Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How do you get your seafood for dinner?
Trolling while underway ? 17 60.71%
Fishing while stationary ? 12 42.86%
Diving while on the hook ? 14 50.00%
Utilizing a net in some fashion ? 0 0%
Buying direct from local fisherman ? 9 32.14%
Buying locally from a market ? 9 32.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2007, 08:42   #16

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
cat man do vbmenu_register("postmenu_96586", true); !
I love the lures made out of common household trash!
The toothpaste tube and garbage bag, very cool indeed!
Most of our trolling is in the BVI's on our sailing vacations.
Unfrtunatly we are usually to late to hook up and Dorado, we have to wait for my girl to get out of school before heading down!!
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2007, 17:39   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Just had this pic sent by my mate in Vanuatu (nice fish, shame about the dick togs)

He is indicating another trip may be on the cards bringing a 65 ft ex scallop boat (pic) over from Melbourne Australia to Vanuatu.

This time we'll hit the seamounts going Via the bottom of New Caledonia and come up through the bottom of Vanuatu so I get to see Tanna and the Volcano at Yasur.

I wonder if I'll see Osama Bin Laden while i'm there????

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tony's catch.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1843  
Attached Images

Old 15-12-2007, 21:02   #18

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
Fishing and Sailing

Fishing and seafood is what it's all about - how can you be on the sea - and not be catching what you can for pleasure and dinner - at every opportunity.

I ALWAYS trolled - whenever the yacht was underway. Letting the lines out the back with the lures was about the next thing after letting go the dock lines - well almost.

The yacht sails - or even motors - at the almost ideal speed for trolling for gamefish - and there's nothing like the sound of a screaming reel to wake you out of a cockpit doze.

I was so keen to always troll when sailing - that I had 2 large outrigger game poles - made up - and mounted on the aft cabin edges - so that it was possible to swing them out sideways and run a wide spread of lures - while sailing along - and I've got 2 fibreglass sailboard masts - laying on the side deck right now - for the very purpose - of making up outriggers.

There was a hardly a trip anywhere - that good fish weren't caught - and freshly cooked and eaten - or the freezer kept well stocked.

From the back of the yacht travelling along - I've caught Salmon and Tuna off the Central Coast of N.S.W. - Wahoo & Barracuda through the Barrier Reef - Mahi Mahi off Guam - Marlin off Vietnam. The list is endless. And I would think it's common practice for sailors anywhere to be trolling for fish - when they're underway.

Here are some photos of an extraordinary catch I made - off the yacht - years back - heading home up the coast from Narooma and about halfway between Port Kembla & Wollongong. While running two rods with big squid skirts out the back - I hooked and landed a Blue Marlin - about 10' from tip to tail - it took about 2 hours to get it on board - and as you can see - even though I got a gaff into it - I ended up having to lassoo it and haul it aboard with the genoa winch.

Having got it back to Wollongong Harbour - it went straight into the Fish Co-op Cold Store - and the following day up to a Taxidemist at Narrabeen - who said it was the freshest fish she'd ever got - and she ate steaks off it for a month.

If you ask me - you're mad - if your not fishing off the yacht - whether moving or at anchor. Buy a set of those annoying clip-on rod bells - put out the line - have a rest - and wait for the tinkling bells to call you to come and collect your dinner.

I have spearfished at every anchorage - where a good fish meal was needed - using both Hawaaiin slings - and both air and rubbered spearguns - and have used before regularly - and have on board now - a Cast Net - (which you can't use in N.S.W.) that I often would throw from the back of the yacht at night to catch fish and squid under the lights in Hong Kong and wherever.

Plus prawning hand nets - lobster and crab traps. While tied up at Sanctuary Cove Marina in Queensland - I put down a crab trap from the side of the yacht - with a chunk of oily tuna caught trolling on the way up the coast - the next morning there were 8 big mud crabs in the trap.

To be honest - I don't actually remember buying a fish anywhere. I did buy 6 lobsters for $2 from a boy in a dugout in the Solomons once - then dived and found 20 crowded in under one parking station rock below me.

How could you be anywhere in the Great Barrier Reef and not be catching Coral Trout and Sweetlip from the yacht? Most of the time - the bait doesn't even get halfway down and your hooked up with a beauty.

Rodney
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DukeNarooma2_Leaving2_550w_opt5.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DukeNar_004_500H_opt6.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2238  

Name:	Riverlands3_Marlin_onWall_550w_opt5.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2239  
yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Why Does Everybody Catch Fish Except Me? ~ By Tom Neale

“... I know when to bottom fish, when to drift and when to troll.
You bottom fish when your motor just quit and you forgot to pay your TowBoatUS membership.
You drift when your motor just quit and you forgot to tie the anchor when you threw it over.
You troll when somebody else is paying for the fuel ...”

He writes humour, but has some good tips too. Complete article goto: BoatUS.com - Tom Neale's Cruising For You

More Tom Neale articles:
BoatUS.com - Tom Neale's Cruising For You

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Beau,
In addition to catching juvenile fish, gill nets do not discriminate between endangered fish and non-endangered fish. Also, can you honestly say you are going to eat everything a gill net catches? Fish get pretty stressed once caught and do not necessarily live after being released from a gill net, if they survive at all after being caught. These reasons are why gill nets are being banned by many countries.

It's just good karma and respect for the ocean to take only what you are going to eat. I'm really not ragging on you personally, just expressing my opinion about gill nets.

Cat man do,
Those are some great photos. I especially like the one where the shark took the huge bite.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving, fishing