Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2011, 18:18   #1

Foraging in the Caribbean

I'm just wondering whether or not it is possible to forage for fruits and vegetables in the caribbean. I'm not looking to completely sustain my diet doing so, nor is this something I would do often, but I do feel a certain romance for finding fresh fruits and veggies picked with my own hands. Would it displease the locals if they saw me picking the local foods?
JordanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 18:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
re: Foraging in the Caribbean

On inhabited islands. especially the smaller ones, many if not most of the fruit trees, including coconuts belong to someone or someone claims the rights to them.

There are exceptions but I would check locally before making any assumptions. For people that are living at a subsistence level some of these food sources can be valuable.

Not to say that it is impossible, just check first.

Also be careful if you aren't familiar with tropical plants, some are quite poisonous.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 18:37   #3

Thanks for the quick reply!
JordanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 18:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

in Jamaica I have seen people fight over whether or not one should eat from a tree along a road side ,even if it feel to the road and was on public property...I have been to the interior of Jamaica and found trees that you could help yourself to whatever you wanted..I dont think anyone would begrudge you a simple soursop just make sure you ask first...In Chucck they have a free society(termend by Margeret mead) wherein every thing is to be shared ..even the woman!First time I encounterd this a young man was coming out of the sea with his catch ,two fish, I was walking toward him and as I approched he offered me one but I didnt take it ,later that nite the fish was on the door post of my bungalow...If you hang two shirts out to dry a person will walk by and take one then wear it in front of you the next day,if you get angry than you are the bad guy... DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 02:40   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The locals on Dominica say that no one goes hungry there. The island is so lush and undeveloped that fruits and vegetables of various sorts grow wild. When we went hiking in the rain forest, our guide would climb trees and toss down oranges or grapefruits. There are mangoes, papayas and avocados. Wild ginger, coffee, various root vegetables, too. On the other islands, you'd have a tough time finding very much of anything. Don't mistake a manchioneel for a small green apple!

There are fewer wild edibles here on Nevis, but the monkeys get them before they fully ripen. We look forward to the weekly boat from Dominica that brings tons of fruit and vegetables to our open air market at less than half the price of the grocery stores.
Old 25-12-2011, 04:59   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

While most islands will have coconuts and an odd public mango tree around, Dominica is about the only island in the Eastern Carib for finding "wild" fruits (not many vegetables anywhere, as these are usually cultivated). However, you will be trudging through some pretty thick rainforest to find them and will probably need to take a bus or car to get there. Alternately, you can buy a cockpit full of freshly picked produce for a couple bucks delivered. And remember, many fruits and vegetables are seasonal and only available in certain months even if you did find them wild. And yes, you will be a thief in most of the islands if you walk onto someone's property and take stuff, no matter how "jungly" the property seems.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 05:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Foraging in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
In Chucck they have a free society(termend by Margeret mead) wherein every thing is to be shared ..even the woman!First time I encounterd this a young man was coming out of the sea with his catch ,two fish, I was walking toward him and as I approched he offered me one but I didnt take it ,later that nite the fish was on the door post of my bungalow...If you hang two shirts out to dry a person will walk by and take one then wear it in front of you the next day,if you get angry than you are the bad guy... DVC
Damn... yet another one for the 'Bucket List' when my Corribee finally gets underway...
Sounds well worth the visit tho...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 06:04   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn... yet another one for the 'Bucket List' when my Corribee finally gets underway...
Sounds well worth the visit tho...
micronesia is great,the women wander around topless in the supermarket,the frozen food section is interesting..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 07:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
micronesia is great,the women wander around topless in the supermarket,the frozen food section is interesting..............
and the young girls in palau and phonipa are very pretty..not to many look good after 30 tho....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 08:50   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

How do you feel about locals foraging your boat? For outboards, diesel, electronic gadgets.

I am not sure the question was serious. But my answer is.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 08:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Foraging in the Caribbean

Barnie.... we used to call it 'Scrumpin..' in my youth... really pissed off the farmers etc... we rated next to vermin and bugs.
If they'd had a pesticide to deal with pesky kids I'm sure they'da used it.... lmao

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 09:31   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Hedgerow foraging not unusual over here (basically anything you can reach from the road / footpath / public land) - as a kid, mostly blackberries and chestnuts I recall........... but I am sure there was other stuff that could be eaten, including nettles for Soup!

Foragers' recipes | Life and style | The Guardian

Appreciate Carribean a different place - and not fair game to rob someone else's livelihood or table.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 09:46   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Ive been foraging every where I go, heres a short clip on sailing & foraging in the Greek Islands-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 10:15   #14

i think one could survive in fl on coconuts and fish
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 10:50   #15

In some places a Rasta man will come by your boat offering those real cheap. Not sure where he gets them!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean