Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 03:29   #91

Boat: Beneteau First 21.7
Re: French Press coffee pot recommendation

I put in my vote for the Aeropress which I've used onboard very successfully. Only downside is the one cup at a time it will do.
In a pinch, in bad weather, I have found the Starbucks Via Ready Brew packets to turn out a surprisingly good cup of strong coffee. Keep a box of them around when you need a quick cup of strong coffee better than other instant brands.
Maayanspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:24   #92

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Everyone who uses a French Press should try the Caffi filter bags. (I have no affiliation-just a satisfied user). They allow you to use a finer grind (for more flavorful coffee) and prevent/reduce grounds from coming through. Also makes cleaning a much quicker and neater job - just dump the bag of grounds and rinse the pot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016CAVCS0/
They make sizes for smaller and larger pots.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:10   #93
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I remember when a cuppa Joe cost that much served to you in a restaurant.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:18   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I remember when a cuppa Joe cost that much served to you in a restaurant.
When restaurant coffee was cheap it was crap too, and we didn’t know about anything better.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49   #95

It’s all a matter of taste but I’ve used an AeroPress for several years and converted my husband from filter machines and Folgers 🙄. There is hope. An AeroPress is perfect for single brewed coffee but great coffee is only as good as freshly roasted beans and a ceramic burr coffee bean grinder. I use a Japanese Porlex grinder. Both those two items save space.
Chopine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:28   #96

Boat: O'Day 40

You can make 2 Americanos with an Aeropress. Just brew according to the directions that come with it and add hot water. Still smooth and strong.
Old 10-11-2018, 14:03   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Everyone who uses a French Press should try the Caffi filter bags. (I have no affiliation-just a satisfied user). They allow you to use a finer grind (for more flavorful coffee) and prevent/reduce grounds from coming through. Also makes cleaning a much quicker and neater job - just dump the bag of grounds and rinse the pot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016CAVCS0/
They make sizes for smaller and larger pots.

PS- This allows you to get Aeropress-like quality coffee in a larger pit.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:21   #98

What I've found to be perfect for sailing is the Imusa 6 Cup Stainless Steel Stovetop Coffeemaker. It's simple to use, makes a great cup of coffee, is self-contained and only $20.99 thru Amazon. Mine makes one mug, so I believe when they say six cups it's most likely the small espresso cups one may get while in Europe. The beauty of this unit is there are no screens to wear out, it cleans up with a quick rinse, and makes a cup of coffee in a matter of minutes. I've been on a few boats that have used these guys and have heard no complaints. Oh, and they're relatively small so they don't take up a lot of space! The one I have is made in Italy, I'm sure there are others out there that may be better but I feel, for those who prefer just one cup of joe, this little guy is just the ticket.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:23   #99
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Moka pot and history of espresso https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/make-coffee-moka-pot.amp
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 16:09   #100

Thanks 61,
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 16:36   #101

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I too am a fan of aeropress. I also have an stainless vacuum insulated French press for when more than 1 cup is needed. With both of these I am challenged to not make a mess cleaning out the grounds. Maybe it's just me.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 16:37   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I too am a fan of aeropress. I also have an stainless vacuum insulated French press for when more than 1 cup is needed. With both of these I am challenged to not make a mess cleaning out the grounds. Maybe it's just me.

With the Aeropress, I press the grounds down to a puck, take off the grille and eject the grounds with a solid push. It usually comes out as a single puck, and I just have to wipe or rinse the plunger face.

For our French press, it's taken a while to evolve a satisfactory technique. What seems to work best is filling the carafe to about 1/3 of the way up, then swirl carefully and and dump it smoothly while everything's still moving. If I do it right, there's almost no grounds left in the carafe.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:40   #103

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

This may not seem different than just using a filter but the screen allows the oils to go through. I saved my screen from my broken French press. I put coffee in a standard thermos let it sit in hot water for the desired time and then pour it through. Super easy clean up and I can make as many cups of coffee as I want by adding cheap thermoses.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181212_082454~2.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	182042
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:06   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
With the Aeropress, I press the grounds down to a puck, take off the grille and eject the grounds with a solid push. It usually comes out as a single puck, and I just have to wipe or rinse the plunger face.

For our French press, it's taken a while to evolve a satisfactory technique. What seems to work best is filling the carafe to about 1/3 of the way up, then swirl carefully and and dump it smoothly while everything's still moving. If I do it right, there's almost no grounds left in the carafe.
@Lake-Effect you should try the Caffi filters I posted about, above.
Old 03-01-2019, 23:15   #105

Another aeropress user here. It makes the coffee tasty and smooth.
grecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, men