Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-05-2015, 16:51   #376

Boat: Still building
Re: Gin Tankage?

I thought Islay was full of whiskey distillaries, not gin?

Old 15-05-2015, 23:27   #377

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Without any doubt, the world's best martini. I have gratefully received presents of "premium" gin like Hendricks over the years, but have never really cared much about it. Beefeater and Gordon's has always been ok for me. I sometimes have Bombay Sapphire on board, but not generally worth the premium over Beefeater to my palate. But this Botanist -- wow, this is something completely different, and incredibly delicious. I am deeply regretting that I only bought two bottles of it on Helgoland. A mistake I will surely correct on the way back.

I am grateful to Carsten for introducing me to this gin. Also to Martinis made with a twist rather than an olive, something I had never tried before for some reason.

Carsten makes our sail sound like an alco-cruise, but in fact we spent a majority of the nights at sea and dry.
Sorry if it comes across like that- actually Dockhead runs a dry ship while at sea (which I completely agree with). But we do have 2 drinks after docking (and generally only two).
That doesn't effect the tastiness of The Botanist though

Old 16-05-2015, 01:16   #378

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Thats what I thought, oh well, two birds with one stone I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I thought Islay was full of whiskey distillaries, not gin?
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:29   #379

Boat: Little Harbor 38

We had a 10 gallon tank installed under the floorboards on a friends boat as it was being built. It was a surprise for him. One of the crew found an old Concordia hand pump which we used to get the Mt Gay out. Very handy item. We would fill it every Bermuda Race.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-05-2015, 18:30   #380

Boat: Oyster 66

I bought a bottle of super cheap - distilled in Scotland - Glen's gin in Antigua recently. It's nearly empty now and I can report it isn't at all bad. Well, after half of a nice strong glass I am impressed. The first sip is never the best, but it improves and by the end of the glass I am enjoying it a lot. Is it like that with all G&Ts?

This one is $3.75 a bottle. No hangover, no complaints.
Old 17-05-2015, 00:10   #381

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I bought a bottle of super cheap - distilled in Scotland - Glen's gin in Antigua recently. It's nearly empty now and I can report it isn't at all bad. Well, after half of a nice strong glass I am impressed. The first sip is never the best, but it improves and by the end of the glass I am enjoying it a lot. Is it like that with all G&Ts?

This one is $3.75 a bottle. No hangover, no complaints.
Kinda like

"the girls all get prettier at closing time?"

$3.75 is pretty cheap - and no hangover? Interesting
Old 22-06-2015, 03:58   #382

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

The next batch of tonic was made yesterday. It is improving each time, so in the interests of elevating the drinking pleasure of cruisers worldwide, I though it worth reporting back .

Feedback on changes made last time:
The coriander seeds were a very good addition (the lemon verbena did not have a noticeable effect).
Using lemon/lime extract instead of freshly grated rind was brilliant. In addition, big quantities of extract can be made when fresh citrus is readily available and its shelf life is at least a year or two.

Two changes this time:
1. Following Dockhead's comment about the excess citric acid in the last batch, I paid more attention to its effect and reduced the quantity, adding small amounts and tasting after each addition. Two flat soupspoons seemed about right (less than half the original quantity).
2. I eliminated making sugar syrup and instead added an extra cup of water when boiling the cinchona, and then simply added a bit over cup of sugar to the hot mix after being strained. Saves time and fuss and it is also safer having all the water boiled.

This mix requires little effort if you have citrus extract on hand and tastes fantastic! As an added bonus all ingredients can be happily stored unrefrigerated long term on a boat, so the tonic can be made anytime, anywhere.

TONIC SYRUP
= Trial # 5 since I very first started experimenting, the first two batches were not usable for G&Ts. The last batch was made on the 23rd April.

6 cups water
cup cut cinchona bark
3 whole cardamom pods, split open and seeds scraped out
4 whole allspice berries, bashed with a hammer
teaspoon coriander seeds
1 heaped teaspoon dried lemongrass (I think it would be even better with lemongrass extract, but I have no access to freshly picked stalks)
teaspoon dried lavender flowers
1 teaspoon dried lemon verbena, crushed
2 flat soupspoons citric acid levelled off with a knife (a bit less than ⅛ cup)
teaspoon salt
-1 cup sugar (to taste)
cup homemade lemon/lime essence (= finely grated zest of 1 lime and 1 lemon per cup gin or vodka, soaked 5-7 days then strained)
1 cup gin (to improve the keeping quality)

- Bring the water and cinchona to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes
- Add cardamon, allspice and coriander seeds, cover and simmer another 1 min
- Turn off heat and leave covered for 5 minutes
- Add lemongrass, lavender & lemon verbena and leave 10-15 minutes (no more, as it will become bitter)
- Strain using a tea strainer (if you are careful, most of it stays in the bottom of the pot)
- Add the citric acid, salt & sugar and stir until dissolved
- Using a coffee filter, funnel and two clean dry 750 ml bottles, filter the liquid twice (speeds up if using two funnels)
- Add half of gin and lemon extract to each bottle (makes almost 1.5 litres)

With the last two batches, a dusting of sediment accumulated after about 2-3 weeks. It is most likely simply what the paper filter did not catch, settling out of the mix (I get the same thing occurring when lemon or ginger extract is made and that uses straight gin). If the liquid is carefully filtered again without incorporating this sediment and the last little murky bit then filtered into a different container (no point wasting it ), then the sediment does not reoccur.

I have been keeping the tonic unrefrigerated until starting to drink it. Two to three months seems to be no problem so far - crystal clear, tastes wonderful. The last batch was made on the 23rd April and there is still a couple of cups left. The third batch was made over 3 months ago and I held half a cup back to check for longevity. No problems so far.

I put the long life down to eliminating the need to stew plant matter in cold water for 3 days, particularly fresh stuff (I shudder to think what is growing in the resulting murky mix, no wonder two weeks refrigerated is the life expectancy then), coupled with - 1 cups of gin being added. As well, the citric acid acts as a slight preservative.

Cheers
SWL

Warning: Make and drink at your own risk - read the earlier posts about possible reactions with the use of quinine.
Old 25-06-2015, 03:13   #383

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The next batch of tonic was made yesterday. It is improving each time, so in the interests of elevating the drinking pleasure of cruisers worldwide, I though it worth reporting back .

Feedback on changes made last time:
The coriander seeds were a very good addition (the lemon verbena did not have a noticeable effect).
Using lemon/lime extract instead of freshly grated rind was brilliant. In addition, big quantities of extract can be made when fresh citrus is readily available and its shelf life is at least a year or two.

Two changes this time:
1. Following Dockhead's comment about the excess citric acid in the last batch, I paid more attention to its effect and reduced the quantity, adding small amounts and tasting after each addition. Two flat soupspoons seemed about right (less than half the original quantity).
2. I eliminated making sugar syrup and instead added an extra cup of water when boiling the cinchona, and then simply added a bit over cup of sugar to the hot mix after being strained. Saves time and fuss and it is also safer having all the water boiled.

This mix requires little effort if you have citrus extract on hand and tastes fantastic! As an added bonus all ingredients can be happily stored unrefrigerated long term on a boat, so the tonic can be made anytime, anywhere.

TONIC SYRUP
= Trial # 5 since I very first started experimenting, the first two batches were not usable for G&Ts. The last batch was made on the 23rd April.

6 cups water
cup cut cinchona bark
3 whole cardamom pods, split open and seeds scraped out
4 whole allspice berries, bashed with a hammer
teaspoon coriander seeds
1 heaped teaspoon dried lemongrass (I think it would be even better with lemongrass extract, but I have no access to freshly picked stalks)
teaspoon dried lavender flowers
1 teaspoon dried lemon verbena, crushed
2 flat soupspoons citric acid levelled off with a knife (a bit less than ⅛ cup)
teaspoon salt
-1 cup sugar (to taste)
cup homemade lemon/lime essence (= finely grated zest of 1 lime and 1 lemon per cup gin or vodka, soaked 5-7 days then strained)
1 cup gin (to improve the keeping quality)

- Bring the water and cinchona to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes
- Add cardamon, allspice and coriander seeds, cover and simmer another 1 min
- Turn off heat and leave covered for 5 minutes
- Add lemongrass, lavender & lemon verbena and leave 10-15 minutes (no more, as it will become bitter)
- Strain using a tea strainer (if you are careful, most of it stays in the bottom of the pot)
- Add the citric acid, salt & sugar and stir until dissolved
- Using a coffee filter, funnel and two clean dry 750 ml bottles, filter the liquid twice (speeds up if using two funnels)
- Add half of gin and lemon extract to each bottle (makes almost 1.5 litres)

With the last two batches, a dusting of sediment accumulated after about 2-3 weeks. It is most likely simply what the paper filter did not catch, settling out of the mix (I get the same thing occurring when lemon or ginger extract is made and that uses straight gin). If the liquid is carefully filtered again without incorporating this sediment and the last little murky bit then filtered into a different container (no point wasting it ), then the sediment does not reoccur.

I have been keeping the tonic unrefrigerated until starting to drink it. Two to three months seems to be no problem so far - crystal clear, tastes wonderful. The last batch was made on the 23rd April and there is still a couple of cups left. The third batch was made over 3 months ago and I held half a cup back to check for longevity. No problems so far.

I put the long life down to eliminating the need to stew plant matter in cold water for 3 days, particularly fresh stuff (I shudder to think what is growing in the resulting murky mix, no wonder two weeks refrigerated is the life expectancy then), coupled with - 1 cups of gin being added. As well, the citric acid acts as a slight preservative.

Cheers
SWL

Warning: Make and drink at your own risk - read the earlier posts about possible reactions with the use of quinine.
We've finished our first batch (and gave some of it away), so it's time for the next one. Will follow this recipe. Thanks, SWL

By the way, I pickled the last batch with gin as suggested, and didn't have any storage life problems. It got left out of the fridge towards the end, and that didn't affect it, either. I don't really see any downside to this as it's going to be diluted with gin later anyway -- so maybe it should be cut with a higher proportion of gin? Could that have any negative effects on taste?
Old 25-06-2015, 08:34   #384

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
By the way, I pickled the last batch with gin as suggested, and didn't have any storage life problems. It got left out of the fridge towards the end, and that didn't affect it, either. I don't really see any downside to this as it's going to be diluted with gin later anyway -- so maybe it should be cut with a higher proportion of gin? Could that have any negative effects on taste?
I don't think there is any problem adding gin when bottling the tonic rather than when drinking. In fact, if cheap gin is being used, it may improve it. Extracts get better just sitting there even when filtered, as the flavours tend to somehow infuse the alcohol and get rid of any raw edge to it. Tonic would probably have a similar effect.

