Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2006, 15:56   #1

Question Galley Rebuild - Storage Containers

I'm converting a salmon troller to a pleasure boat. This winter, I plan on finishing up the galley lockers. I'm interested in ideas on food storage, and sources for food storage containers.

Also, any other tips/hints on galley storage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry
Terry Etapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 16:41   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Write on top of your canned goods with an indelible marker.
Store your canned goods (and other heavy foods) as low as possible and your light stuff higher up.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 19:32   #3

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
I try not to use round containers. Square or rectangular is most space-saving. I buy the plastic containers at Target with gaskets and lock down lids to store flour and other dry provisions. Add a bay leaf to each, and never had any bugs (it doesn't change the flavor). They have bounced off the pantry shelf and one even landed in the dog's water dish once with no leakage or damage.

We take months of provisions with us, and store canned goods in large plastic boxes with locking lids in an unused berth with the mattress removed and left at home. Boxes are labeled, (Bake Mix, Vegetables, Meat and Fish, Breakfast Stuff, Snack Box, etc.) and we use a boat hook to move them around for easier access. We write our grocery list on a white board in the galley, and every week or 10 days do a "pantry dive" to get things out of the boxes. Goods we are going to use soon goes in the pantry lockers, and the rest stays dry and out of the way in the plastic boxes. The inventory of the boxes is on an excel spread sheet - printed in a three-ring notebook for easy access. I don't keep track of what is used on the spread sheet - too anal, and I can remember it in my head pretty much.

Any boxed provisions (cake mixes, cereals, etc.) toss the box and store the mix in a ziplock bag with the cooking direcctions cut off the box. Most of the time we buy bagged rather than boxed, but still double seal with a ziplock.

Our daughter gave us a small food saver vaccuum packer which we have on board. We use a bigger one at home for things we bring on board in our original provisioning. If we hadn't been practically skunked last cruise in the fishing department, I think the small food saver would have been nice to have. We keep it in an obscure place where not much else will fit.

Entlie
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 10:21   #4

Has anybody used Vacuvin?

http://www.vacuvin.nl/dining.html
Terry Etapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 17:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Has anybody used Vacuvin?
My wife just got some. Too soon to tell how well they work. So far they seem fine for things that just flat out are hard to store like sugar.

SHe also just found some new Tupperware that stores totaly flat when not in use.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 04:34   #6

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
A great source for food storage containers is the Container Store if you've got one in your area.
I've used Vacuvin for years, but only to seal open wine bottles.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild