Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 08:23   #1

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Gardening Aboard?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiece with this? I can imagine using some pots plastic of coarse also maybe tipsy turvy bags. I have even thought about hydropontics thru pvc tubes hanging from boom. I saw a really cool globe the other day made from to wire half baskets [moss lined n filles. Wired together. I think these would all be some easy ways but? How is it growing especially on the salt waters? Does anything grow better then others? I plan a 5 gallon bucket for potatoes. Just curious if ay one has had any luck?
Thanks in advance n sorry if its arepeat story..

Its a wonderful day to set sail**
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: gardening aboard?

I see you have a bucket- essential item. (See the bucket list) The only problem I see is when you go out of town, many places have quarrentines on certain plants and fruits. If your going to stay in one place and have a good source of fresh water- why not?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:30   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've been playing with sprouts, and do plan to grow herbs on board (we do it at home through the winter, so why not on the boat). I'm sure you could grow some veggies and fruits on board as well, but I wonder if the harvest volume would be worth the pot space. Hmmm....

Consulting Sailing the Farm (by Ken Neumeyer, 1981) he suggest that smaller varieties of veggies/fruits work well: baby beets, carrots, eggplant, tomatoes, radish and strawberries. Never tried it, but might be worth a go.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:39   #4

We started with a bucket of tomatoes and a bucket of onions, parsley, and garlic. It was perfect while we were in fresh water, but once we hit St Lawrence estuary, the plants started dying from salt spray in the air picked up by the wind. Tomatoes lived the longest, but still died off.

Another consideration is that, in our experience, plants don't like the feeling of beating into the wind and waves. I think it shakes them too much.

So if you can prevent salt spray from being blown onto your plants and don't beat, your plants might be ok. But then you miss out on sailing, no?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:55   #5

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

My wife likes to take her miniture roses on board and sence there small and can be moved inside in salt spray times it does great. I just wish we could grow my pescription meds on board but too big of plant
Old 13-04-2012, 11:01   #6

"Honey!! Quit tipping the boat... you're getting salt water on my pansies!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 11:08   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I years back in a few places in So Pac. Stopped at a Island and planted a Garden- Maters and Corn, squash,beans,onions! did a bunch of canning and moved on !!We were younger then and did not mind the work of making a water system ect ect!! there still places a poorer cruiser could plant and tend a garden if they wished !! sure makes for a good menu, when ya have home canned veggies and fresh Fish !! Ahh thats living to us !!! just a old timer remembering the Old Days LOL
Old 13-04-2012, 11:44   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

We met a French boat anchored in the river (in South Spain). They had plants on the boat (tomatoes?) and they had a garden in the shore bush too! Very nice ideas indeed.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 12:48   #9

Boat: 45ft Ketch

We found silver beet growing along the beach above high tide mark - tough plant - tasted salty. Pulled some up and planted in good soil and it flourished. Not everyones favorite but sure is good for the health.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 13:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Connie and I years back in a few places in So Pac. Stopped at a Island and planted a Garden- Maters and Corn, squash,beans,onions! did a bunch of canning and moved on !!We were younger then and did not mind the work of making a water system ect ect!! there still places a poorer cruiser could plant and tend a garden if they wished !! sure makes for a good menu, when ya have home canned veggies and fresh Fish !! Ahh thats living to us !!! just a old timer remembering the Old Days LOL
Uh oh! Some botanist is going to discover that old patch and claim to have found the origin of the species!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 17:06   #11

Yes we wondered about salt spray. I was think of hanging in cockpit if that wouldn't help to shield some of the spray.

Lol rt on with the meds there are some hybrid dwarfs. 45 days Js

I was think herbs in spheres n tomatoes to can or freeze along with beans and lettuce n various other quick grows, to be in some kinda pots. Hmm. Must kep thinking. I have planned on seeds for sure so that if we find that perfect spot we will plant. Lol.
Old 13-04-2012, 17:11   #12

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"Honey!! Quit tipping the boat... you're getting salt water on my pansies!"
My garden grows on the bottom of the boat. You should see the interesting things I have growing down there.
Old 13-04-2012, 17:37   #13

It also helps to learn to eat the local sea weed and such !! be suprised the stuff Connie and I have eaten in out of the way places !! Ya always have to try stuff to see if ya like it ! bout the only thing Ive ever turned down was live Monkey Brains That was to much for even me !! YUKKK
Old 13-04-2012, 19:10   #14

Yuck don't even discribe the shrivels that I just experienced. Live monkey brains?? What country was that? I'm willing to try most vegies fruits n some meats some. Ya not that one though. Lol ewwwww
Old 13-04-2012, 19:41   #15

Pillapeens !!LOL