I have ended up with tonic:gin in the proportion of 4:1 and not increased the gin only because it seems adequately preserved even unrefrigerated (hot weather is still to hit, so this may change) and I like having a low alcohol alternative. The sundowners I am having most often at the moment are tonic with mint leaves and soda water.

My daiquiri mix (3 cups of lemon/lime juice, plus 1.5 cups of rum and 1/3 cup of sugar - an useful staple to have in the fridge and an excellent way of using up the juice when rind is used for lemon/lime extract) is good both with soda water and simply ice added. I use 2 juice: 1 rum as the fresh lemon juice is just strained, not filtered and also it has not been boiled, so it is safer if more alcohol is added to preserve it.

Tonight's sundowner has just been poured and a snapshot is attached: a slug of tonic, lots of whole mint leaves, ice, soda water and strawberries (I have hit shops again ).

Mint goes beautifully with tonic and using whole leaves provides the subtle hint of mint with no bitterness, but you need lots of leaves. Try sucking on a leaf, then slightly bite down on it and taste the difference, then chew it - all very different taste sensations and all useful depending what final result is needed (I think grinding is best when lots of sugar is used).

Because I don't stir the tonic, I can simply keep topping up the soda without needing to add more tonic. Works well .

Dockhead, how is the lemongrass extract you made?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	104198  
Old 27-06-2015, 07:54   #385

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

one of my friends has a swan 60FD in the med with a full bar in it --- everything is on draught taps and runs off a pressurised system so there's no air leaks in it at all

he says its bang on everytime he goes to wind down - whereas me i have to sit on the cockpit floor before i touch anything cos my boats open stern with not very high gunwhales

think a pressure system is the only way to go - loving the comments in this thread though
Old 27-06-2015, 08:43   #386

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby tuesday View Post
one of my friends has a swan 60FD in the med with a full bar in it --- everything is on draught taps and runs off a pressurised system so there's no air leaks in it at all

he says its bang on everytime he goes to wind down - whereas me i have to sit on the cockpit floor before i touch anything cos my boats open stern with not very high gunwhales

think a pressure system is the only way to go - loving the comments in this thread though
I also have a friend with a Swan with a full bar in it -- must have been a Swan thing.

This was on a Swan 90. It was a really full size bar with a commercial size ice machine, a fridge, and plenty of lockers for bottles, glasses, etc. You could have hired a bartender and put him behind that. It was pretty cool, although obviously wouldn't fit on any of our boats.
Old 28-06-2015, 00:58   #387

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

i want to know if its possible to squeeze a smaller version of the same thing into my boat - forget the barman cos I can't swing a puddy below decks just as well some days

gunna try that receipe though sounds like a proper plan
Old 28-06-2015, 19:25   #388

Boat: Still building

If you want pressurised dispensers for beer for example, check out forums on home-brewing, as they are the masters of finding ways to make that stuff work.

A mate of mine had an old fridge in which he kept a 40L keg that was plumbed to a nitrous canister and a tap mounted on the side of the fridge. You didn't need to open the fridge, just stick a glass under the tap on the outside and pour yourself a cold one.

But if we're still talking about "gin" and/or spirits, then where's the need for a pressure system? All you need are the dispensers for the tops of bottles and the rack that holds them, like this.

Tonic, of course, comes from the fridge, pre-chilled.

If you want a pressure dispenser for the tonic I reckon that's overcomplicating something unnecessarily. But a soda-fountain - bottle with CO2 bulb attached - might be a solution, especially for home-made tonics. Those little bulbs for the cream-whip canisters also fit soda fountain bottles, and are pretty cheap if bought in bulk from catering suppliers.

Same principle as what puts the bubbles in the kid's parties "Soda Stream" type soda makers, but for grown-ups.
You can also buy those canisters from catering suppliers, much much cheaper than from Soda Stream btw.

You can get the above in single bottle stands with optic attached. You can even buy electric 'optics' that have a pressure pad the glass touches, rather than the 'push-up to dispense' type featured above.

I'd go with the old engineer's KISS principle myself.
Old 30-06-2015, 07:08   #389

lol

read all the 26 pages...thank for had made me lough so much

nice ideas tho

see you are expert than me may help me for this? it's about alchool (especially wine) and custom problems-how not to pay import duty...because the alcool remain on board, so another's country land due the ship flag's law

alchool on board and customs - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 13-07-2015, 07:07   #390

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dockhead

On our summer sail, we ran across this bar that had solved the Vodka tankage issue. Now I need to talk to him about how much gin he keeps on hand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1185.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	105265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1207.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	105266  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: