ you can get the various essences from home brew shops, not usre about the USA. For rum, I have a 5lt wooden barrel to age it in after leaving it on oak barrel chips for 10 days. - end result? Spirits on the go!
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 03:01   #200

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I thought of Carstenb and Dockhead yesterday, as I bought my first bottle of Hendricks to try (it was earlier commented that Carsten bought Dockhead a bottle as a gift recently).

It was bucketing in the port, rain coming down as I have only usually seen in the tropics. I love sloshing through rain, I have never grown out of that . Bonus was finding Hendricks in stock. I haven't seen it in Greece previously. Back on board warm and dry, a blind taste test of gins seemed appropriate.

I used Tanqueray (the 47.3% export version) and Bombay Sapphire for comparison. Interesting trial. Hendricks is way more aromatic than the other two (closer to Bombay), and could be easily picked on smell alone. Nicest for drinking straight (although I still prefer a single malt for this), but when mixed with extra dry vermouth, after a couple of sips I was struggling to pick the difference compared to Bombay. After having an olive, no difference. Tanqueray is a bigger more fiery hit of alcohol (good for G&Ts where the tonic flavours tend to override those of the gin).

Hendricks is about 50% more price wise here than Tanqueray or Bombay, and for me probably not worth the extra cost, but a second trial tonight will be necessary for scientific purposes .

By the way, the olives I used are just divine. I put three into my martini . I had lunch while I was in town yesterday and complimented the owner on her olives, which were the best I have ever tasted. A large jar promptly appeared on the table for me. Her husband is from Sitia in Crete and his family have been preserving olives for centuries with the recipe passed down from generation to generation. He currently sources his olives from Rhodes and preserves them with lemon rind. Food of the gods .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 03:32   #201

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I thought of Carstenb and Dockhead yesterday, as I bought my first bottle of Hendricks to try (it was earlier commented that Carsten bought Dockhead a bottle as a gift recently).

It was bucketing in the port, rain coming down as I have only usually seen in the tropics. I love sloshing through rain, I have never grown out of that . Bonus was finding Hendricks in stock. I haven't seen it in Greece previously. Back on board warm and dry, a blind taste test of gins seemed appropriate.

I used Tanqueray (the 47.3% export version) and Bombay Sapphire for comparison. Interesting trial. Hendricks is way more aromatic than the other two (closer to Bombay), and could be easily picked on smell alone. Nicest for drinking straight (although I still prefer a single malt for this), but when mixed with extra dry vermouth, after a couple of sips I was struggling to pick the difference compared to Bombay. After having an olive, no difference. Tanqueray is a bigger more fiery hit of alcohol (good for G&Ts where the tonic flavours tend to override those of the gin).

Hendricks is about 50% more price wise here than Tanqueray or Bombay, and for me probably not worth the extra cost, but a second trial tonight will be necessary for scientific purposes .

By the way, the olives I used are just divine. I put three into my martini . I had lunch while I was in town yesterday and complimented the owner on her olives, which were the best I have ever tasted. A large jar promptly appeared on the table for me. Her husband is from Sitia in Crete and his family have been preserving olives for centuries with the recipe passed down from generation to generation. He currently sources his olives from Rhodes and preserves them with lemon rind. Food of the gods .

SWL
Another good taste test is to make a martinez

Gin and red vermouth with dash of bitters (correct me if have this wrong Dockhead - I got a bit soused every time you made them so I might not remember correctly).

Since you need to taste all three gins and actually you will need two of each to do them justice - you'll should be ready for almost anything (gin makes you sin).

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 14-01-2015, 04:23   #202

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Gin and red vermouth with dash of bitters (correct me if have this wrong Dockhead - I got a bit soused every time you made them so I might not remember correctly).

Since you need to taste all three gins and actually you will need two of each to do them justice - you'll should be ready for almost anything (gin makes you sin).
I am always ready for anything .

Red vermouth may be too sweet for me. Tonic water is, but I still really enjoy an icy G&T in summer. The recipe for tonic syrup posted earlier was interesting. Another of the many good tips I have picked up on CF.

I found a slightly different version I would like to try though:
Homemade Tonic Water for the Ultimate Gin and Tonic - Pinch and Swirl

I just need to wait until we are in one spot for long enough that I can order the ingredients. I already have a soda siphon that uses the small cartridges and makes up about a litre at a time. I am looking forward to experimenting primarily because I think I will have a better G&T, but also because it would save carting and storing cans. That is always a pain. Cleaning sticky tonic out of the bilge is also no fun if a can leaks.

By the way, when I was hunting, I found tonic syrup for sale on Amazon that may be useful for anyone who doesn't want to bother making their own:
4-Pack Tomr's Handcrafted Tonic Artisanal Quinine Syrup Concentrate - 200 ml: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Bottoms up .
SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 04:39   #203

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:

SWL

Thanks so much. This is News I can USE
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 00:41   #204
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

This thread just keeps on giving...

Thanks Dockhead, SWL and Carstenb (and oh, a few others too)

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 01:34   #205

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
This thread just keeps on giving...

Thanks Dockhead, SWL and Carstenb (and oh, a few others too)

There's a saying amongst golfers

"Let's look at the serious issues facing humanity, There's life. There's death. And the really serious issue - golf"

The same is sorta true for yotties. There's your boat, your family. And then the truly serious issue - your sundowner.

Thread addresses the issue that can't (and shouldn't) be taken lightly

Old 15-01-2015, 02:07   #206

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Equal parts gin and red vermouth. If you can get an Old Tom type of gin this is better. Dash of bitters and don't forget the maraschino cherries.

It is a real 1920's type of cocktail and the opposite of the modern dry martini. My father was horrified when I made some at Christmas (he is from that generation who had sterling silver miniature oil cans to precisely measure two drops of dry vermouth into their martinis).

But absolutely delicious and addictive. We drank a lot of them on board last summer, and Carsten helped out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010360.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	95507

A perfectly shaken Martinez next to a perfectly shaken Dry Martini. Cocktail hour!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 02:10   #207

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I am always ready for anything .

Red vermouth may be too sweet for me.. .
Just pop up to the Baltic this summer and find out for yourself . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 02:20   #208

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Just pop up to the Baltic this summer and find out for yourself . . .
Lassie, I believe Dockhead has an extra berth or two - Bonus you get to sail a bit in the Baltic and you can always come visit me in copenhagen (live right in the center of downtown on the harbour - private dock outside my ktichen door)

ps- I can also make a martinez

Old 15-01-2015, 04:06   #209
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm just a working Slob, I crack open a beer, maybe one day I will have enough spare time to develop some taste.

I do hate American Beer though, it's really not fit to drink.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 04:25   #210

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm just a working Slob, I crack open a beer, maybe one day I will have enough spare time to develop some taste.

I do hate American Beer though, it's really not fit to drink.
Cartoon floating around europe, has a horse drinking from a can labelled "european beer" and p*ssing into a can labelled "American beer".

No offense intended to any that are fans of mass produced American beer. You all do have some very fine microbreweries over there