Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2015, 18:45   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Getting rid of alcohol stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hey Boatie, is your Talyors a pressurized kero (paraffin) cooker or a pressurized alcohol cooker.

If it's a kero unit and you can't move it on, part it out and I will relieve you of the burners for small reward .

Always good to have a spare burner (or two) for my kero cooker; BTW, IMHO are the best for many reasons but yes, they do take a special kind of discipline to use properly but then fine cooking also takes good discipline. I grant that cooking any old food is discipline free!
I've got them in both boats. Wonderful units. Cooks like propane with no dangers.

I scored a brand new Shipmate two hob with oven to replace an achient Taylor's in our big boat. It's 1/4" too wide to go in. I'm "engineering" a solution, somehow I gotta make that beauty fit!

Old 13-03-2015, 18:53   #62
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Shh... keep the secret safe and no fighting me for Boatie's spare burners .

I know many (most?) folk don't like kero (Boatie included) but for the willing, they are GREAT!

And now I sail in cooler climes, it keeps me warm to boot.

My shout if you are ever down under

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 18:55   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
.... It's 1/4" too wide to go in. I'm "engineering" a solution, somehow I gotta make that beauty fit!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-03-2015, 19:03   #64
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Getting rid of alcohol stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hey Boatie, is your Talyors a pressurized kero (paraffin) cooker or a pressurized alcohol cooker.

If it's a kero unit and you can't move it on, part it out and I will relieve you of the burners for small reward .

Always good to have a spare burner (or two) for my kero cooker; BTW, IMHO are the best for many reasons but yes, they do take a special kind of discipline to use properly but then fine cooking also takes good discipline. I grant that cooking any old food is discipline free!
Well I'll vouch for your fine Chilli thats for sure...
Don't remember a Kero cooker on your boat... excellent little gas stove tho'..
will let you know when I get to Malta and actually see the boat..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 05:43   #65

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')

I've tried alcohol stoves.... poor cookers, not enough heat to boil water. Had a diesel stove on the 37' and due to having to prime with alcohol before the diesel would burn ....had a fire, got burned and never used the stove again. Bought a three burner/oven stove some years ago (propane) but never installed it. Is in the storage unit and for sale if anyone wants it. Now use the small canister type camper stove when I go out for extended cruises, works fine but don't really do a lot of cooking when at anchor. In the slip/harbor use a toaster oven or hot plate. Be aware the toaster oven can produce a LOT of heat on its surface. Electrical fires can also happen.
Old 14-03-2015, 06:09   #66

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I looked at mounting a propane tank outboard with a marine kettle to get around the propane locker issue, but it just wasn't worth it. Frugal sailing, I've rigged a holder for a cheap hibachi instead. Luckily, beans do great in the crockpot!
I'll have to try the thermos idea, it's a great way to get around the short lived chunk ice issue, and much easier than taking a Philips to an ice block

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-03-2015, 17:27   #67

Thought I'd update the crockpot idea. It's working for me on the warm function only. At low or high, the inverter starts to pulse and the fan in it chugs, while the crockpot flickers on and off.
I imagine the issue is either that the 12v cables are of too small a gauge (didn't want to plug directly to the battery as I spent most of the morning reassembling the bank after adding solar) or that the brand new 100 amp hour house battery can't supply the current.

Old 16-03-2015, 18:47   #68
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thought I'd update the crockpot idea. It's working for me on the warm function only. At low or high, the inverter starts to pulse and the fan in it chugs, while the crockpot flickers on and off.
I imagine the issue is either that the 12v cables are of too small a gauge (didn't want to plug directly to the battery as I spent most of the morning reassembling the bank after adding solar) or that the brand new 100 amp hour house battery can't supply the current.

Did you install the inverter according to the instructions that came with it? Did you size the inverter based on the current draw of the crockpot?

I suspect the answer is "no" to one or both of the above questions.
Old 16-03-2015, 19:25   #69

It's a 410 watt inverter with a surge rating of 810 watts. The crockpot is 70-90 watts continuous load at these settings. I've installed it according to the manual which merely called for plugging it into a 12v outlet. It's possible the 12v outlet can't supply the load, which is why I was going to try clamping it to the battery (or the perko switch because it's easier to access) tomorrow when I can contort myself into the laz again. Of course if I have to direct connect anytime I want to use the inverter and crockpot configuration, its utility is greatly reduced. The crockpot can cook rice at warm in an hour, but can't do lentils at all. I'm not sure what setup people use for larger boats, but most 31' boats like the OPs will probably be using something similar.
I must confess the electrician trade is not a strong skill set of mine, but I did convert my hybrid car to a plug-in so I have a small understanding. Not enough for this I'm afraid! According to the manual, the inverter's symptoms are due to the constant load being in excess of what the inverter can supply. Not sure how this could be given 410 watts is greater than 70, unless the 12v outlet is restricting current and the inverter can only output 35 or so watts from the 12v outlet. Just in case that was the situation and the 12v outlet was drawing more current than it could handle, I quickly switched off the apparatus as I would rather not deal with an electrical fire.

Old 16-03-2015, 20:41   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You could try measuring the actual volts at the plug where the inverter is connected and while it is supplying power to the crockpot.

Given the numbers you have posted, the inverter should be drawing about 10 amps when the crockpot is running. I think you should expect to see at least 11 or more volts when the crockpot is running. I would like to think your 12V outlet should be able to supply the 10 amps needed for the crockpot.

However the inverter would need around 50 or more amps (at a guess) when fully loaded and you would need to see if the 12V outlet can supply this if you ever load the inverter right up.
Old 16-03-2015, 20:53   #71

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

You might check the wire size to the in the boat to the inverter. It could be to small to carry the current. If the wire is to small too it will heat up and could cause a fire. You have to be very careful with wire sizing. Hope you find the problem. Ed on the Pacific Dream.
Old 16-03-2015, 21:45   #72

Thanks for the thoughts! Did some more research, and it appears that the cigarette lighter 12v outlets are often restrictive. I'll test it on the battery tomorrow and, if it works out, install a new wire run from the cabin lights bus (I've got lots of 6-14 awg) and soldered to the inverter leads.
Very worried about wire size with the inverter as well, since the Pearson 28-1 construction appears to have been hull, hull liner, cabin liner, deck; so there's no access I can readily see behind the cabin liner.

Old 16-03-2015, 22:48   #73

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by patn44 View Post
I've tried alcohol stoves.... poor cookers, not enough heat to boil water. Had a diesel stove on the 37' and due to having to prime with alcohol before the diesel would burn ....had a fire, got burned and never used the stove again. Bought a three burner/oven stove some years ago (propane) but never installed it. Is in the storage unit and for sale if anyone wants it. Now use the small canister type camper stove when I go out for extended cruises, works fine but don't really do a lot of cooking when at anchor. In the slip/harbor use a toaster oven or hot plate. Be aware the toaster oven can produce a LOT of heat on its surface. Electrical fires can also happen.
OK now this has kind of surprised me. There seem to be quite a few people mentioning using a camp stove with canisters. I had assumed they were too dangerous but I have a friend who does yacht deliveries and he says he always takes his portable propane stove with him and disconnects the canister and seals it up when not in use (if the yacht's stove is potentially not functional or safe. He feels better using the camp stove!) Now for my small boat and small use of stove I thought, well, maybe that would work? As long as I had a propane detector? Thoughts?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 06:37   #74

Many, many small boats use them. Sometimes people die. There's a concurrent thread about their being banned in one part of Australia.
You can get both propane and butane ones. The butane bottles seem a bit thin compared to the propane ones, which can also be used to fuel most gas grills.
I have a butane one and even at the lowest setting it really cooks. Mostly use it in the cockpit and I watch the flame the whole time. Practice food safety with your spare bottles as well, and make sure the unit never gets too hot.

Old 17-03-2015, 07:17   #75

Have been using an Origo range/oven combination for 24 years and two near global circumnavigations. An add-on provided free from Origo was a metal flame spreader that snaps into the top of the burner. Eliminated hot spot and consequential burning.

An important benefit is methylated spirits can be used wherever denatured alcohol is unavailablle. The odor of the methylated spirits is unpleasant, but not intolerable.

Most of my cooking is done with a pressure cooker and heat produced by the alcohol is no problem at all.

My unit is getting a little worn out, so anyone with a good Origo range/oven combo the want to get rid of, maybe we can make a deal.

By the way. I have never used the oven for anything but storing the cast iron cookware... Damps excessive swinging on the gimbles in rough conditions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: