Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 11:01   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Freeze dried food

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
If you want some speciality items maybe I can look around and see what they have, then pick it up and ship.
Many stores here in Utah specialize in freeze dried food in bulk. We bought some a while back, they ship to your door. Not associated with the LDS, but they make their living here.
Very kind of you. Thank you. I'm not in need of anything right now (I have my own stock of dried food to get through), but perhaps the in the future.
Old 25-12-2015, 11:29   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

My grandson got a package of Freeze Dried Ice Cream Sandwich for Christmas.
Freeze Dried Ice Cream Sandwich | Astronaut

Who’d a thunk?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 11:33   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Who’d a thunk?
And it actually tastes good to. Just open and eat
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 21:42   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Who’d a thunk?

Funny... We were given two packs of astronaut icecream a few years ago. We ate them following our first overnight sail with the new boat. Kinda tasted like ice cream. Not exactly what I'd call yummy, but crunchy and, well, edible.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 12-01-2016, 20:04   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Army, we ate a LOT of MRE's, (meals ready to eat) which to start with were heavily freeze dried, as well as LURP's (long range patrol rations)...
Good grief, I loved LURP rations, especially shrimp and rice! Wish I had some now. A senior NCO in the First Special Forces Group on Okinawa wanted field rations for the indige he was running in Nam. Told by the CIA it would take five years and cost five million dollars to develop he went home to Okie and in six weeks, working in his kitchen, had five different rice-based meals ready to go. We had boxes and boxes of them stacked up in the team rooms.

Perfect for an attack of the munchies.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:48   #66

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Harvest is having a contest right now, 3 winners will get $2000 discount off their regular price. And it is open for all, not only US residents
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 07:19   #67
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Would people here really eat this stuff?

Quote:

Ingredients: ICE CREAM SANDWICH (WAFER (BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, SUGAR, CARAMEL COLOR, CORN SUGAR, VEGETABLE SHORTENING (PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OILS: SOYBEAN, COTTONSEED), CORN FLOUR, CORN SYRUP, COCOA, CORN STARCH-MODIFIED, SALT, BAKING SODA, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN), VANILLA ICE CREAM (MILKFAT AND NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, WHEY, STABILIZED AND EMULSIFIED BY MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, CELLULOSE GUM AND CARRAGEENAN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR AND VEGETABLE ANNATTO COLOR)).
Unless you are dehydrating food yourself, all these foods are totally processed, totally unnatural and totally going to head you down the short path into a long wooden box.

Cruising is very healthy and passage making is the most healthy.
Not only do you have plenty of time to cook excellent fresh nutritious food but, nowadays, efficient fridges and freezers to hold excellent food maintaining its quality.

Yes, its lovely to have a treat or 2 on passage, even a sugary one, boat made cake, dark chocolate etc, but stuffing the gob for 3 weeks with processed sugar, HFCS, vege oils (not olive or coconut, they are good), corn deruvitaves and chemicals you can not pronounce is going to adversly affect your health.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:13   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
Harvest is having a contest right now, 3 winners will get $2000 discount off their regular price. And it is open for all, not only US residents
Frog thanks for the tip
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:44   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Would people here really eat this stuff?
I am more puzzled with this - how on earth do you rehidrate ice cream? Harvest has a video with dehydrated ice cream, OK, I can understand that, but how to get it back??? You can't just put it in water, it is ice cream, right? Or the above mentioned ice cream sandwitch...
Old 15-01-2016, 11:14   #70

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

You eat the ice cream as is. but that stuff is so full of bad things it brings junk food to a whole new level.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 13:28   #71

Like I say, I've eaten the ice cream. It's hard, and brittle and (obviously) not frozen. It kinda tastes like cheap ice cream ... if you use your imagination. It could also pass for any brittle candy. I certainly wouldn't rush out to buy the stuff (it was a gift). A good hunk of real chocolate is a far better treat.

I've been dehydrating my own food for decades, mostly for use on extended remote canoe/kayak trips. I know exactly what's in my food ... it's called food . I've tried a lot of commercial stuff and have never been very impressed with the quality, taste or cost. But l certainly haven't tried them all, and it does look like some of the bulk suppliers sell their stuff pretty cheap.

I had the "pleasure" of trying military MRE a couple of months ago. Gave me a whole new level of appreciation of the sacrifice our military folks make . That stuff was terrible!
Old 18-01-2016, 10:35   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I am more puzzled with this - how on earth do you rehidrate ice cream? Harvest has a video with dehydrated ice cream, OK, I can understand that, but how to get it back??? You can't just put it in water, it is ice cream, right? Or the above mentioned ice cream sandwitch...
I remember 'Astronaut Ice Cream" as a kid in the late 60's, early 70's. It was sweet, and pure novelty. I only ate it once (expensive) and curiosity was abated. ...and of course it was the first thing I was asked to freeze dry after getting my machine. *sigh*

One point as an aside (please don't beat me up), Freeze Drying and Dehydrating are two different process and, aside from removing the water, achieve two different results. I see the terms used interchangeably here and thought I'd toss that out.

-sterling
DailyLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 02:31   #73

Thanks every who answered my inquiry. I have now spoken to several yachties who have been up there and there is very little even in local markets, which are very few and far between, because the population is extremely poor. I will be able to go 'whisky fishing' if I don't catch anything myself. Only really two places to get anything out side Thailand, Kwthang where we check in and our furthest point north in the Magui islands. ut everything is very limited. Fortunately I have a freezer and have been down to Lankawi and stocked up on water buffalo fillets and the markets and supermarkets in Phuket are brilliant.
Susie Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:56   #74

For anyone interested - Harvest is having a contest again, open for everybody, not limited to US residents. $2000 off the price of their machine for a winner.

PS I have no affiliation with Harvest whatsoever
Old 22-04-2016, 05:32   #75

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We've tried a variety of freeze dried/dehydrated foods. What works for us are freeze dried minced red peppers and dehydrated shallots & onions and mushrooms. The minced red peppers are great for adding to dishes, omelets, etc. Freeze dried shallots are quite expensive, but the dehydrated shallots are great once rehydrated. We buy these from northbaytrading.com. Dehydrated mushrooms we by from oriental markets.

The dehydrated/MRE meals end up being rather expensive. You an do much better yourself if you don't mind cooking.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food