Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 08:43   #1
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Force 10 Stove / Oven

We have a beautiful Force 10 (4) burner stove and oven. We just moved aboard a few months ago and have since started using the oven for cooking. We have found that the oven doesn't get any hotter than 250 degrees F which makes it difficult to bake. I've checked the propane pressure and there isn't any issue. We have plenty of propane pressure to run all four burners and the oven at the same time. It simply seems like the burner in the oven doesn't put out enough BTU to heat beyond 250F. In addition, it takes forever to get to 250F.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with a Force 10???
4 Burner Gimballed Galley Ranges
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 08:54   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You don't say how old your model is. There are a few problems with older Force tens. One common problem is that the burner jet gets clogged and not enough propane gets through. I clean mine with a dentist's pick. Sometimes the jet has to be removed (7mm socket) to be cleaned properly. Another problem is that if it's an older one with the aluminum diffuser plate over a single burner, the plate warps and stops the oven from getting hot. The fix for this is to take the plate out, heat with a torch and straighten.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:05   #3
cruiser

The stove is only a couple years old, 3 at most and has hardly ever been used since it was installed. We didn't start using it till we moved aboard recently and my wife is becoming very frustrated with the thing.

And yes, the aluminum plate is very warped and we don't even use it as it seemed to get hotter with out it. I guess this could be the problem. Does the oven rely on this plate to generate heat?
Old 16-06-2008, 09:29   #4

Yes, if it has an aluminum plate over the burner it's an older model. I have one. First clean the burner jet then flatten the aluminum plate and your oven will be as good as new.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:59   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Is it just the older Force 10's that have these issues? I was trying to decide on an upgrade for our older stove and oven and was trying to choose between Force 10 and a Seaward Princess.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 10:02   #6
cruiser

What are the newer Force 10 using in the stove to replace the aluminum plate heating elemnt?
Old 16-06-2008, 10:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Is it just the older Force 10's that have these issues? I was trying to decide on an upgrade for our older stove and oven and was trying to choose between Force 10 and a Seaward Princess.

I think it's only the older ones. I have a three burner from 1988 and a three burner from 2003. The new stove has had few problems, just one issue - a broiler that was always falling apart. I did not replace the broiler as it took up too much room in the oven anyway.

The older stove is another story. Every spring after winter layup I have to clean the jets. The automatic lighter went out the first year, haven't used it since. The wiring all corroded. The oven was a problem as it was just a burner like the top burners with a heavy aluminum plate over it. The new ovens have a long tube burner and are thermostatically controlled. I would not hesitate getting a new Force Ten.
Old 26-02-2009, 22:03   #8

Boat: Swanson 36
Force 10 stove not hot

Your problem is the diffuser plate.
You mentioned that you don't us it. Without this plate in place the stove will not get to the proper temperature.
New Force 10's have a Stainless Steel diffuser plate and a tube shaped burner at the back of the oven.
kalitsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 23:14   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
no comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I had a Seaward Princess on the last boat, and have a Force 10 on the new boat (a 2006 model). The Force 10 works far better, both in terms of the oven and the stoves. I'd never go back.
Old 13-12-2009, 03:44   #10

Boat: lagoon 57 cat 'merlin'
I also had problems with oven not heating up, Force 10 was excellent about responding to my emails, they said check that the stainless heat plate over the burner was all the way to the back of the oven, no space, I found that mine was made so that there was a gap between it and the back of the oven, Force 10 said this would allow heat to just rise up and go out the vent. I turned the plate upside down and pushed it all the way back, works better. Was this a design or fabrication error ? dont know.
H2OHOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 05:42   #11

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Trim, along with the above suggestions, keep in mind that burner orifices (what I think some folks are calling 'jets') don't clog up based on amount of use along but also as a result of contaminants that are picked up by the propane as it's being compressed. This is especially noticeable in the Caribbean, I suspect because the suppliers are using older compressors with some hydraulic leak-by. Can't tell you how many Force 10 owners I've heard with this same problem and cleaning the orifice has always resulted in a fix. I'm not familiar with the plate being discussed as our Force 10 is from 1997 (and still working great after 8 years of cruising). But if adjusting the heat plate doesn't 100% fix the problem (your oven should heat up to 450F or more, and fairly promptly), I'd suggest you clean the orifice.

Let me know (PM) if you want the (very simple) directions...

Jack
Old 13-12-2009, 06:11   #12

Force 10 suggests that the orifices be cleaned every year. Contrary to my earlier post about using a dental pick, they advise soaking it in solvent. I use a 7mm socket to remove the orifices.
Old 13-12-2009, 06:57   #13

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
If it helps, I tried heating ours for about 30 minutes over the weekend and the temp guage on it showed 425F and still rising. That was with the lower burner going - not the top.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 07:07   #14

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Force 10 is only a phone call away... FORCE 10 - Cooking Without Compromise - Contact Us

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 14:02   #15

Boat: Boatless
I have a new force 10 4 burner stove with a stainless oven plate and bake often. The only problem I have experienced is that the plate is warped and sometimes the heat is not even. I have contacted force 10 and am awaiting a resolution to this problem
I still think it is an excellent stove with an oven that heats quickly.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven