Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 21:24   #1

Getting rid of alcohol stove

Hi all,
I just recently moved aboard my 1986 Hunter 31. It's only issue is it has an alcohol stove which I will not really use as I am a bit scarred from a fire that my parents accidentally started when I was a kid.
So here are my questions:
1) is it feasable to just have a hot plate and a toaster oven instead of getting a propane stove? Or are there any other options? I know these will suck the batteries, but I won't be using them outside the marina much.
2) is there anything I should prepare for upon taking the alchohol stove out? Is it better for me to hire someone to do this?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
beatlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 21:35   #2

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'
Re: Getting rid of alcohol stove

I don't know how your stove is installed, but on my boat, to remove the stove you remove four screws, lift it out and deal with the hole.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 21:36   #3

Boat: H36

Hot plate will retire more batterers than you could carry.. If most of your cooking is at dock connected to power it's a good solution.
There are two toys of alcohol stoves, pressurized and unpressurized. I had a unpressurized that work well and was pretty safe. I believe the problems are with the pressurized ones.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 21:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

The orega alcohol stoves that hunter used are great, very safe when a few basic safety rules are followed and worth keeping
If you really plan to remove it then someone on cf may buy it from you. We used ours on our hunter 31 for years without a problem.
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-03-2015, 21:42   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Are you taking out a pressurized alcohol stove? Have you seen the Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove?

1500 watt toaster oven used for 10 minutes uses 20 amp-hours of battery capacity. How big are your batteries? How will you recharge them? The inverter for that load is going to be expensive, 125 amps of current flowing means big wires to the inverter.

If you have a lot of battery capacity and a good way to recharge, it is doable. I think many people would have a generator for this kind of service though.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 04:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, beatlebug.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:00   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebug View Post
Hi all,
I just recently moved aboard my 1986 Hunter 31. It's only issue is it has an alcohol stove which I will not really use as I am a bit scarred from a fire that my parents accidentally started when I was a kid.
So here are my questions:
1) is it feasable to just have a hot plate and a toaster oven instead of getting a propane stove? Or are there any other options? I know these will suck the batteries, but I won't be using them outside the marina much.
2) is there anything I should prepare for upon taking the alchohol stove out? Is it better for me to hire someone to do this?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You can't "just get a propane stove". A propane stove would have to be professionally installed with an external propane locker and several safety devices. Between the materials and labor it would be pretty expensive, perhaps $2K. That said, In my opinion, a propane stove is the cat's meow as far as cooking is concerned.

If a hot plate and toaster oven suits you, they would be fine at a marina, connected to shore power. They would not be practical away from shore power unless you have a genset to operate them. Batteries and an inverter would not be practical for that electric load.

You didn't say if this was a pressurized alcohol stove or the one you pour alcohol into a canister under the burner and light. The non pressurized stoves are very safe but cook pretty slowly. I have no experience with the pressurized alcohol stoves.
Old 13-03-2015, 05:04   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you just can't deal with fire, I'd go the hotplate / toaster oven route, and when away from the dock eat cold sandwiches. You could run one or the other with a Honda 2000, but not both.
Generating heat by resistance heating takes a bunch of power
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:31   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

As others have asked, is it pressure or wick-based (non-pressure)? If it is an older pressure alcohol stove you'll also have a pressure tank and some related hoses to deal with, along with the actual cooker. Either way though, it should be a pretty easy item to remove.

However, I would ask; is the cooker working? Have you considered trying to get over your fears, and give it a try? There are inherent dangers with all cooking methods (heck, there's inherent dangers about a lot of things on a boat ). A properly functioning alcohol stove (pressure or non-pressure) is pretty low on that danger scale -- yes, even a pressure stove, which I used for years on a previous boat.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:13   #10

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Where are you located? I'm in the market for a stove. Either way if it's pressurized or non. Does it have an oven? Let me know if you're interested in selling it.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:31   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I will second the non-pressurized alcohol stove as being one of the safest you can possibly have. I used one on our last boat and did not find my cooking times to be inordinately long. If you take your alcohol canisters outside to fill them so you are certain there are no spills inside to accidently catch fire, you should have hardly any risk. Any accidental spills will evaporate pretty quickly.

We will likely be removing our LPG stove and installing one on this boat as well, although that is not certain as Lance is working hard to convince me that the LPG stove is okay. I'm still not quite there yet.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:45   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting rid of alcohol stove

There's a Taylors on my latest boat.. its going for sure.. I'll use a single burner propane cartridge stove for the delivery from Malta back home to the W coast of Portugal where I'll replace it with a 2 burner, grill and oven gas cooker.. also pipe in a Force 10 bulkhead mounted gas heater.. total cost roughly 1200euros, labours free..
I can't afford my rates..
So.. anyone this side of the Pond who would like to buy a used Taylors 2 burner cooker.. gimme a shout..
PS: don't think the PO realised he'd polished up the stove too well..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paraffin_Stove.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	98798  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 07:06   #13

I lived aboard a G30 with a hot plate, kettle and toaster oven, it was fantastic as I did almost all of my cooking on shore power. I would do passages up to about 30 hours and during my passages it would be picnic style (I love a good picnic), sour dough bread, brie, hummus, some cider- a long long way from roughing it.

However, I would keep the alcohol stove in addition to the hotplate, spend some time experimenting with it, they're fine stoves. You don't install a propane stove- you instal a propane system, it can be both expensive and frustrating. If you're on the great lakes, pm me, I might have a buyer for your old alcohol stove.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 07:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshawdvm View Post
The orega alcohol stoves that hunter used are great, very safe when a few basic safety rules are followed and worth keeping
If you really plan to remove it then someone on cf may buy it from you. We used ours on our hunter 31 for years without a problem.
Nick

m\
I don't understand the alcohol stove hate. I had it on my first three boats and I always loved it. It's hard to see the flame in bright daylight so you have to watch that, but otherwise, for weekend and occasional 2 -4 week cruises, why change it out?
Old 13-03-2015, 08:02   #15

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Good Day All, 10 years ago when I got my Morgan it had an alcohol stove & oven and like so many others I almost had a fire and did burn my arm so never used it again...following that I started looking for something better...all around.

Initially I started with a small propane/butane camp stove with the small spray can type bottles, which meet my needs for many years, but it was not very good for heating, so I continued the search... from there I thought more on he subject, and as I didn't like the looks of propane tanks on the deck, and did not want to lose an of my limited space I thought it would be nice to only have ONE kind of fuel that I could get any where, relatively cheap, the decision can out to use the same fuel a my engine, which was diesel. So all I had to do was to find one that would fit where the Alcohol stove was and make a direct replacement. This I did, and am very happy with it.

In any,you might think about doing the same, in your boat. Good Luck.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote