Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2010, 08:30   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Carolyn.

Great blog: http : //theboatgalley . com/
The Boat Galley: In-Depth Articles for the Cruising Cook

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:53   #32

Re: Force 10 Oven Burns Everything

hello there, my boat has a force 10 with oven and broiler. i haven't used the oven at all these last three years and would like to use it on my imminent next trip. however, the paint on the front panel has come off and i don't know of the two knobs on the right-hand side which one controls the top and which one the bottom flame. i know i can try lighting both and find out, but i am operating in a small area with little or no ventilation, and the auto starter doesn't work anymore and i need to use a common lighter. so i think i better ask here... thanks for your help. yzlian
yzlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

You can Google Force 10 marine stoves and download a manual for your unit. Then you can find out what the various knobs do. But basically the top burners are controlled by the left-most knobs. The right-most knob is usually the oven thermostat control. Somewhere in the middle is a push button to allow you to light the oven.
- - The auto-ignition is supplied by a AA battery in a little holder underneath the stove/oven. It is normally the first system to stop functioning as the unit gets old.
- - The top burner knobs usually have to be depressed and rotated a quarter turn counter-clockwise - there should be some labeling behind the knob - and held depressed until the burner is lit and has warmed up its thermocouple. Then you can release the knob and continue rotating it to get the size flame you desire.
- - The oven thermostat knob is more complicated with rotation in one direction for normal oven use and the opposite rotation for only "broiler" operation. Again it needs to be depressed to get it out of the "off" detent - but there is normally a separate push button to override the thermocouple and allow the burners to be ignited.
- - Just be careful about applying too much force to the knobs until you get the "feel" of how each works.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:06   #34

thanks osirissail, i got the burner knobs working right now. the remaining problem is the which is which regarding the oven and broiler. on the front panel of my model (probably 18 years old), the right-most is the thermometer, then two knobs; then on the left are the three knobs for the burners on top. can't figure out which is which for the two oven-broiler knobs next to the thermometer. i checked the owners manual but the diagrams don't show exactly which is which...
yzlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 21:45   #35

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

I cut a marble tile to fit the bottom of our Origo oven. It slows down the heating up a bit but not only does it even out the heat, it also provides some thermal inertia so opening the door doesn't let all the heat spill out as some of it is trapped in the tile.

-Sven
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzlian View Post
thanks osirissail, i got the burner knobs working right now. the remaining problem is the which is which regarding the oven and broiler. on the front panel of my model (probably 18 years old), the right-most is the thermometer, then two knobs; then on the left are the three knobs for the burners on top. can't figure out which is which for the two oven-broiler knobs next to the thermometer. i checked the owners manual but the diagrams don't show exactly which is which...
You should be able to find a diagram or photo of what the front panel looks like from the manual or an on-line manual or parts list. The Parts List is a great assistance as each item has a descriptive name of what it does.
- - But in general the thermostat on the more modern versions - 12 years or younger, have a combination Thermostat/Oven selector/Broiler selector control - all in one. Pushing in and rotating in one direction activates the oven burners - both lower and maybe also the upper - and selects the oven temperature desired. Pushing in and rotating the control in the other direction activates only the top burner for the broiler and there is no thermostat selection possible.
- - There is normally a separate push button or something that is attached to the "safety" thermocouples that cut off the gas if no flame is sensed at a burner. This must be pressed to allow gas to flow to the thermostat control and subsequently to the burners for lighting them.
- - It just may be that the "other knob" is a broiler only. But still there should be some method of depressing something to allow gas to flow to allow lighting of the burner. So use a grill lighting stick/gun and with the gas supply active to the stove/oven try one knob at a time and see if you can light the upper or lower burner. Don't hold the bypass control too long as you will be allowing propane to fill the oven compartment and could get a flash-bang that can singe your eyebrows and give you a crispy face sunburn. Be careful.
- - If nothing happens then the thermocouples are probably bad or the control is clogged and/or bad from age. Parts are available from Force 10 but with "updates" they normally send you whole new burner/control/thermostat units. You change out the old system and install the new system which is not a simple task - but do-able - and not cheap.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven