Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2008, 17:59   #16

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
Use two pans to cook. Place the pan with food in it on another pan to disfuse the heat. Thats an old bakers seceret to double pan pastries. The stone thing is about the same idea.

Dan

S/V Mother Ocean
S/V Mother Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 18:43   #17

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Just to be clear here - I'm a bit slow. You put the stone/tile on the shelf just above the burner to deflect the heat.

Temperature control is annoying for us too. The [3 burner force ten] door is somewhat dark making the thermometer inside difficult to read, and the dial has no indication of what temperature each position maps to. Experiments will need to be done!
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 19:03   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
baking stone problems?

We have a 4-burner Force 10 oven in the new boat and are delighted with it. Indeed, there are two potatoes and a ham baking at the present moment, and I can't detect any problems so far with burning.

Our prior boat had a Cheapo 3.4 oven, and we tried the baking stone trick. First time we went to weather offshore the thing split in half. Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions? (other than, of course, never going to weather.)
Old 22-12-2008, 17:42   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashful View Post
We have a 4-burner Force 10 oven in the new boat and are delighted with it. Indeed, there are two potatoes and a ham baking at the present moment, and I can't detect any problems so far with burning.

Our prior boat had a Cheapo 3.4 oven, and we tried the baking stone trick. First time we went to weather offshore the thing split in half. Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions? (other than, of course, never going to weather.)
Stone is a fad.

Use a piece of an old cast iron skillet or some such thick metal. These are hard to break.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 04:09   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Stone is a fad.
Use a piece of an old cast iron skillet or some such thick metal. These are hard to break.
2-Burner (Approx. 20" x 10.5" ) Double-Sided Cast Iron Griddle:
About $25/Cdn (@ CTC)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lodge-reversible-grill-griddle.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	6416  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 07:43   #21

Boat: Bristol 47.7 - Iridium
Smile Success!

Forgot to report back until now. The Safeway baking stone diffused the flame and it worked very well until it broke. It didn't fill the entire shelf, had a bit of room to move, likely broke while we were sailing. Have replaced it with a Pantry Chef stone which I wasn't using and fits perfectly and is thicker and more substantial. It works perfectly and won't break like the other stone as it fills the entire rack.
Iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 08:22   #22

It still works if it's in 2 pieces !!
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 05:34   #23

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
in my home oven i use a large terracotta tile (this was for bread baking rather than the problem discussed here). it cost peanuts, it's lasted for years and would do the same job in a force 10
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 08:31   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Assuming you have a recent model Force 10 - the burning of the bottom of things is normal in the oven. If you look closely inside and in between the various walls of the unit you will no insulation except on the top of the oven to keep the wires and pipes for the stove top burners from getting cooked. So the result is a major heat loss through the walls of the stove. Just like a giant toaster oven. In essence what you have in the oven is a upside down broiler so that the bottom of food gets cooked first and by the time the top of the food gets cooked the bottom is burnt. This is especially prevalent if you have the food "on" a metal cookie sheet/pie pan/etc.
- - The use of a stone/tile/cast metal heat diffusion device between the burner and the food greatly reduces the "broiler" effect and allows the food to cook more evenly. But the food needs to be in close proximity to the heat diffuser or the steep temperature gradient inside the oven - hot in the middle to warm at the walls - reasserts itself. An ideal way to equalize the temperatures throughout the interior of the oven would be to line all the walls with tiles/heat diffusers. But that would be a major alteration of the oven.
- - Cruisers have learned how to compensate and/or live with this problem over the years as exemplified by the posts above. It is frustrating at first, but after more than a few rum and cokes nobody notices the burnt bottoms of your buns.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 08:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
2-Burner (Approx. 20" x 10.5" ) Double-Sided Cast Iron Griddle:
About $25/Cdn (@ CTC)
These items are "worth their weight in gold" for Force 10 and other 3 burner stoves. They pretty much eliminate the need to broil food in the oven as they are used on the top of the stove. The size is perfect and just fits inside the surrounding stainless top grid. Grilled fish/meat/whatever is easily cooked using the top burners under these iron griddles. Flip it over and you have a flat surface for pancakes, eggs and other stuff like Cajun Blackened fish. Since getting one of these type cast iron griddles we have never used the outside BBQ which is a pain to set up and clean.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:15   #26

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
steel plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Stone is a fad.

thats what I use in mine 3/8 steel plate works fine
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:26   #27

But Stone does not rust! And telling folks your bread was cooked in a "stone lined oven" does sound better that a "rusty steel plate" oven.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:48   #28

New here. Same Force 10 problem. Does the stone go on the very bottom of the oven?
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 18:07   #29

Yes - either on the lowest rack or right on top of the ss flame pan.
Old 20-11-2010, 14:50   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I posted a bunch of information on how we solved problems with our Force 10 on my blog -- basically a combination of a better thermometer, a baking stone, AND heavier pans -- all were needed. I also included a bit of explanation of what we concluded the various problems were. I won't repeat it all here -- it's too long.

See Solving Galley Oven Problems

Carolyn Shearlock
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven