Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2008, 08:53   #1

Flame Diffuser for Propane Stove

I find that I cannot turn the flame low on my Princess propane stove - it's either semi-high or off. I need recommendations for a heat (flame) diffuser that works well. I've checked out Amazon.com and saw a couple but reading the reviews - the ones with a wooden handle burned and I couldn't really see how well the cast iron one would be, especially on a boat. Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Thanks
Takinbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:11   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We just use the cheap dollar store ones. They're two sided and hollow. Yes, occasionally the wood handle burns a bit but it's no big deal.
Old 20-11-2008, 10:47   #3

Boat: islandpacket
Do you have an oven and does it work? you may have a bad pressure valve.
Old 20-11-2008, 11:07   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Some older stoves such as my 20 year old Force Ten are very difficult to regulate. You cannot turn the flame down low enough for a slow simmer. So I use a diffuser over the flame, works well.
Old 20-11-2008, 14:35   #5

Thanks, I'll check out the inexpensive diffusers with the wooden handle. I do have an oven that works perfectly. I think this problem might be inherent in older propane stoves.
Takinbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 14:44   #6

Boat: islandpacket
I was wondering as I just have the high or off flame and my oven does not work. It was suggested by the stove manufacture to have main controll rebuilt. I have not done so yet. They said it was a common problem.
Old 21-11-2008, 21:19   #7

We can turn ours down to low enough to simmer but that introduces the very common problem of the flame being very readily blown out by drafts through the boat. So while we get by without a diffuser one would probably still be the best way for us to go but while I have never had a serious search I have never noticed them in the stores here so haven't bothered.

Whoops rambling , the main point being, even if ones cooker can be turned down enough to simmer, it may not be much help so I wonder if its not being able to is done on purpose and for safety (even if one does have thermocouple flameout protection).
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 13:54   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393 Destination
A piece of foil can be scrunched up lengthwise and then formed into a big donut to put under your pan. I think it works because it puts the bottom of the pan further from the flame. A biggish donut worked best - pan was secure and the flame heat could spread out over the bottom of the pan/skillet. This worked for me until I got back home and could get a diffuser.
maganlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 11:11   #9

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
flame tamer

you can purchase one at Ace Hardware. Check online.