Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-03-2012, 01:10   #31

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Foodsaver 220-240V in Europe

I'm shocked you found a Foodsaver brand 220-240v in the USA. I tried back in 2006 and could not find any. And could not find any company outside the USA willing to ship one to Houston, TX or to the BVI (where boat was docked). Never heard of the MagicVac brand, but most Italian kitchen items are good quality so expect this should be a good one.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 04:26   #32

Once we have it, I'll let you know how it works out.

One concern is that the Foodsaver rolls might not fit this new vacuum sealer. We'll have to try and see.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:47   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We bought our Foodsaver 220-240 volt vacuum sealer from Amazon.co.uk with free delivery to us in Greece. It arrived a few days ago and has had lots of use so far!
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 00:24   #34

The Foodsaver saved us again yesterday. I usually buy several extra boxes of breakfast cereal when we find a brand we like. This lasts several months. When I buy cereal I remove the cardboard box and vacuum seal the inner plastic bag using the regular large Foodsaver plastic rolls. Pulled out a bag of corn flakes yesterday and noticed a dozen or more dead weevils inside the Foodsaver bag. The insects don't have an oxygen supply inside the sealed bags and quickly die.

If I had placed that bag of corn flakes directly into the locker, or had placed it inside a large ziplock or in a sealed Tupperware-type plastic container, those weevils would have been running around the locker and probably into many lockers. This is the third or fourth time that the Foodsaver sealing has prevented insects from getting in the boat. Each time the bugs have died inside the Foodsaver sealed bag and easy to dispose of.

Another of those convenience items that should be on every cruising boat, IMHO.

Judy
Old 03-04-2012, 01:07   #35

Do you open the inner bag before sealing it?

And I wholeheartedly support your "vacuum sealer on every boat" sentiment. Any bugs that find a way into the boat don't have much to munch on and the supplies can be stored for much longer than without it. I just used up my last bag of All Purpose flour from the States (bought in 2009) and still have 1.5 bags of bread flour left - as fresh as ever!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59   #36

No, I do not open the inner bag before sealing it. The point is just to contain any insects within the Foodsaver bag and to prevent moisture from causing the cereal to spoil quicker. Leaving the original packaging bag still sealed causes no detriment to the vacuum sealing with the vacuum sealer.

I know what you mean about the flour. I recently opened the last bag of bread flour purchased in Panama in March 2008. Still fine. However, I do not fully vacuum seal all-purpose flour because it clumps if sealed hard-as-a-rock.
Bread flour does not clump.

Judy
Old 29-04-2012, 18:46   #37
Marine Service Provider

If you need anything in Europe and especially in France, do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist yachts along the Mediterranean and French Riviera.

Missing something essential?We'll take care of it

Key To Quay - Yacht Concierges

Key To Quay
Yacht Concierges
keytoquay is offline   Reply With Quote