Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 06:28   #76

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Getting rid of alcohol stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
It's a 410 watt inverter with a surge rating of 810 watts. The crockpot is 70-90 watts continuous load at these settings. I've installed it according to the manual which merely called for plugging it into a 12v outlet. It's possible the 12v outlet can't supply the load, which is why I was going to try clamping it to the battery (or the perko switch because it's easier to access) tomorrow when I can contort myself into the laz again.............
That would be the next test, connect the inverter directly to a 12 volt boat or car battery. There's no telling how much voltage drop there is in the wiring to your boat's 12 volt outlet.

What I'm not reading in your post is any mention of overcurrent protection. We can assume that there is a fuse or circuit breaker protecting the wiring to the 12 volt outlet but if you're going to wire this inverter to the battery, the wiring will need an appropriate sized fuse or circuit breaker within 7 inches of the source of power.

Because the resistance of the conductors matters more at 12 volts than at 120 volts, your best plan is to keep the 12 volt wiring as short as possible and extend the 120 volt wiring to where the crockpot or other load will be.
Old 17-03-2015, 08:39   #77

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks for the instructions rwidman! The cig lighters are protected by a 15 amp fuse, I'm in the process of tracking all the wiring down now. To be on the safe side, I'm going to wire into the cabin lights spot on the bus, also fuse protected, with heavy gauge wiring. I'll never use the full wattage of the inverter, so the fuse will be undersized to the wire and inverter. Best place for the weak link. Thanks for the thoughts,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:37   #78

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thanks for the instructions rwidman! The cig lighters are protected by a 15 amp fuse, I'm in the process of tracking all the wiring down now. To be on the safe side, I'm going to wire into the cabin lights spot on the bus, also fuse protected, with heavy gauge wiring. I'll never use the full wattage of the inverter, so the fuse will be undersized to the wire and inverter. Best place for the weak link. Thanks for the thoughts,
Dan

You're welcome.
Old 23-03-2015, 15:21   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
I had an alcohol stove on my first boat, a Cape Dory 33. I hated it and it was easily the most dangerous thing I owned. Dumping it overboard was a happy day.

The sickening stench of the fuel while trying to cook underway and the occasional flare-ups which, with alcohol, are invisible until you smell your hair on fire were just a total nightmare.

The only thing that I can think of which could equal its menace would probably be a British Seagull outboard.

Toss it.

Dhillen

But the hunters had non pressurized alcohol Orego stoves with oven. No smell no flare ups
They are actually really great stoves

Old 26-03-2015, 20:39   #80

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Hooking up direct to the battery worked wonders! I've been enjoying lentils and split pea soup. Works great as a rice cooker too. The one fault is that the model I got doesn't get hot enough to take the crunch out of the lentils, so I've been butane-boiling water first to prime the cooked. Le sigh ...

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 21:15   #81

Boat: Catalina 387

If I wanted to cook lentils (which I would not wish to ever do) I would throw a pot on top of my origo stove, and in 5 min or so it would be boiling...

(Just to punny to stir the pot here... Couldn't resist, sorry)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote