Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-07-2015, 02:11   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Gas Fill issue and Grill

I have a Magma Grill that we purchased second hand from another cruiser. We're cruising Croatia and had just run out of gas in our 6 kilo blue container that you see everywhere over here. However in Croatia they don't use them. I found a gas station that fills them and had it filled for the first use of the grill. I put the chicken skewers on there and immediately noticed a black film like soot gathering on the meat as it cooked. I let the grill burn for a while hoping to burn it off, but it didn't work. I tried the veggies later and the same thing. They were covered in black soot and tasted like gas.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? It could be the gas that was filled into the tank here in Croatia, it could be the regulator maybe? Could the station have filled it with some kind of gas not meant for cooking?

Any ideas?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:14   #2

Re: Gas Fill issue and Grill

I'm leaning towards regulator. Can a faulty regulator cause a sooty burn?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
I'm leaning towards regulator. Can a faulty regulator cause a sooty burn?
Perhaps. The hose and regulator on your barbecue grill probably has a safety feature known as QCC1. This feature will activate if it detects a sudden flow of gas. This feature can accidentally be activated if the propane cylinder valve is opened with the control knobs in the on position.
To correct this, simply turn off the tank and the barbecue grill, and then disconnect the regulator from the tank. Reconnect the regulator to the tank then very slowly turn the tank back on. This will reset the regulator, and allow normal gas flow.

Or, the sooty buildup may a sign that your venturi tubes on your burner may have a blockage, and will not allow enough gas and air flow to reach the burners. Alternately, your barbecue grill may need a thorough cleaning. To correct this, follow these simple steps:
  1. When cool, remove your burner and inspect the ports. If the ports are blocked, clean with a soft bristle brush. Alternately you can clear the debris out by poking blocked holes with a paper clip (or another tool small enough never drill or file portholes, enlarging them will damage your burner).
  2. Next, clean out the burner venturi tubes. Use a venturi brush or pipe cleaner and push it through the entire tube while turning. Pull out the brush and examine for any debris. Be aware that spiders are attracted to thesmell of gas, and may have taken residence in your venturi tubes. To prevent this, make sure the spider guards are protecting the air intake holes at all times.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Make sure the combustion air tube, around the gas pipe, is free off obstruction.

If first time to use grill maybe it's blocked without knowing.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

When folks respond to the word "gas", can they specify propane or butane? I'm curious as to the difference available around the world. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
When folks respond to the word "gas", can they specify propane or butane? I'm curious as to the difference available around the world. Thanks.
Or CNG. Yes, "gas fills" vary among countries from what one expects to a completely unsuitable gas for the equipment.

If soot is forming now where it was not just before the refill, I suspect the gas is different. In this case, the grill needs a higher air/fuel mixture to have better combustion. Most grills have a moveable plenum over a hole adjacent to where the regulator inject gas into the burner. This may need to be opened more. If it is fully opened now, perhaps the specific gas used is not compatible.

Mark

Oops, I didn't see four winds post - they are talking about the same thing regarding air/fuel.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:59   #7

Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

Soot is probably caused by burning butane in a barbecue tuned for propane.
The molecules are:
Propane C3 H8; Butane C4H10; where C is a atom of carbon, and H hydrogen. Molecules of butane containing more carbon and hydrogen than propane require more air to burn properly.

Chances are your US made MAGMA barbecue was factory tuned for propane which is most used in the US.
In Croatia, local regulation prohibit storing of full gas tanks by retailers. So you cannot exchange an empty tank for a full one. You have to go to a special refill station which will fill your tank with butane.

You should be able to eliminate the soot by adjusting (increasing) the air intake to the burners.

In the States, propane is most used
Old 06-07-2015, 11:15   #8

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I take the air compressor & blow the inlet tube out a lot if i don't use the grill regularly .
Tiny little spiders build their webs in there and that cause's soot on mine .
I also push the noob on the regulator to let the gas blow the webs out of the regulator sometimes . This works for me .
Old 06-07-2015, 11:20   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 41 ketch

Agree with others,, but also check the vent hole on the regulator. Not the adjustment screw under the regulator cap, but the small hole on the top cover of the regulator. This allows the diaphragm to have the correct air pressure on the top of the diaphragm. If it is blocked, the gas pressure to the burners will not be correct. If you have soot, your gas mixture is way to rich, ( too much gas, not enough air ) a blocked vent can cause this condition.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:50   #10

Sounds like I've got some experimentation in front of me on this. Here in Croatia it is a butane/propane mix of some sort. Language barriers have only allowed me to get that far.

You can get the little Campingaz canisters pretty much everywhere here in Europe. That would at least give me a consistent gas mixture. Then I would have to make sure the burner allows the right amount of air for it.

Also a cleaning is very much needed, so that will be step one.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:50   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Camping gaz is mostly butane and tanks are generally filled to a slightly lower pressure than propane. Either gas works well with our BBQ and stove. The camping gaz bottles are ok for both gases, but the standard butane regulator might have a blowout under higher pressure. Ours did when we opened the reg. it popped the relief valve with a bang and scared the crap out of us with a big cloud of propane filling the cockpit. Jen has never jumped from the boat to the dock so fast . it works fine now that the pressure is reduced.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
... Here in Croatia it is a butane/propane mix of some sort. Language barriers have only allowed me to get that far...
See Mike Buckler's “International Fuel Names” (unfortunately, doesn't list Croatia) ➥ International Fuel Names

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: