Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 14:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 393, 39ft, Pretty
Fridge Temparature Control

I have a problem setting my fridge temperature using the analogue temperature control unit it has. It has levels from 0 to 10 - ten being the coldest. But the temperature it reaches seems to depend on the outside temperature. 6 in summer is a few degrees warmer than freezing temperature while, it gets much colder with the same setting in winter. Is there way to stabilize this? Perhaps a digital control unit. Also, anybody that could tell me how cold I can keep my fridge without exploding soda cans?

Thanks,
MB
mbadem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20   #2

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
mbadem,
Ideally, the temperature inside your fridge should vary only minimally with the outisde temperature so it sound like either the door gaskets are leaky, the door latches are not closing the doors tight enough for a seal, or your box may not have enough insulation (or any combination of the above.)
To answer your question you should be aiming for an inside temperature of about 38 degrees F (3-4 if you're of the Centigrade persuasion) so a setting of 2 o3 three should prevent your soda cans from exploding while keeping your other food from spoiling>
I would also check the door gaskets for leaks and your door latches to see how tightly the keep the doors shut. My fridge has about 6 inches of insulation and door latches like the latches found on commercial freezers. (There should be a photo of it among my images) Just recently, with the tempertaures in the 20s the box was maintaining its 38 degree temperature inside.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator