Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2010, 08:33   #1

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Florida Retail Food Prices

If provisioning to cruise Bahamas then on to Caribbean one needs to stock up big time in Florida. Can anyone give 2010 food prices ie canned, fresh veg etc as I'm having difficulty trying to find prices on the internet. If you have a link giving such help or have done a similar budgeting exercise would be much appreciated.
Clyde
Old 18-05-2010, 08:37   #2

Walmart.com
jmo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 08:47   #3

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity
On our way to the Bahamas last year we stopped to top off fuel and restock the fresh veggies in West Palm. We walked to a local grocery paid what it cost and were back on our way in 30 minutes. Living in FL, the above suggestion for walmart is a good one if cost is your priority. Unfortunately, it will be tough to find one you can walk to on the east coast. If cost is your focus and you need enough food to make a cab ride worth it you can save money.
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 08:53   #4

Food Prices

Sorry if misunderstood I'm trying to work out a budget thus need current canned foods, vegs PRICES if possible
Clyde
Old 18-05-2010, 09:03   #5

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
On our way to the Bahamas last year we stopped to top off fuel and restock the fresh veggies in West Palm. We walked to a local grocery paid what it cost and were back on our way in 30 minutes. Living in FL, the above suggestion for walmart is a good one if cost is your priority. Unfortunately, it will be tough to find one you can walk to on the east coast. If cost is your focus and you need enough food to make a cab ride worth it you can save money.
You were likely walking along Blue Heron Blvd in Riviera Beach to the store on US1, not a very good idea sometimes, mainly at night.

As for prices, Florida is pretty much the same as the rest of the South. I would say that Publix is more expensive than Winn-Dixie though.

EDIT: I am sorry, I just noticed your from SA and wouldnt know.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 09:33   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well hard to give exact information since the price will vary a lot depending on what you buy, canned Spam or canned prime ham.

Canned vegetables in general USD$0.50 to $1.50 per can. Canned meats maybe $2.00 (Spam) to $10.00 (gourmet ham) per can. Fresh meats similar to canned. Oranges $5/bag. Onions $5/bag.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 09:55   #7

Some Highlights from Publix weekly flyer:
canned tuna: 4-pack of cans 3.69
ground sirloin: 3.69/lb
hot dogs: 2 packages for $5
bacon: 2 packages for $6
Vidalia onions: 3.99/5-lb bag
Bananas: $0.59/lb
fresh blueberries: 3.99/pt
Chef Boyardee: on sale 10/$10
canned chicken: 3.49/10-oz can
canned tomatoes: 1.57/can
granola bars: 3.09/box
pasta: $0.79/box
pasta sauce: 1.29/jar
peanut butter: 2.69/jar

That should give you some idea. These are sales, so most are for particular brand-name items - store brand or others might actually be cheaper.

Welcome to Publix Super Markets, Inc. you can look up the flyer for the area you'll be stocking up in
Sweetbay's Web Site has the same feature for their stores.

Hope that is some help!
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 13:58   #8

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Have you considered Aldi ? They are a German discounter and mostly do not sell "brands " ,but the quality of their own stuff is very good . I don't hail from your shores but friends in the US have told me that they give the big chains a run for their money . Oh and if you like German foods they do a good selection . Their produce selection is small but fresh,same withtheir fresh meats .

One thing though is that they usually have their stores in the more neglected , err I mean selected areas of the world . If you don't know the area I would advise daytime shopping .

Price examples : Brookdale Sloppy Joe 85 cents
Brookdale chili and beans 99 cents
80/20 ground beef 1.99
Baker´s corner pancake shake ups 99 cents

These seem to be the best locations but have a look on their site if another store is more convenient .
820 Palm Bay Rd. NE, Palm Bay

812 Nova Rd, Daytona Beach

ALDI - special buys from may 19, 2010

ALDI - new low prices
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 15:19   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Looking at the spread sheet from my last Bahamas food in which most food was purchased in the U.S. here's some approximates:

small can of tomato paste, 12 oz can of corn, a can of tuna and some other basic canned vegies were all about $0.80 per can.

Some cans of beans, mixed veggies, etc were more like $1.20/can

A box of whole wheat Mac and Cheese was $1.50.

Box of whole wheat pasta big enough to make about 6 dinner servings with was just over $1.00.

A bag of about 8 medium sized onions was about $2.75

Organic Peanut butter: about $3 for a 10-12 by volume jar. Regular PB, jsut over half that.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 17:46   #10

Boat: 58
We are currently provisioning for Bahamas May 30th through July 11th. Almost everything of bulk is being purchased at Sams Club. The special and small stuff at Publix.
missnmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 21:43   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
Some Highlights from Publix weekly flyer:
canned tuna: 4-pack of cans 3.69
ground sirloin: 3.69/lb
hot dogs: 2 packages for $5
bacon: 2 packages for $6
Vidalia onions: 3.99/5-lb bag
Bananas: $0.59/lb
fresh blueberries: 3.99/pt
Chef Boyardee: on sale 10/$10
canned chicken: 3.49/10-oz can
canned tomatoes: 1.57/can
granola bars: 3.09/box
pasta: $0.79/box
pasta sauce: 1.29/jar
peanut butter: 2.69/jar

!
You won't get prices that low for that quality level in the rest of the world. So stock up!

Canned food keeps far longer than what you'd think. We have only had one can (peaches) thats leaked. None else even have rust.

Especially canned meat. Fill every hole on the boat with good quality canned meat (without fillers like potatoes, rice and pasta)

Those prices listed above really are remarkably low, even compared to Asia. The cheapest we paid for canned Thailand tuna, in thailand, was $1 per can.

If we had a year to plan our escape we would hit the supermarket each week and grab any specials and just stockpile.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 00:43   #12

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Where you shop can make a huge difference. A few days ago I went to 2 grocery stores. The first, Food 4 Less, a local California discount grocery chain doesn't have pretty displays or cute college girls at the registers but they had avocados for $.49 each. The same day, a 1/4 mile away at Ralphs, a premium grocery chain with a Starbucks inside and fancy lighting had avocados for $1.99 each. Many of the non sale items are similarly priced. When I travel I always ask somebody local, like a janitor or a bus driver where the inexpensive grocery store is. The floors may be gritty but I leave feeling cleaner knowing I didn't just get screwed.
Costco has great quality canned meats for not a lot of money. It's a $50.00 membership but if you're buying a lot of food it may benefit you. I got canned roast beef, 4 for $10.00, canned chicken, 6 for $10.00. I can't remember how much tuna is now, it's been months since I bought the last package. Another one of my Costco favorites is 6 heads of romaine lettuce already cleaned for $2.35. Apples, 18 for $6.00 a 20lb bag of onions for $5.00.
Oatmeal, a huuuuge box for $5.00
Perishable milk products like cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, I find that I get 2-4 times as much for the same money. The big problem with Costco is that you often can't get a small enough package. A gallon of mayonnaise would probably fill most boat's refrigerators by it's self. I bough a gallon of mustard there once for $2.00 to split with my neighbors, I'll bet she still has some after 10 years.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:39   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The most economical spot in East Florida for getting canned goods, especially vegetables, is Titusville, at the Save-a-lot grocery store which is within walking distance from the dinghy dock. Most of the canned goods are about $.50 a can.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:52   #14

Thanks

Thanks for input. Does give one a grocery budget starter.
Clyde
Old 01-06-2010, 08:19   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Stock up in Florida. Costco used to issue a "temporary" membership card that is worth inquiring about. Taking a taxi, or renting a car for the day, can more than pay for itself in savings. Wal-mart and Super Target are also good places to look for bargains. When you get to the anchorage, head ashore and find a newspaper so you can get an idea of what's on sale (which never seems to be what I'm looking for).

There are a number of firms that produce a high quality line of canned meats and veggies. An internet search or site search can give you a list. They may be cheaper than buying here.

In the Bahamas, you're limited to Nassau and maybe George Town for cheapish, sorta fresh provisioning, so grab what you need before heading there. Prices are significantly higher, quality lower, and the produce "less than freshest" there. Consider the Bahamas a topping off or replacement than a provisioning stop.

Depending on how you get to the Caribbean, there won't be many "economical" places to shop until you get to Puerto Rico or the USVI. Puerto Rico will be the closest to stateside prices I think. The next place I provision is St. Martin, then possibly St. Lucia, maybe Martinique, then Grenada. Of the 4, St. Martin seems the cheapest and freshest, but you'll be amazed at the cost of items. It seems to me the longer the shipping distance and lower the population density, the higher the price. Some locations, like St. Martin, are repackaging points for islands further South.

Publix:
Publix - Weekly Ad

Costco:
Costco - Food - New Items & Limited Time Offers

Wal-Mart:
Grocery Shop Online & Browse Groceries Before You Shop In Store - Walmart.com

Target:
Target Weekly Ad: Best deals at Target stores now. - Weekly Ad Flash Experience

Tags
florida