Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 22:28   #1

Boat: Bristol 47.7 - Iridium
Force 10 Oven Burns Everything

Just getting used to our boat and have burned the bottom of everything I've put in the oven so far. It heats up quickly and I am now able to adjust the heat to keep it at my chosen temperature however, the bottom burns every time.

Something must be wrong. Ideas?

It's a Force 10 with 3 burners, an oven and a broiler so should be good.....

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 22:36   #2

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Make sure it has the aluminum flame spreader plate thing in the oven. Sounds like yours is missing.

-jim lee
Old 09-10-2008, 23:32   #3
Kai Nui

We also have the Force 10 3 burner. Ours does get finicky at times. It rarely burns anything, but sometimes, it just won't get hot. Others, it cooks just fine. We have learned to live with it. Kinda screws up the dinner plans when the rolls take an hour, but nothing that can't be worked around.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:21   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have found that a Baking Stone laid on the bottom of the oven helps defuse the heat for more even cooking temperatures. On our old boat, we added several stones that we loosely secured in place with over-sized holes and #10 machine screws that served the same purpose and also served as a further counter balance to the weight of pots on the stove-top for cooking under-way.

Good luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:37   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We did a delivery on a boat with a Force 10 and the first time we used the oven things burned badly. Turned out the temperature sensor had been inserted incorrectly and was measuring the temperature outside the oven cavity, making the oven a lot hotter than it appeared. Worked much better after I fixed the sensor.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:07   #6

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
We have a fairly new force 10 and have been pretty happy with it but the last three ovens we've had on the previous two boats have alwways needed some help. Agree with s/v HyLyte a baking stone is a great way to go. The last two times we did this my wife bought a stone then took it to a local vendor of tile and had it custom cut to fit. I don't remember it being very expensive to have done and it made her much happier with the oven.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:48   #7

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
This is not the first time this complaint has been heard. I have friends who put ceramic tiles on the bottom of the oven with great success, others use pizza stone of the correct size with great success as well.
Either the temp sensor is experiencing a problem or the bottom plate is not heavy enough, the latter seems to be the cause in most of the ovens.
Let us know what you choose, and how it works for you.
Fair winds
SV Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 10:33   #8

Stone at the ready

Thank you all for your suggestions which we checked out. Our conclusion is that we will go with the baking stone. Unfortunately we can't test it right now as we are currently off the boat for a re-engining. Did buy the stone, have it trimmed to fit so just a matter of trying it out once we're back on board. I hope it solves the problem and am optimistic after all of your comments. I'll report back after the "test" period. Thanks.
Old 26-11-2008, 11:24   #9

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
Don't know a lot of things. What is a baking stone and how does it fit in the oven???
Sounds like it may be a good thing to have.
Drinky
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 11:31   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Just a flat ceramic piece. Spreads the heat.
Old 26-11-2008, 13:00   #11

Baking Stone

Yes, it's a ceramic sort of board (thickness and quality vary) sold by Kitchen shops, Pantry Chef and a cheap model $9.99 at Safeway. They can be round for under pizza and rectangular for cookies, tarts etc. They gently brown the bottom of your item and bake very evenly. For my Force 10 use, I need something primarily to deflect the flame as the existing deflector is not wide enough. I actually called Force 10 and discussed my problem. They said that yes my oven was a poor design and it's off the market...the new models have been improved. So I can either buy a new oven or try to make the one I have work. I will try a stone to deflect the heat first.
Old 27-11-2008, 07:01   #12

Boat: Lagoon 37
being cheap I just bought a piece of ceramic tile at Lowes for $2.00, and seems to have solved the problem.
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 13:47   #13

Boat: Tashiba 40
Another thing, buy an oven thermometer that hangs off the rack at the front of the oven. My stove has a dial that reads from 1-10 and I have no idea what temp any given number is going to be any given day. That being said I'm scrubbing blackened pans from yesterday's Thanksgiving potluck.
Old 28-11-2008, 14:20   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The older Force Tens (eighties and early nineties) have no thermostat for the oven. Instead it has a built in thermometer and you regulate the heat by turning it down when it's too hot. They claimed it was better this way. I must say that the newer ones with thermostats work a lot better. Also the oven burner has been changed from what appears to be just another stove top burner at the bottom of the oven with a heat dissipater plate on top of it to a long tube burner. The old burners always got bits in it, especially if it wasn't used for a while, rust and god knows what. I use a dental pick to clean the jet out. You know when the jet needs cleaning as the oven will not get up to anything like hot.
Old 29-11-2008, 13:27   #15

I think this is a fairly common problem with small boat type ovens due to the limited height of the oven when compared to, say, a shore side one so cannot get sufficient rack height above the heat source.

We don't have a Force 10 and don't have any problem with things like roasting meats and vegetables, casseroles, etc but can do with baking of the likes of cakes, muffins, etc where the bottoms cook faster than the tops so easily blacken.

We also use silicon bake ware (doesn't corrode, easy to store) and find that without some protection the bottoms of those overheat and crack.

What we find gets around this in our case is the oven came with a large shallow rectangular ss dish for roasting, etc with a rack that fits in it. Sitting baking pans on top of that removes the overcooking and silicon failure problem completely. A rack on top of a cookie sheet works too in our own experience.

As another has suggested we also use an oven thermometer hung on the rack - it reads considerably different to the oven's own temperature settings on the burner control knob.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven