Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2010, 10:49   #1

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Garbage

How do folks here deal with garbage? Assume that dumping it overboard is not an option, for legal and/or environmental reasons. There are some things I will throw overboard, e.g. fish guts after I've cleaned the fish. I assume the entrails will become food for other creatures. You can also reduce the amount of garbage by storing everything in reusable containers, etc. But what about the rest?

At present I squash everything as flat as I can and store the garbage in plastic bags in a lazarette. I then carry it ashore and put it in the nearest dumpster.

What about boats with solid fuel heaters. Do folks use those to incinerate garbage? Are there other disposal methods or devices, such as composting devices?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 13:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The easiest way to take care of garbage is to dispose of it before you leave. Remove all labels, unnecessary packaging, plastics, etc. before you stow the goods. Label items with magic markers so you know what they are and, if cans, varnish the cans over the magic marker lables. Cans/glass containers that you can't pre-recycle can be dumped over the side. Be sure and bust out or puncture the bottoms of these containers before they get tossed so they will sink. Metal will decompose rather quickly in the ocean and glass is just saind in another form. If you have plastic jugs, you are stuck with them till you reach somewhere where you can burn, dispose in a proper landfill, or recycle them. Outside of first world countries, your only disposal of plastics will be to burn them on the beach unless the locals can re-use the containers. I hope it goes without saying that you are dumping your cans and bottles in deep water offshore.

As far as paper waste, this will be recycled naturally though it is technically litter. Burning this stuff in your taff rail barbecue would be another way to dispose of it.

FWIW, when we were out back in the 70's empty wine bottles could be recycled with bulk wine from casks. Empty gallon wine jugs were at a premium in the Marquesas. The wine was crap but if you're a wino and it's the only thing you have to drink. Might want to check if that could be a reason to hang onto some of you glass containers.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 13:20   #3

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Anther thing, depending on where you go/are the glue and paper on product packaging can hold nits and be home to lovely critters such as cockraches so repacking before getting onto the boat is a good thing. Then a huge prtion of the garbage can be disposed of shoreside. When offshore it is gennerally accepted that most materials will decompose readily as stated above if sunk. Aluminum and steel cans don't last long when in the salt environment. Plastic, don't let it go over! We have areas of ocean that by currents and winds are many square miles in size of plastic flotsam that are an environmental nightmare! Within the three mile limmit bring it ashore and if you prepack things you can probably reduce the trash to a small enough amount to bring it all ashore.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 17:16   #4

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
anyone think of a trash compactor on board? IT might draw a bit more power but if you are underway you should be good for a 45sec cycle
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 18:08   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Cans, glass, paper, etc - overboard.
Organic - overboard.
Plastic, etc - collected and disposed of on shore.

On coastal passages we segregate everything just like we did in our land life.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 18:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyhorob View Post
anyone think of a trash compactor on board? IT might draw a bit more power but if you are underway you should be good for a 45sec cycle
Yes, I looked into various trash compactors, and concluded that the most cost effective compactor was a sailor's foot.
Old 21-02-2010, 08:40   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
I have seen a compactor on big new Oyster, I think it was a standard. The crew loved it.

Beyond some number of crew it makes a lot of sense.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 08:58   #8

But if you have a large crew you have plenty of feet LOL. Plus, in a large Oyster there is probably enough storage to handle the trash.
Old 21-02-2010, 12:27   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Apart from Ocean passages, our trash is bagged for disposal ashore. Storing in anchor well avoids bad smells for up to 3 days.
Not included is anything organic - vegetables, meat, paper - all sacrificed the King Neptune.
JOHN
Old 24-02-2010, 15:43   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Tins such as coke cans etc are pierced around the base so's they sink and then ditched,
Bottles filled with sea water and sunk, always concerned broken bits glittering on the way down may be gobbled by something... plus a complete bottle could make a home..
Paper products, toilet paper, plastics, bagged in strong garbage bags and shoved in cockpit/stern locker.
Most types of paper have bleaches and chemical residues in them, also being woven they take a long time to break down... just take a look down into the water at Marina's in the Med like Agua Dulce where the waters really clear.. always tell which boats are using their loo's... it smothers life it lands on

Remember.. all that plastic you bring back goes towards making more Fleeces for us to buy...lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 16:05   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How do folks here deal with garbage?
Don't bring it aboard!

Packaging is the bain of boating. I like to repack most food into more substantial containers. Dry goods don't come properly packaged and processed items have far more materials than are required. Things that are not food don't usually require packaging material. Cardboard should always remain ashore with the unwanted guests. If you reduce the volume of packaging before you cast off there is far less to deal with. Plastic however seems to be something harder to deal with. You can't chuck it over though you can clean it and it won't be a burden or weigh you down.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 16:11   #12

Now that has been one of my pet peves for a while! I'm on a "save the polars" campaign! Don't support the energy waisting, environmentally disasterous practice of recycling or using plastic at all! Burn the damn things, get the btu's and be done with it. The damage has been done and the balance upset once already. Don't add to the problem! Buy wool instead. It supports a renewable and possitive industry!
Old 24-02-2010, 16:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
Now that has been one of my pet peves for a while! I'm on a "save the polars" campaign! Don't support the energy waisting, environmentally disasterous practice of recycling or using plastic at all! Burn the damn things, get the btu's and be done with it. The damage has been done and the balance upset once already. Don't add to the problem! Buy wool instead. It supports a renewable and possitive industry!
Hear Hear... and its Fag Ash resistant... you dont end up looking like someone who Welds for a living....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 16:30   #14

That stuf flames right up! And thik of all those poor little polars without their fleeces... Sheep are happy when shorn and wool works way better! Hard to burn too.
But seriously, I have taken to going to the counter and getting my meat or fish in paper. I try to choose products with less wrapping if possible. There has to be a way that they can get the message...It seems that the only thing industry listens to is money.
And, yes, I do bring my large canvas boat bags and even skip the plastic for vegetables....
Old 24-02-2010, 18:01   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If it will not biodegrade within a week or so, then I do not put it overboard. Its that simple.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote