Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 02:19   #1

Foodsaver 220-240V in Europe

Does anyone where I can get a Foodsaver 220/240V in Europe? I've tried all distributors listed on FoodSaver except for Czech, Slovenian, and Spanish and so far no luck. They either don't respond so send information on stores where it should be sold, but isn't...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 03:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Foodsaver 220-240V in Europe

Have you tried shopping online? I checked eBay UK and found several like this.

SUNBEAM FOODSAVER VAC780 VS7800 BRAND NEW IN BOX | eBay

Did not show the voltage specs on the listing but I am assuming it must be 240V 50 Hz if the unit is for sale to the UK. Just have to get the right adapters for the plug.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 04:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Did not show the voltage specs on the listing but I am assuming it must be 240V 50 Hz if the unit is for sale to the UK. Just have to get the right adapters for the plug.
I tried a few online stores, like Linderholms -Välkommen till webbutiken, https://www.monclick.it, Delamaison.fr : Décoration, meuble, canapé, linge de maison, électroménager, literie, arts de la table, cuisine, jardin, where they are in stock, but you must be a resident of the respective country to shop there (online shopping option does not allow you to enter a different country in billing/delivery address). I've tried calling one to see if they would do it over the phone, but so far no luck. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the eBay idea - I never thought of it as I've never shopped via eBay. Truth be said, I'm scared of it and all the scams I keep hearing about, but maybe now it's a good idea to try it.
Old 27-03-2012, 04:23   #4

Boat: Sigma 33 C

Try lakeland. The website link is below. I just googled it and this is what it came up with. Otherwise amazon would be your best bet. Hope it helps.

FoodSaver® in food bags & fasteners at the home of creative kitchenware, Lakeland
Sarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 04:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Sigh... There is only one entry for Foodsaver on eBay that is 220V and can be shipped outside EU. And it's in Australia!

Back to drawing board...
Old 27-03-2012, 04:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have also heard horror stories about online shopping and not just on eBay. So far I have had no problems and have bought a number of goodies from eBay including last week a Seagull IV water purifier for about 1/3 of new and a small compass from eBay UK because I had a free UK coupon.

One thing I do that I think minimizes the risk for eBay shopping is to carefully check each sellers rating. On the listing page for the item you can see the sellers history including how long they have been on eBay, the total number of items they have sold, and the % good approval rating from the customers. Anyone with less than 99% approval I tend to steer clear.

Some eBay sellers do restrict where they will ship but I think this is more a problem in the US than Europe, but each seller can set their own restrictions. If you continue to strike out I am planing a trip to the UK in a few weeks for business and can research options for you while I'm there, depending on how hectic the trip turns out.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How is your German? Here is one that says they will ship to the EU. Is Turkey considered in the EU yet or still probationary? Might try these guys to see.

FOODSAVER Vakuumiergerät - Vakuumierer V2860 chrom | eBay

If you "contact the seller" info@haus-gartenwelt.com so they know you are a real person and not some overseas scammer they might agree.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a less expensive model that also advertises they ship to European Union

FOOD SAVER Vakuumierer V2040-I Neu OVP | eBay
Old 27-03-2012, 05:15   #9

Thanks for the eBay shopping hints and the offer to help in UK. From our experiences I know that on a business/visiting home trip you feel more like White Rabbit ["Oh, my ears and my whiskers!"], so I'll respectfully decline your offer

We might have some friends in France who could re-deliver it to us. Maybe that would be the easiest option.

P.S. Who knew that it's so hard to buy in EU for delivery outside EU? US is much simpler in that regard: "You're giving us your money? Ok, we'll deliver whereever you like."
Old 27-03-2012, 05:16   #10

See, I can have it shipped to either Switzerland or Turkey. None of these two countries are part of EU and, as such, no EU shop will deliver there. Even Switzerland. Crazy.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:19   #11

Or I'll just end up buying from a US store (Sam Stores or G and Hi) to have it delivered here.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:32   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
See, I can have it shipped to either Switzerland or Turkey. None of these two countries are part of EU and, as such, no EU shop will deliver there. Even Switzerland. Crazy.
Even Switzerland? That I did not know. How very strange.

Wonder if it is because of some tax or VAT reason or if the rest of Europe is mad at the Swiss because they have all the money?

Have to ask one of my friends in Europe.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:33   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Or I'll just end up buying from a US store (Sam Stores or G and Hi) to have it delivered here.
But aren't all the US sold models 110V? Or do you have a transformer or inverter on board?
Old 27-03-2012, 06:49   #14

Switzerland is not part of EU. They are part of some other European agreements, but not EU.

These two stores sell the 220V models, but shipping charges will be huge. Plus we'll have to pay local VAT on anything shipped to Turkey (18% for non-Turkish made goods).
Old 27-03-2012, 07:02   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Switzerland is not part of EU. They are part of some other European agreements, but not EU.

These two stores sell the 220V models, but shipping charges will be huge. Plus we'll have to pay local VAT on anything shipped to Turkey (18% for non-Turkish made goods).
Switzerland is in the EFTA not the EU but gee, they are right in the middle of the continent. So why not ship there? Can't be that difficult to carry a small package across the border, even if they aren't in the same club. I have to say that forming the EU has created, in some instances, some weird problems with commerce.

Sounds like you are going to end up with a really expensive FoodSaver. Might be cheaper to take an Easyjet flight to the continent and just buy one.

Seriously do they sell them in Greece? Depending on which end of Turkey you are in maybe you could take a ferry over for a shopping day.

Personally I would try emailing one of the EU companies on eBay and asking if they would please consider shipping to a very nice Canadian stranded in Turkey. Maybe offer a couple of Euros extra for the service. Could a lot cheaper (and faster) in the long run than buying in the US.