Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Food Storage Containers

I am looking to purchase some food storage containers for Flour, Rice, Sugar, etc. I am wondering which ones are truly air tight and keep bugs out. I like the looks of the Good Grips POP containers. What works?

Janice
www.sailacious.com
Old 03-04-2009, 09:40   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I'm also curious but years ago my Mom told me the bugs were already in there and sealing it up tight didn't do much for the one's that were already there. Is that true? or was she just buying "dirty flour"? Same goes for oatmeal, cornmeal, etc.
eewww.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:29   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
On board Exit Only, we used tupperware style containers, but we usually put large Zip Loc bags inside the tupperware to keep everything fresh and exclude the humidity. It worked really well.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:59   #4

I have also purchased a ''seal a meal" vacuum sealer and think that will work great for the stuff I am storing under the dinett seats in the 'food locker'. I need some type of canisters for the stuff you are into day in and day out. I will cook most food and bread from scratch.

I do think it is possible to get dirty flour but I do not believe it is the norm. I also think vacuum sealing will suck all air out and prevent any eggs from developing, am I right?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:19   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I have also purchased a ''seal a meal" vacuum sealer and think that will work great for the stuff I am storing under the dinett seats in the 'food locker'. I need some type of canisters for the stuff you are into day in and day out. I will cook most food and bread from scratch.

I do think it is possible to get dirty flour but I do not believe it is the norm. I also think vacuum sealing will suck all air out and prevent any eggs from developing, am I right?
We have had tiny bugs in our flour only a few times. We usually dispose of the flour unless we are remote, and there is no other flour available. If push comes to shove, we sift the flour removing the bugs and then make our bread.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:32   #6

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
They best I have heard of so far

From another sailor (and I'm testing this theory currently at home)

Place a small piece of dry ice in the container and place the lid on but not sealed and let the dry ice submlimate. The CO2 will displace the Air and kill anything living in it. After the CO2 is gone, seal the container.
I have two glass containers in the pantry now (been going on 3 months) and I've been looking and nothing to be seen.

2divers
Old 03-04-2009, 11:48   #7

Boat: Farrier f27
I think 2divers idea works also.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:02   #8

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I store much of my the food not for immediate consumption in freezer ziplocks, often doubled that are then stored in larger dry bags which are water proof. Unlike square rigid containers, there is little risk of lids popping off and the bags conform to almost any locker space. So far, if anything has started to grow it has stayed contained to the contents of the individual ziplock.

I'm very intrigued by 2divers recommendation. Thanks for sharing that trick.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The CO2 displacement idea is as old as the hills. Flower and other processed grains often contains bug eggs. It's not dirty, it's just nature. Displacing the oxygen with CO2 from dry ice works as the larva don't survive to grow into 'big' bugs when they hatch. The Seal A Meal vacuum sealers may do the same thing by removing most of the oxygen. What I like about the Seal A Meal bags is they are super tough. Very unlikely that will be breached which is not the case with Zip Locks which are thinner plastic and often come unzipped. The bags can be recycled and make great storage for tools and intruments that rust after the food has been used. Not reccomended that you reuse them for food, however.

Aloha
Peter O.

Look at it this way, bugs contain 6 times the protein, pound for pound, as beef. You are really eating enriched flour if bugs are present. Sifting out the bugs takes care of the problems if you are squeamish about eating the little critters.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 14:14   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
On Rhosyn Mor I use the airtight SNAP containers- available from the container store- and ziploc bags and have a vacuum sealer on board, which is mostly used for engine parts. I really like the snap containers they come in all sizes from a n ounce or two up to ones thaqt will hold 25 lbs of rice.
hope this helps
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 14:28   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I am looking to purchase some food storage containers for Flour, Rice, Sugar, etc. I am wondering which ones are truly air tight and keep bugs out. I like the looks of the Good Grips POP containers. What works?

Janice
www.sailacious.com
Lock & Lock containers are the go

We bought a huge bag of bay leaves from a wholesaler and add a few to each box or ziplock bag

By the way, weavels eat through normal plastic bags ... lil devils!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 14:30   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
For the best fit I think the Nalgene lab ware containers are tops bar none.

You can get them in round or square from tiny less than one ounce to huge multi gallon sized. They are not as decorative as Tupperware but the tops are superior and the thickness about double. They make different grades. The autoclave safe kind is about one up from the bottom level. These are containers you can put anything in and boil them out, freeze them and never destroy them. You can drop them 10 feet and they won't break. If you Google US Plastics they sell in small quantities so you by a couple of the various sizes and shapes to fit your lockers. They should price well compared to Tupperware and what you are actually getting. Get some cruiser friends and but some quantity and save more. They ship any place. They have other useful things in about every type of plastic used in modern industry. Tubing and valves is another thing. You could do some interesting plumbing with some of what they have.

I used Nalgene mountaineering and I still have some 1 liter bottles more than 20 years old. The wide mouth versions are perfect for dry goods like flour and sugar. 100% air tight. For liquids the one or 2 liter size never leak. They are also suitable for nasty solvents and other assorted industrial materials you may stock on board. If you have ever broken a store bottle of anything then you know how bad it can get.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 16:38   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
For the best fit I think the Nalgene lab ware containers are tops bar none.

If you Google US Plastics they sell in small quantities so you by a couple of the various sizes and shapes to fit your lockers.
OOOOOOOHHH.

Thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 16:44   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
These are by far the very best I have used on boats and everywhere from Freezer to the Tropics

Lock & Lock Food Storage Containers
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 16:58   #15

I just ran across lock and lock. between them and the vacuum bags I should be good.

Bythe way, Can one find dry ice in the islands?