Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 12:54   #1

Boat: PDQ Capella 36
Force 10 oven troubles

I have never seen a force 10 oven work right, so I read the manual and need some input on a problem I have.

Our 2004-era Force10 2-burn stove/oven combo only works ok on the stove. Except electric ignition - that seems to fire about once a year, randomly. I have replaced the battery and checked the connections. All seems fine. I've just given up on that and start it with a lighter.

The oven and broiler is a whole other thing - unusable. The broiler runs for about a minute, then with a foop, the flame disappears and a high gurgling sound starts coming out of the burner. No heat. Applying a lighter, does not light.
After some time, I believe the safety thermocouple closes and then small propane gas POOF, and it's stopped.

The regular oven burner experiences similar trouble.

The regulator on the system is quite old and corroded, so I am targeting this for replacement, and then I will see if I can find 2004-era parts and replace the burners.

Thoughts welcome, I don't know how well these stoves age, but I see no reason to toss it and replace when they are such simple things.

Particularly appreciate references for 2004-era parts. Should I try to get the electric ignition working? Is it needed for any part of the oven's operation after it's been lit?
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 13:38   #2

Re: Force 10 oven troubles

Interesting post! Weve owned two boats with Force 10 stoves, one an 05 Sabre 386, the other our current Tug.
Both have never failed to light quickly and easily. Both ovens work/worked just nicely including the broiler.
I do know that the ignition control relay assembly fails on the stoves, we have a spare aboard but ours have been fine. I believe that as long as you hold the knob in until the thermocouple warms up the stove should work fine no matter the ignition source.
Im curious and will follow this thread.
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 16:49   #3

Boat: Bruckmann 50
Re: Force 10 oven troubles

They sell the ignition boxes at Defender. We just had to replace ours after 16 years. Works great now. The battery box on the old one is subject to corrosion and could be causing a random outage. They sell a new one that is more substantial. Also if it is not lighting on just one or two burners but will on the others Force 10 has a procedure on their website to increase the spring tension on the knob. It has worked for me in the past.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven