Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 08:57   #16

Re: Fresh water tankage sizing for Atlantic crossing

Friend used about 100 one-quart plastic soda bottles filled with water and stuffed in all those inaccessible and unused spaces on a boat. His idea was that some may go bad, some may leak, but with all those individual bottles, most probably would make it ok. He was right. We know this because we bought the boat and found all those bottles hidden away everywhere, still full.

Still, a simple reverse osmosis water maker for salt to fresh water is a good safety feature to have, even a hand operated one.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:20   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

When I crossed, I planned on 2 l per person per day. We were 4 adult males, and I planned on a generous 30 days, so a total of 240 l. So we bought 200 l in 1.5 l bottles. We used less than half of it. Here's why:

I was the only one who drank water...ever. The rest of the crew only drank beer, wine, hard liquor, and the occasional pop as mix in their drinks (gin&tonic, rum&coke, etc).

We also had tank water...but this was used exclusively for showers! Yes, the rest of the crew insisted on a shower at least every second day. When the tank water was gone, they started pouring bottled water into the tank, so they could shower. When they insisted I have a shower too, I poured a bottle of water over my head...done. The boat wreaked of the ocean, diesel (from pouring fuel cans into the main tank every day), and dead fish (from flying fish left in the sun, and the bits of guts lying about from the fish we caught). Even so, the skipper would wait at the bottom of the companionway ladder and spray our butts with aerosol deodorant when we would climb down the ladder.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:14   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It sounds like inadequate water for that many people.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:50   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I do understand the economics of life, it's why I have a 30 yr old boat
But seriously, it's the 21st century, there is no reason why under normal circumstances you can't be showering every day, using as much water as you want to.
I'd cut down on Beer if I had to, to pay for a watermaker
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:10   #20

2 liters a day per person seems rather stingy if not unhealthy. Not to judge another person, but when we were out sailing long distances, we kept the booze tucked away. Brought it out at landfall. Never thought booze and sailing were good companions when going offshore. Kind of like airline piloting and booze: not the best combination.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:34   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think it would kill a great many people if they could have their several drinks a day, and if alcohol withdrawal didn't you would likely have to in self defense
Old 11-05-2016, 11:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think it would kill a great many people if they could have their several drinks a day, and if alcohol withdrawal didn't you would likely have to in self defense
When you're out sailing for days on end crossing oceans, you really have to keep your wits about you. Being inebriated seems foolhardy at best. Besides, it real easy to get into bad situations without having one's brains dulled. Think most cruising families would agree with this. The Sea is hypnotic enough as it is.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
2 liters a day per person seems rather stingy if not unhealthy. Not to judge another person, but when we were out sailing long distances, we kept the booze tucked away. Brought it out at landfall. Never thought booze and sailing were good companions when going offshore. Kind of like airline piloting and booze: not the best combination.
I totally agree with you.

There is not a moment when I don't want to be fully prepared mentally for a disaster. Being drunk on a passage is courting disaster.

Despite all the requisite questions and assurances before signing on, I found myself the designated driver on a 4000 mile booze cruise.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:06   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Went nearly a month on 35 gallons of water on the sail to the Marquesas and first week there. Was pretty much our usage for the year in French Polynesia. Turned off the pressure water and only used foot pump for both fresh and salt water. Washed down and rinsed with salt waters and a final with a pot of fresh waterwater. Took advantage of rain showers to wash up. Used salt water for everything but drinking, cooking, and a freshwater rinse. We didn't purposely ration water but were just careful in its use. You can blow through a lot of water if you are profligate with it but only need a little if you take some care.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
When all the alcohol had been consumed, every last drop, and we were still several hundred mile from Antigua, it got very tense aboard. With no booze, the skipper et al became quite argumentative and agitated. I did consider my safety from attack, and especially while asleep. But fortunately, I was much larger and stronger than the rest of the crew, which I believe kept them at bay. Also, they were fatigued from drinking day and night for almost a month. Still though, I had a plan. I promised my kids I would come back...and I intended to make good on that promise, no matter what. It very nearly came to blows just a few miles from english harbour. I had been up from 11-5 on my night watch, and the skipper woke me at 7am to prepare to come into the harbour, which did not actually happen till after noon. Tension, starvation, dehydration, lack of sleep...anything could have happened, and very nearly did.

When you get to Antigua, customs/immigration asks 2 questions:
1) How many people aboard?
2) How many did you start with?

Think about it.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
When I crossed, I planned on 2 l per person per day. We were 4 adult males, and I planned on a generous 30 days, so a total of 240 l. So we bought 200 l in 1.5 l bottles. We used less than half of it. Here's why:

I was the only one who drank water...ever. The rest of the crew only drank beer, wine, hard liquor, and the occasional pop as mix in their drinks (gin&tonic, rum&coke, etc).

We also had tank water...but this was used exclusively for showers! Yes, the rest of the crew insisted on a shower at least every second day. When the tank water was gone, they started pouring bottled water into the tank, so they could shower. When they insisted I have a shower too, I poured a bottle of water over my head...done. The boat wreaked of the ocean, diesel (from pouring fuel cans into the main tank every day), and dead fish (from flying fish left in the sun, and the bits of guts lying about from the fish we caught). Even so, the skipper would wait at the bottom of the companionway ladder and spray our butts with aerosol deodorant when we would climb down the ladder.
Interesting crew!!!

Surprised that they didn't shower in Whisky as well?

I never drink alcohol underway. I know, I'm boring... The more reason to drink once you arrive...

Hamburking - it's a hell of a story, everybody's laughing over here. I will tell everybody...you could sell this story!

Cheers / "Skål"
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 14:25   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Where the hell did booze get into the initial question? I think his 48 or so gal. is not enough for 4 or 5 people. 2 or 3 kids on a trans Atlantic. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 16:20   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Booze came from one mans experiences, I believe also that alcohol among its other deleterious effects also dehydrates you pretty effectively, meaning I assume that if you have a drinker, they are going to need more water than someone who doesn't.
I know if I drink much, I'm up every couple of hours having to pee.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-05-2016, 17:53   #29

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Yeah water equivalent onboard=(h20 carried+(0.9xuht milk)+(0.5xtins)+(0.75xsoda and other fizzy drinks))-Alcohol carried... Its a serious diuretic, so are tea and coffee to a lesser extent I believe. I usualy carry a small amount of warm beer for special occasions, when half a can of beer is a nice treat, eg half way party.

As long as all the crew are on the same wavelength with water conservation I dont think you will have an issue with somewhere around 3 ltr per day per person. Though I havent done much offshore stuff in the tropics.

It would be interesting getting some feedback from those cruising the west indies as far as fresh water costs and quality. That may be a bigger issue than the voyage over?

If you have the money I far prefer stainless steel tanks because the water seems to taste much better than what comes out of a lukewarm plastic tank. But a flexi tank up in the bow, or shoved somewhere awkward under the cockpit is a simple cheap addition.

I often buy water in the 10ltr plastic bladders. They can be taken out of the cardboard boxes and fit and completely fill awkward spots like in the bilge. They seem reasonably tough as long as you are smart about where they are stowed. Id use them up first though.. Your hot water tank can have a valve put in it so it doesnt get hot, then that gives you another 15 ltrs or so.

A long time ago on a trip up to Tonga from NZ we lost half our water when the stb tank leaked dry. It was a very slow leak, and the auto bilge pump pumped it all overboard. Make sure all your plumbing is in good order!
Old 11-05-2016, 17:59   #30

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We always carry water in plastic containers on deck when crossing an ocean. We generally use the deck water for showers which makes it easy to keep track of how fast it is going away.

We also keep a few jugs as back up just in case something happens to the main water supply.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, fresh water tank, water