Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2010, 21:08   #1

Boat: Baba 30
Fridge Cover . . .

Just put some new refrigeration on the boat, and to help save the battery's, I'm trying to find those nifty foil covers that you put inside the fridge to keep the cold in. I know they exist, Ive seen them. Unfortunately, the boat I saw them on , I have no way of contacting. So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it . Ty,
Tracy
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 11:20   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
My better half cut up a couple of "space age blankets" or some such description and sewed several layers together in the appropriate size.
Worked great, especially since you only had to lift a corner to get whatever out of the icebox. Unless, as she pointed out, you're a male and can't remember what side the cold beer is on.
Old 19-07-2010, 11:25   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We use closed cell foam. You can get it at Walmart in the camping section used for ground sheets or yoga mats.
Old 19-07-2010, 11:50   #4

Try a car windshield cover, quilted aluminum and poly - you can find them at Wal Mart and such stores for a few dollars
Old 19-07-2010, 12:36   #5

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
You might be thinking of this:
UltraTouch 4 Ft. x 6 Ft. Radiant Barrier - 30000-11406 at The Home Depot
I sewed this up in stamoid for mechanical stability and to keep moisture out of the insulation. Did panels for the ice box sides that just press in, easy to remove and clean, pretty darn effective for such thin insulation.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 18:50   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Do any of you who have done what kiper204 is inquiring about have any data as to lower temps, less compressor cycling, batteries holding up better, or any other noticeable improvement(s) to your refrig/freezer efficiency? Thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:15   #7

Boat: Baba 30
I thank everyone for their responses... I found a company that custom makes a cover with the measurements from the top of the fridge inside. We have been testing its efficiency, and because of it the juice that our Alder Barbour was sucking down was nearly cut in half. We are now able to turn down the temp from setting 6 to 3 and it still makes ice cubes. If anyone else is interested heres a link for the company , and what they call an "ice saver"

STANDOUT YACHT FITTINGS | Welcome to Standout Yacht Fittings
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:40   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
One thing you can do that really helps reduce the energy draw of top loading fridges is to get a piece of sheet neoprene (the stuff that wetsuits are made of) and cut a piece that lays over the fridge covers with about 4-6 inches extra around the edges. It insulates, prevents air from leaking in or out, and also provides a nonskid surface! Works great for me. You can get it online by just googling sheet neoprene.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Fridge Insulation

We spent six years cruising in the Sea of Cortez and as far south as El Salvador -- summer temps were often over 100 for days on end. Add to that our refrigerator was next to the engine and next to the companionway with the sun beating down on the (dark) teak surround. We did everything we could to add extra insulation. Several ideas:

We got a rubber mat, cut it to the exact dimensions of the counter top (less 1/2" all around) and had a canvas shop put a vinyl cover over it (the seams made up that 1/2" so it was now the exact size of the counter top) and laid it on the counter over the fridge. Since this was my main food prep counter, the vinyl made it easy to keep clean (I thought about the neoprene idea, but knew I couldn't keep it clean enough without some sort of cover). To get into the fridge, I just flipped the cover back.

We got two auto windshield reflectors -- duct-taped one around the outside of the refrigerator with the silver side out to keep that teak enclosure from heating up, and laid one inside the fridge on top of all the food. We eventually cut that one in half and just used it over the side with the chill plate, which we got into much less frequently (there were two openings side by side, but we got into one side much more often than the other, and having an extra layer of insulation there just made it too hard to get to the drinks). NOTE: While it wasn't exactly pretty, the reflector around the outside of the compartment did a lot to reduce our energy consumption!

Friends on a boat coming down from the US bought some of that blue insulation foam (hard sheets) at Home Depot and cut pieces to fit in the top of their refrigerator and inside the lid, then used silicone to hold them in place. They said it did a lot of good, but we couldn't find that type of material where we were, so I can't personally vouch for it.

We did get some of that Space Age insulation and used it inside the engine compartment on the common wall with the refrigerator. It didn't do as much to help the refrigerator as we had expected, but it did help to some extent.

Another thing that almost every boat in the Sea of Cortez did in the summer was to hang something -- an auto windshield reflector, a piece of white Sunbrella, whatever -- on the outside of the hull over the refrigerator. Dark-hulled boats said this made a HUGE difference to them; we noticed a small improvement (we had a very high gloss new white paint job).

Other things that will help are loading up the refrigerator with drinks after sunset so that the compressor is working to chill them down with the cooler night air and developing a strict organization system so that everyone on board knows exactly where things are and the refrigerator doesn't have to stay open any longer than necessary -- and putting the drinks in the most accessible place!
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:19   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
my boat was made with an access portal for the fridge on the cockpit side of the bulkhead... is convenient and keeps the fridge from heating up when someone in cockpit cant figger out why they went in the box in the first place. is nice these older boats had such lovely conveniences for the crew.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09   #11

A late reply, but how about a couple of layers of bubble wrap on top of the frozen stuff?
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator