Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 11:36   #1

Boat: islandpacket
Freezer or refrigeration

I have been using an Engel electric portable cooler. I like it alot and I am considering rebuilding the boats built-in ice box. This is not a search for diffrent makes and models of cooling units or weather to and how to rebuild the box.
But a generalized preference. I will continue to use my engel and my question is whether to convert the built-in ice box to refrigeration or a freezer.

The engel works great for refrigeration and I could use this as my daily refrigeration and the idea of using the ice box as a large freezer is very appealing. I don't have the room or have the money for two built-in systems.
I don't like the split systems with the small freezer box in the refer, they dont hold much and the ones I've used dont seem to work well. I have the solar and batteries to handle this.
My feeling is to install the freezer 8_qf. And use my engle as my daily refrigeration. Normally just the 2 of us.
I know its a personal thing.
I havent been out more than a few weeks at a time and am now planning for longer trips.
After running out of fresh items, I get very tired of canned and have little experience with frozen items on-board,
But dream of a month or more of frozen meals.
What say you all. Whats been your experience and preference .
Many thanks to you all. Alan
Old 17-05-2017, 11:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Freezer or refrigeration

Alan, sounds like a good plan, just don't penny pinch on the insulation and you should be able to store lots of steaks and fish for going off the beaten path.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 11:52   #3

My feelings exactly. Thanks
Old 18-05-2017, 08:49   #4

hope it's a compressor type fridge. Peltier devices really chew up the juice
dlymn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 17:01   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

I think it is a very personal use type thing. We have a smaller freezer and decent sized frigd in a spillover system. I would not want a large freezer. They take a lot of energy to run. We've crossed the Pacific and lived aboard for 7 years and don't see a need for a large freezer. Staying on top of procuring fresh veggies and fruits is more of an issue for us and these end up in the frigd. We aren't huge meat eaters. If we were maybe I'd want a bigger freezer.
We have friends who built in two side by side Engels into their counter top. One frigd, one a freezer. Worked very well for them.
Old 18-05-2017, 17:30   #6

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

Here is our Engel MT80 on 32"-64" 500lb rated slides. The slides are great, no flex. This is our freezer.

Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 19:04   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Wow FS, that looks like a great install. Obviously the unit gets enough airflow even though the Engel openings are deep inside the cabinets, correct?
Old 18-05-2017, 19:18   #8

Maybe I'll reverse my thoughts. Large refer & Engel freezer.
Good idea.
Old 18-05-2017, 19:34   #9

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Wow FS, that looks like a great install. Obviously the unit gets enough airflow even though the Engel openings are deep inside the cabinets, correct?
So far so good but it's just starting to get warmer outside so we will see. I was going to have the vented side facing out but the cord was easier this way, I can turn it around if I need to.
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:01   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi Badsanta
We think portable fridges are ideal for boats and on our new boat we are planning to instal one as a fridge in the galley and a second as a freezer in the workshop or lazarette, which may only be in use intermittently. The second unit will also double up as a backup in case the other ever fails. The better models tend to be super reliable, but redundancy is still nice.

I concur with others. If you are not a huge meat eater, fridge space is more valuable than freezer space. I have found ladling and casserole type meals or soups in glass jars straight off the boil and quickly sealing them, keeps them fresh for a week or two without freezing them. It greatly reduces the need for a freezer.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 13:27   #11

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa Scott View Post
So far so good but it's just starting to get warmer outside so we will see. I was going to have the vented side facing out but the cord was easier this way, I can turn it around if I need to.
Yup, cords can be a pain. Good for ya and I hope it stays in "the zone".
Old 21-05-2017, 05:32   #12

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

+1 on the Engel fridge! I have a drop-in unit under the counter, but if I had the room I would install another one. The nice thing about Engel fridges is you can use them as a fridge or freezer. This can be handy as you might start a passage with frozen meat and stuff and after a week or two use the unit as a fridge when the meat is gone. In port you can turn one off if not needed. The power use is very low and they are known for their reliability.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:10   #13

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa Scott View Post
Here is our Engel MT80 on 32"-64" 500lb rated slides. The slides are great, no flex. This is our freezer.

Great install. JMHO but unless you have unlimited electricity you would be crazy not to put the vents to the out side. PS I'm pretty sure you can change the side that the hinges are on so the door can open in the most convenient way . I know on my Engel I can.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 16:34   #14

Totally worth it (freezer). Love having ice cream aboard and able to make small ice cubes. And yes, freezing meat and specialty items goes a long way. If you are foodies I can't imagine a boat w/o.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, refrigeration