Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 17:10   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Force 10 Stove Battery

I want to replace my Force 10 ignition battery. The manual says the holder is on the front right side under the door (on most models). I can't find any battery holder on the botton at all.

Anyone know when the darn thing might be?
Old 18-05-2014, 17:14   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Force 10 stove battery

Ours is tucked up under the stove. I need to turn the stove over to get to it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 17:17   #3

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Mine is on the under side of the oven - right side. Need access from the bottom - I swing the oven on the gimbals and lay on cabin sole for changing the battery.
Old 18-05-2014, 17:21   #4
CLOD

I can see all of the bottom, but don't see any battery holder. The only wires on the bottom I see go to the oven burner.
Old 18-05-2014, 17:28   #5

I'll be on the boat tomorrow. I'll see if I can get a photo to send you. This oven is an older model..?
Old 18-05-2014, 17:37   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
I'll be on the boat tomorrow. I'll see if I can get a photo to send you. This oven is an older model..?
2001 model boat so I expect the stove the same age
Old 19-05-2014, 14:26   #7
CLOD

All those Force 10 stoves out there, should I take the low response as my not being alone in not replacing the battery?

BTW - the battery in mine has to be at least 4 years old now. I'm impressed it is still working regardless of the use.
Old 19-05-2014, 14:36   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

The igniter control board assembly is buried on the back panel of the stove, upper RH corner when looking at the stove. Battery holder is on underside of stove, front RH side. I gave up on trying to keep mine working, and use a B-B-Que lighter.
Old 19-05-2014, 16:04   #9

Couldn't get photo, but battery holder is also on the front right side of bottom sitting on folded flange. Mine works on occasion so we also use a BBQ lighter. No problem...
I guess I have higher priority items on my list before I tend to that. Good luck
Old 19-05-2014, 16:24   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The Force Ten igniter is a joke. Rusts out in a few years. I've had two of these stoves. The wires rust out and the whole battery assembly also rusts out. You will end up using a barbecue lighter. Have never had to replace a battery as it rusts out before the battery dies.
Old 19-05-2014, 16:37   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Force Ten igniter is a joke. Rusts out in a few years. I've had two of these stoves. The wires rust out and the whole battery assembly also rusts out. You will end up using a barbecue lighter. Have never had to replace a battery as it rusts out before the battery dies.
Yep !!
Old 19-05-2014, 16:48   #12
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
And here mine is 13 years old and lights great on a battery that I know is at least 4 years old!

Maybe I shouldn't keep trying to replace the battery.
Old 19-05-2014, 16:56   #13

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

Ours is old. Probably not as old as the boat (26 years) but it is definitely older than 2001.
Don't know if it helps, but our battery is exactly the same place as all the others:
under the oven, right hand side, close to the front (the door).
Battery has been there forever. Just replaced it a couple of days ago.
Starts the grill on the first spark, the stove heads are a bit tricky and the oven needs a bit of patience.
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 17:37   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Ours is on the right, but in the back, only near the door when the door is fully open and slid under the oven. Either way ours is 3 years old and shows no signs of rust.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 18:57   #15

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Ours is on the right, but in the back, only near the door when the door is fully open and slid under the oven. Either way ours is 3 years old and shows no signs of rust.

+1

On the 2001 model the battery (single AA) is on the bottom right attached to the upper side of the flange for the right-hand side chassis plate. The negative is tied to the chassis ground.

The HV ladder is a sealed unit (oil filled) which puts out 16-18kV pulsed and is bolted onto a flange of the lowest rear support plate.

The blades of the ladder can rust over time. I've just reconditioned mine. I replaced the spade connectors, reconnected and then potted the connectors with Scotchcast so that they'd be sealed. The unit is 15 years old and fine. The most typical failure points for igniter system is corrosion (or flattening) of the press-pad switches at each knob, followed by aging of the high-temp wire (causing too high voltage drop prior to the HV ladder input) followed by contact corrosion.

The cables are easy to replace (check resistance with multimeter) and the switches easy to clean/rejuvenate.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Tags
battery