Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 08:13   #16

Re: Foodsaver 220-240V in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Personally I would try emailing one of the EU companies on eBay and asking if they would please consider shipping to a very nice Canadian stranded in Turkey. Maybe offer a couple of Euros extra for the service. Could a lot cheaper (and faster) in the long run than buying in the US.
Another good point. Thanks!

I've given up on this for a bit. Will start again next week.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 15:04   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha
Thanks for the eBay shopping hints and the offer to help in UK. From our experiences I know that on a business/visiting home trip you feel more like White Rabbit ["Oh, my ears and my whiskers!"], so I'll respectfully decline your offer

We might have some friends in France who could re-deliver it to us. Maybe that would be the easiest option.

P.S. Who knew that it's so hard to buy in EU for delivery outside EU? US is much simpler in that regard: "You're giving us your money? Ok, we'll deliver whereever you like."
You must be kidding the US is the worst place to ship overseas.

Dave
Old 27-03-2012, 15:07   #18
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha

Another good point. Thanks!

I've given up on this for a bit. Will start again next week.
Phone people, if English isn't their native language, very few Europeans will return emails in English. Many foreign people can speak English passably few can write it tolerably.

Dave
Old 27-03-2012, 23:45   #19

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

I just checked on the Amazon UK Food Saver Vacuum Sealer: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

and as far as I can see the Foodsaver seller (WHEESH) will ship to Turkey (or pretty much anywhere else)
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 02:25   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

There's hundreds models of vacuum sealers around in Europe. But you have to remember we don't speak english everywhere so you got to make some translation to get some results. Foodsaver is propably just a brandname I believe becouse neverheard it before.. ?
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Phone people, if English isn't their native language, very few Europeans will return emails in English. Many foreign people can speak English passably few can write it tolerably.

Dave
The reply on the phone is "sorry, but we don't speak English". Maybe I was calling all the wrong places...

And you're right, shipping from US would be the last resort.
Old 28-03-2012, 09:10   #22

TeddyDiver was right, after restarting the search just for vacuum sealers, I found some really nice, more compact, and more powerful models than Foodsaver ones. And they're made in EU and not in PRC. And stores that carry them ship outside EU.
Brilliant.

Thanks to all for your replies!
Old 28-03-2012, 12:14   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Dave
Hi Dave,

Oddly, I have had the opposite experience. Being a dumb American I can barely speak English and can sort of bumble along in a few other languages. In business I deal globally mostly in English. Often find that when I call, the person I reach may not speak English but if I email there'a always someone in the office that can translate and reply.

Of course the company you email needs to be interested enough in what you are offering to buy or sell to take the time to reply.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 12:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
TeddyDiver was right, after restarting the search just for vacuum sealers, I found some really nice, more compact, and more powerful models than Foodsaver ones. And they're made in EU and not in PRC. And stores that carry them ship outside EU.
Brilliant.

Thanks to all for your replies!
Isn't it amazing how difficult it can be when cruising just to make a simple purchase. I always tried to enjoy the challenge and consider it part of the fun. Easier to do for a food sealer than something like a part for the head or engine or something else that you really, really need now and not later.

PS

Let us know how you like the new brand. I'm in the market myself and have heard mixed reviews on some of the US models.
Old 28-03-2012, 18:25   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Dave,

Oddly, I have had the opposite experience. Being a dumb American I can barely speak English and can sort of bumble along in a few other languages. In business I deal globally mostly in English. Often find that when I call, the person I reach may not speak English but if I email there'a always someone in the office that can translate and reply.

Of course the company you email needs to be interested enough in what you are offering to buy or sell to take the time to reply.
Business to Business I would sorta agree, Business to Customer , not my experience, unless the recipient has reasonable written english,, emails often go unanswered, especially marinas. There are exceptions, ( like say in Portugal) but in general thats what I find.

Dave
Old 28-03-2012, 18:57   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Business to Business I would sorta agree, Business to Customer , not my experience, unless the recipient has reasonable written english,, emails often go unanswered, especially marinas. There are exceptions, ( like say in Portugal) but in general thats what I find.

Dave
Yes, now that you put it that way I have had similar experiences as a customer trying to get information from a business, even to companies in countries where English is the language. Always amazes me that especially in the current down economy, so many inquiries about a product from a potential customer are ignored.
Old 28-03-2012, 20:37   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If Im not mistaken foodsaver makes a 12 volt modle for hunting ! at least I saw a sealer at Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas in the saugage section that should answer all your needs maybe?
Old 28-03-2012, 23:56   #28

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Or I'll just end up buying from a US store (Sam Stores or G and Hi) to have it delivered here.
Don't think so. The US stores sell only the 110v version. For 110-120v 60hz. You are in the land of 220-240v 50hz.

BTW, the Foodsaver machines sold in the USA have superior design functionality than the Foodsaver machines sold elsewhere. My cheap USA Foodsaver machine held the large (both wide and narrow) rolls of double plastic sheeting that are sealed down both sides. It had a slide cutter to cut to desired length. The rolls of plastic are much more convenient than the pre-made bags that the non-USA machines use. I could make bags several feet long......which comes in handy when sealing various boat parts to store as spares. Or to store large bags of flour or sugar, etc. Unfortunately, I burned up the 110v machine by forgetting to plug it into the transformer. Plugged it straight into the boat when connected to shore power and it instantly fried.

I bought a 220-240v Foodsaver VAC660 in New Zealand. This was the top-of-the-line model available in NZ and Australia at the time. It works just fine but I do wish it had the roll storage/cutting function like the USA models. FWIW, I paid $129 USD for the first one in 2006. I paid equivalent of $220 USD for the Euro version replacement in NZ in 2009. Paid more and got less.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 00:01   #29

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If Im not mistaken foodsaver makes a 12 volt modle for hunting ! at least I saw a sealer at Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas in the saugage section that should answer all your needs maybe?
Be leery. I've heard that these don't suck out all of the air like the regular electric models. If using for meats to be frozen, then the meats will freezer burn because of the excess air inside the bags.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 00:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Be leery. I've heard that these don't suck out all of the air like the regular electric models. If using for meats to be frozen, then the meats will freezer burn because of the excess air inside the bags.

Judy
I got same information as Judy from several hunters forums. People who use the 12V models say that they don't provide enough power for a good vacuum and don't do very good seals.

And these are the two pages that show US stores selling 220V models:
FoodSaver V2040 Bag Sealer For 220 Volts Brand New, Best Price Buy Now - GandhiAppliances.com [V2040] - $144.99 : Gandhi Appliances, 110-220 Volts Refrigerators Washers Dryers Voltage Transformer, Multi-System LCD PLASMA, Region Code Free DVD Players
https://www.samstores.com/details.asp?ProdID=14779

The brand I'm thinking of going with is MagicVac (Italian). The thing that I liked was that their models look more compact (with roll storage) and they provide pump specs - always a bonus for an engineering mind

Had Foodsaver 2860 on our old boat (110V) and didn't like that it took a while to vacuum bigger bags and that the footprint was quite large with some waisted space inside. Hopefully MagicVac will be better in those regards.