Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 10:05   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Galley organization

We bought our new boat late in the season and she is now winterized. This gives us time to consider how we will organize the galley. On our previous boats we mainly day sailed and simply brought along prepared foods. We plan to be out doing some actual cruising which means cooking aboard.

The galley has a good amount of storage space, but the most accessible upper three cabinets are tall (12") but not too deep (12" at the aft end, only 4.5" at the front end). As usual, the doors open from the top so stuff doesn't fall out.

The pots and cooking ware will go below in well sized cabinets under the stove. There is a large drawer for all silverware, ladles, and the like.

How best to organize the dishes, food boxes, spices, etc, in the upper cabinets? For example, we won't have all the spices as we do at home (a lot as my wife likes to cook and she is good at it ) . But spice jars are short and we can't waste the space above them in the cabinets.

How do you have your galleys organized? Words are good, but pictures even better.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:11   #2

Re: Galley organization

Storage is so inherently indivdual that it is almost impossible to fulfill your request. Some folks choose to put different things in different places for different reasons. It's like asking "How do you organize your clothes closet?" Some people don't even put their shoes on the floor. Can you imagine?!?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:30   #3

Some ideas that worked well for us:
-Make the under sink or similar cabinet door with a bottom wood pedestal and put your garbage can on it. (bungie cord) It then swings out to use, stays put, and doesn't smell. On one boat we made it to tip out hinged at bottom instead.
-We made short leather straps on the inside of upper cabinet doors to hold knives in the strap against the door.
-Buy a set of pans that nest. You dont need that many 2 or 3 max in normal sizes.
- WARNING: We had one of those plastic egg holders. We left the boat stored in hot Florida for a summer, we had forgotten we had eggs in it! OMG, never seen anything so gross. They had essentially "melted" in the holder and little bugs were skittering around in the slime! the smell... ohh the smell...!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:55   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Stu: What you write is true, but Cheechako's reply is why I asked. I had not thought of straps inside of the cabinet doors to hold knives. I bet there are a lot of good ideas I would not think up.

Cheechako: Thanks. BTW, I bought a set of nested camping pans which look like they will do well. These are for car camping, so they are stronger than ones for backpack/tent camping.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 11:10   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

On our boat we have some rectangular tupperware style bins to hold the spices. These are maybe 6" x 8" x 4" tall. We do not keep a lid on it. One of these containers will hold a lot of spice jars, corralling them and keeping them from being all over the cabinet. If your lockers are really tall, maybe put a lid on one of these and keep the less used spices in it. Then place another container of the same size on top with the more often used spices.

The narrow portion of the locker seems good for tall bottles like olive oil and something like Pam.

Best of luck!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 11:16   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you're going to have stemware for your wine, you can bond the holder to the overhead of a cabinet, and store something(s) else underneath. You can use large plastic tubs to corral small items within a cupboard, others need a retainer bar (for tall things, like the coffee pot, or a blender-- if you have one.) Friends boat had a narrow shelf, and she bought small wicker baskets to put items in that were stored there, almost like drawers. If your knives are magnetic, you could put a magnetized holder on the cupboard door, to hold them. Some other friends use cut off bits of dowel, height depending on the heighth of the stack of bowls, plates, whatever, glued to the bottom of the cupboard to keep the dishes from moving around and clinking, and also to density-pack them close together, small items forward, larger items, aft, and nestled close together.

As suggested above, you guys will work it out. I saw one boat that had a purpose built spice rack mounted on the inside of the cabin side. How much you want in the way of spices and condiments is a very individual thing. The longer you go away for, the more you accumulate!

Ann
Old 16-09-2019, 11:33   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Don't stress. After three months you'll reorganize. Six months later you'll reorganize again. Another year later you'll get it close enough for you.

I have three wicker baskets on non-skid on the counter for veg and some odds and ends drift in and out (like peelers and can openers). Small drawers so one for flatware and two for cooking utensils.

I am not a fan at all of nesting cookware. I've never used any (and I have used a LOT) on which the handles were sturdy enough. Too much wiggling. I use the Farberware set I bought when I got out of college nearly 40 years ago.

Absolutely be sure you have racks, rails, or some other means of holding items in shelves and lockers.

I keep cleaning stuff under the galley sink.

With regard to spices I have a number, about 26 I think. NO MIXES. Why store Italian seasoning when you have basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme? Same with taco seasoning. Why carry garlic salt when you have garlic and salt? Mix what you need periodically and you will save money, reduce salt and chemicals (read the labels), and turn over your spices more quickly enhancing freshness.

Good knives are as important afloat as ashore. I use a fairly conventional horizontal knife block with a homemade canvas holdfast to keep knives in place in any conditions. I don't trust magnetic holders. Knife safes are fine, but I don't have the drawer space. Someday I'll route slots in my counter but I haven't gotten to that yet.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 09:01   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I was using too much space storing spices. All the jars were different shapes and sizes.

I bought food grade resealable zip pouches on Amazon. I think they were US$12 for 100. Now I keep everyday spices handy and the less used spices get clipped together by type (Mexican, herbs, etc) and put in a harder to reach space. Now if I want to make fajitas I can just grab the "Mexican" group and I'm ready to go.

This works for me, but I live aboard, so both space and variety are a constant challenge. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190917_085038.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	200017Click image for larger version

Name:	20190917_085148.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	200018
Old 18-09-2019, 17:05   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 38

If cooking is important put good quality kitchen gear on board! Every cheap kitchen gadget has been eliminated in favor a carefully selected few items of good quality that are a joy to use. Our philosophy is minimize storage requirements by keeping a minimum quantity of kitchen gear on board, but what we do have is all top quality.
Many of the individual pieces of kitchen gear are used daily.

On longer cruises canned good store in plastic bins in the bilge (which on our cat is normally dry). We try to keep weight low and centered. Any cardboard packaging is left at the dock, with the box contents typically going into marked plastic bags. The plastic bags are stored in bins on a shelf to keep all orderly. A 9 inch bin holds an amazing amount of cake and muffin mixes, and a separate bin holds weeks worth of dry pasta.

Many fresh fruits and veg keep well in hammocks hanging out of direct sunlight.

Tags
galley