Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2014, 18:03   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Force 10 oven issue

We are having an issue with our Force 10 oven. Not sure of it's age, the boat is an 82, a major refit in 86...

All three burners work fine, the broiler function in the oven works fine, but the oven burner will not stay lit. It comes on, lights up fine, I hold the burner knob in for a bit, and slowly release it, and the flame goes out.

I am thinking of changing out the broiler gas control with the oven one and seeing if that works...but should I bother?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 21:56   #2

Re: Force 10 oven issue

Thermocouple shot?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 02:49   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Thermocouple shot?

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 04:35   #4
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I just rebuilt a 20 year old Force 10. Sounds like you need a new thermocouple.
Old 18-11-2014, 04:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
All three burners work fine, the broiler function in the oven works fine, but the oven burner will not stay lit. It comes on, lights up fine, I hold the burner knob in for a bit, and slowly release it, and the flame goes out.
Anyone have any ideas?
After lighting the burner, leave the knob depressed and turn down the flame as low as possible, leave for 10-15 seconds, twirl it to maximum and then release.

Works like a charm for me .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 04:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Huh, how much do the thermocouples cost? I am just curious since one went out on a top burner and I just bypassed it. Should maybe get a new one.
Old 18-11-2014, 05:11   #7

Thanks very much for the replies, general opinion seems to be thermocouple.

I'll have to google that and see what it looks like and where it is...lol....I have no clue. Google is my friend....

Thanks again for the replies!

gunk
Old 18-11-2014, 05:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Make certain that the thermocouple is actually immersed in the pilot flame.

Once the burner is lit, continue to hold the control knob in for (20) seconds to allow the thermocouple to heat up and energize the solenoid inside the valve. The ignition will continue to spark when you hold in the control knob.
If the knob skirt bottoms out on the stove top dial, it won’t allow the knob stem-shaft to plunge to full depth.
I believe there is an adjustment for valve stem height.

Replacement $28.50 ➥ Force 10 Oven Thermocouple - LPG Stove Parts - Stoves & Ranges - Galley, Stoves & Barbeques - Downwind Marine

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 05:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Once the burner is lit, continue to hold the control knob in for (20) seconds to allow the thermocouple to heat up and energize the solenoid inside the valve. The ignition will continue to spark when you hold in the control knob.
If the knob skirt bottoms out on the stove top dial, it won’t allow the knob stem-shaft to plunge to full depth.

Replacement $28.50 ➥ Force 10 Oven Thermocouple - LPG Stove Parts - Stoves & Ranges - Galley, Stoves & Barbeques - Downwind Marine
You're the best Gord! Saved me some legwork here, THANK YOU!

Trusting all is well up there in the Great White North...heck, even Windsor has had snow already...looks like another long, cold winter back home.

gunk
Old 18-11-2014, 06:05   #10

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Gord is spot on with this. Also, last week I just worked on ours. The problem was every time we opened the oven door the oven flame would go out. I have been told this is a common problem with the design. Common or not, it drove the wife crazy which, naturally, started to drive me crazy too. I seemed to have fixed it by removing the flame bar and jet and cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. It was very easy to do: two or three screws for the bar and a tightening nut on the jet.

I had tried cleaning before by wiping the flame bar clean without removal. That had no impact.

Happy baking.

Dhillen
Old 18-11-2014, 06:11   #11

Boat: Ontario32

Force 10 has been acquired by France,s ENO . Still based in Vancouver. All input from contributors has been informative for me. Have a 3 burner model with oven, now 10 years on and still working fine. Good luck.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 06:12   #12

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Suggest you talk to Force 10 or download some of their trouble-shooting guides. I seem to remember there is a potential ground issue with the thermocouple that can cause the symptoms you are experience. Sometimes it just requires taking the burner apart and cleaning/de-greasing it. If you are going for a replacement, talk to Force 10 to make sure you get the right part for your stove - things change.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 06:27   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
Gord is spot on with this. Also, last week I just worked on ours. The problem was every time we opened the oven door the oven flame would go out. I have been told this is a common problem with the design. Common or not, it drove the wife crazy which, naturally, started to drive me crazy too. I seemed to have fixed it by removing the flame bar and jet and cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. It was very easy to do: two or three screws for the bar and a tightening nut on the jet.

I had tried cleaning before by wiping the flame bar clean without removal. That had no impact.

Happy baking.

Dhillen
What drives me crazy is the oven door closing bar. I guess the intention is for it to have a detent position that holds the oven door open slightly. Supposedly this is useful for some kinds of cooking. But what happens in our case is that if we just brush up against that bar when walking by, the door flops open. Big pain. I can't much imagine using that oven, anyhow, here in the tropics. The last thing I need is an open source of that level of heat in the cabin. I've been thinking of coming up with my own "aftermarket" latch that is a much more secure thing.
Old 18-11-2014, 07:17   #14

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Off the subject, but I just replaced my Force 10 with a new 3-burner unit.

I was faced with having to replace all 3 stove top burners and got a good price on a new unit so I went with it. Force 10 has fixed several of the problems with the old stove - including the oven door latch. It is now a positive latch. They also moved the large burner from the back of the stove top to the front, which I consider an improvement as I do most of my one-pot cooking on this burner. The burner ignition is now activated by a separate button rather than by just pressing in the burner knob. Now it takes two hands to light a burner - one to depress the burner knob and the other to depress the ignition button. The good thing is that during the 10 - 20 seconds you need hold the knob in until the thermcouple heats up the ignition is not continuing to spark on all three burners.

There were a few issues - all do to the fact that I got a good price on this stove because it was an open box excess inventory from Hunter Marine. Turns out it is a standard Euro stove which is 1-1/2" narrower than the standard NA stove - so it wasn't a drop-in replacement for my old stove, had to add some offsets for the gimball mounts. Also they changed the rail around the stove top. It is taller and thicker. That means I have to drop the gimball mounts about 1/2" so that my stove cover will still fit, and my old pot holders don't fit on the rail. Because it was an open box unit and cost about 3/5 the WM and Defender prices no pot holders were included. I think the NA stove also has the same rail change.

http://www.svsarah.com/Sarah/Images/...4_135325_6.jpg

John

Edited to add: Also the gimball lock is now on the bottom of the stove not near the top.
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 09:57   #15

Boat: Bavaria 44
Send a message via Skype™ to sailing mike

I had the same problem with my three burner stove..... Have a look at this Force 10 tech note, before even thinking about replacing the thermocouple. It could save you the money.

http://www.force10.com/files/documen...ech%20Note.pdf

best regards
Mike on s/v Captain O'Brien
sailing mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven