Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 11:13   #31

Re: Getting rid of alcohol stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I think they did make an alcohol-powered British Seagull outboard.
Designed and made by alcohol-powered British naval engineers.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 11:19   #32

Boat: Challenger 32

I converted from a pressurized alcohol stove to a propane system. I had no dangerous problems with the alcohol stove, it's just that the fuel gave me a headache and it took a long time to cook. When I first got the boat it wasn't operational, so I used a camping propane 2 burner stove - that's an option for you when you aren't at the marina. As for installing a propane system - the stove /oven alone is $1300, then add installation of the vented locker required by the coast guard, the solenoid and fuel lines....$4000. In my opinion it was worth every penny.
dbSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 11:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Toaster ovens are one of the most dangerous appliances out there. Lots and lots of fires, every year. The problem is that the case is allowed to get hot enough to set anything flammable touching it, on fire. Very cheaply and poorly made. I wouldn't want one on a boat. I have one at home but I put it on its own stainless steel shelf.

In order of danger I would put (most dangerous first)

Camping propane stove with own gas canister
Pressurised alcohol stove
Un-pressurized alcohol stove
Propane stove with correct installation (gas locker, leak detector, solenoid valve)
You missed the least dangerous of them all - CNG. My 36footer came with a complete CNG system and although it would not be very convenient outside the US I'd rather sleep well knowing that the gas will dissipate rather than collect in my bilge. A bit more expensive yes but my life IMO is infinitely more valuable that a few dollars I'd be saving by switching to LPG.

My 1st boat a 27footer came without any system and just a rusty camp 2 burner stove which I tossed out right away. I replaced it with a shiny new ss brinkman bought on sale at HD for all of $40 and it served me faithfully for 5 years at which time a little copper tube between the tank and the burner rusted out. But I was selling that boat anyway so I did not replace it with anything.

Since I don't like to cook while underway anyway and since most of the cooking was done while anchored or at the mooring I used it mostly in the cockpit which worked out well most of the time as it had sizeable side flaps for wind protection. The many times that I used it inside there was never a flare up or any kind of mishap whatsoever. Of course I know that it only takes one such mishap but still I think if properly used, protected and vented the dangers of using it inside are somewhat exagerrated, especially if used sparingly and carefully.

On the 36 footer I still keep a spare 2 burner camper stove in case my CNG tanks run empty. And I can use 1lb cylinders from the Magma grill to fuel the camps stove if necessary. It also comes in handy when picknicking/overnighting on one of the harbor islands.
Old 13-03-2015, 12:06   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
I had an alcohol stove on my first boat, a Cape Dory 33. I hated it and it was easily the most dangerous thing I owned. Dumping it overboard was a happy day.

The sickening stench of the fuel while trying to cook underway and the occasional flare-ups which, with alcohol, are invisible until you smell your hair on fire were just a total nightmare.

The only thing that I can think of which could equal its menace would probably be a British Seagull outboard.

Toss it.

Dhillen
I kind of liked the smell as a kid. It meant breakfast was on. That was 60+ years ago. After that I hated the flaring monsters.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 12:10   #35

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I picked up a $9 2 qt crockpot from Walmart for my boat. It uses 95 watts on high, run through an inverter, so with power loss probably around 110 watts? About 11 amps per hour, which is a more manageable load on a 100 amp-hour battery bank because there really isn't any other load, and 100 watts of solar should basically replace it.
I'm using it on the low setting for lentils which take a simmer, something which the butane camp stove the boat came with isn't very good at producing (it burns too hot, and leaving it on for two hours would eat through butane pretty quickly, and who is going to watch it for two hours, safety hazard?)
Installing the solar today, and then I'll run a test and see how it works. Will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 12:20   #36

Quick update: 90 watts on high, 70 watts on low, 20 watts on warm. At the very least it will be a great low draw reheated
I may even find a way to gimbal it!

Old 13-03-2015, 12:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I picked up a $9 2 qt crockpot from Walmart for my boat. It uses 95 watts on high, run through an inverter, so with power loss probably around 110 watts? About 11 amps per hour, which is a more manageable load on a 100 amp-hour battery bank because there really isn't any other load, and 100 watts of solar should basically replace it.
I'm using it on the low setting for lentils which take a simmer, something which the butane camp stove the boat came with isn't very good at producing (it burns too hot, and leaving it on for two hours would eat through butane pretty quickly, and who is going to watch it for two hours, safety hazard?)
Installing the solar today, and then I'll run a test and see how it works. Will let you know.

Great idea! I will try it myself this season. I am also installing more solar wattage, replacing my current 100-120W total with new 440W of 4 panels 110W each. My goal is to run the fridge 24/7 and have plenty of capacity left. And while I'm expanding solar a friend recommends getting a 110v ice maker from Walmart as well. That way I will have no incentive whatsoever to get off the boat.
Old 13-03-2015, 12:27   #38

Quote:
Quick update: 90 watts on high, 70 watts on low, 20 watts on warm. At the very least it will be a great low draw reheated
I may even find a way to gimbal it!

Another vote for slow cooker. I didn't have one on my Grampian, but I have one now on my Fantasia, I did winter liveavoard on her, so peak loads were a serious issue even with 60 amps of shore power. Peak load wasn't a problem for the slow cooker. When I lived year round on the Fantasia (i still have the boat but have a house to live in now)I had, propane cook top, convection microwave, hot plate and propane bbq.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 12:46   #39

I looked at the ice maker too! I got one of those 5" thick insulation coolers rather than redo my icebox; and thought I would be able to just add 20 pounds of ice a day to it. Sadly, ice maker draw was about 220 watts if I remember, and that was going to max me out. Best price I found was $95 for an igloo one on Amazon (beat sam's club). The Engel ones draw about half that, but cost much more.
Should be great with your new panels though! If you see a poor, hot, iceless drifter, throw him a couple cubes!

Old 13-03-2015, 12:54   #40

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
............. If a properly installed propane system is not in the budget for him perhaps a propane camp stove used in the cockpit would suffice.
That brings with it all the dangers of propane with none of the safety features of a properly designed and installed ABYC compliant propane system.

The camp stove is designed to be use outdoors where any leaking propane or propane from a burner where the flame has gone out can just disperse into the atmosphere.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:04   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I looked at the ice maker too! I got one of those 5" thick insulation coolers rather than redo my icebox; and thought I would be able to just add 20 pounds of ice a day to it. Sadly, ice maker draw was about 220 watts if I remember, and that was going to max me out. Best price I found was $95 for an igloo one on Amazon (beat sam's club). The Engel ones draw about half that, but cost much more.
Should be great with your new panels though! If you see a poor, hot, iceless drifter, throw him a couple cubes!

One of those plug in units work pretty well. An Igloo that plugs in. They only do 40 degrees below ambient but up north it should keep the beer cold. I wish I could recall their name. I'm sure someone else will know.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:07   #42

Quote:

I actually found an easy solution - Zojirushi ss thermos. But need to make sure it is "made in Japan" and not any other place as the others are inferior IMO. They also sell them at most Starbucks under store brand (again get made in Japan only). My record of holding ice was over 72 hours although after about 48-60 hours it became a lump from which I needed to ice pick chunks (being careful not to scratch the insides I use thick bamboo skewers). 1L thermos holds enough ice for 2-3 days for 2 people consuming moderately. Or 4-6 people for a day. Better get 1.5L version if available. My first one I got about 10-12 years ago when they were $15 on sale at Starbucks. Subsequently (recently) I got 2 more for $5 each from a thrift store, both apparently never used, looking at their cleanliness inside. Kept on the boat in the fridge or in the ice chest will probably keep ice for much longer than 3 days. Not much ice for anything else other than drinks but still better than nothing and doesn't draw any electricity.

BTW over the years I experimented with many other ss thermoses to no avail. Nothing else works as well or as long. Anything "made in China" or US (unfortunately) don't even bother. Supposedly Senator brand from Germany (again only get German made ones) is as good but they're both wicked expensive on line and hard to find in stores here in US. But they do make 3L "soup" thermos which would be an awesome ice container.

Having come up in sailing with no fridge on my 1st boat I found ways to keep things cool incl. 12v car/RV Coleman coolers (so so and relatively power hungry and small capacity), bags of ice (expensive, messy and usually not there beyond the first 1-2 days in hot weather) and natural cool such as putting stuff in the bilge (actually great for most items properly protected from breakage, especially beer cans).
Old 13-03-2015, 13:15   #43

Boat: Camano Troll

A slow cooker is fine for certain things (slow cooking), but it's pretty much a single function appliance and hard to justify on a small boat. You can cook stew in a pot or pressure cooker (which doubles as a pot) on your propane or alcohol range, but you can't fry a steak in a slow cooker.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:18   #44

Does the Ops 1986 Hunter 31 not have q fridge or ice box? Those boats were normally pretty well equipped in that respect- I thought Hunter always took care of the basic comforts.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I guess different people have different risk tolerances. The boat I had my toaster oven on was a 40 year old Grampian 30 with a gas atomic 4. I kept the boat at a marina on a small island so I treated the boat like a Hyundai Accent, I traveled all over the place on her, beer store, grocery store, camp outs, all weather, all single handed. I didn't really regard my toaster oven as the monster in the bushes that was most likely to do me in.

All risk assessment involves two factors : probability, and severity of outcome. Having your boat explode due to a propane leak or burn to the water might not be very probable, but they are very severe. It's the potential 6 month stay in a burns unit that makes me careful.