Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 07:49   #1

Fishing Along The Atlantic ICW

Can anyone tell me how the fishing is along the ICW? I'm wondering whether it is good enough to count on catching fish as part of our provisioning. Also, I need to outfit the boat with fishing tackle and would love to hear recommendations on suggested rods, reels, lures etc. Since we have no refrigeration, we'll want to focus on smaller fish that can be eaten by two hungry men in one meal.
Thanks!
Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 08:10   #2

Boat: Boatless
I delivered a boat with the owner on board and he planned to live on the fish he caught...after 24 hrs he was begging for a can of my Spam.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 08:14   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You will need a fishing license from every state you pass through! I would not count on catching enough fish in the ICW to affect your provisioning. Save the fishing for offshore. Get a good strong rod with the biggest good reel you can afford, some 60 pound test line and a couple of cedar plugs.
Old 29-09-2009, 08:36   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Blowfish, Inside the ICW the biggest issue is licensing. Each and every state now has a salt water fishing license requirement and in South Carolina it is possible that some sections require a freshwater license. I'm specifically thinking of the Waccama river section. Be aware that all fishing limitations, rules, and requirements are not found in the size limit summary sheets that the states often make available with your fishing license. In NC there are three separate documents which govern coastal zone fishing. There are some closed seasons that are not listed in the summary document and there is an online list of proclamations that can change any other rule or close a season or fishing area despite what the other documents say.

If you're wanting to fish while underway a simple hand line trolling rig with a spoon such as a clark spoon, will do assuming you are in a sailboat and making 4-7 knots. What you'll catch will depend upon the time of the year. In the winter in Florida I've had a lot of luck with spanish mackerel in the 2-3 Lb range. You can also catch small blues which are quite good if eaten very fresh. In the spring and summer you can catch the same fish in the more northern reaches. If you are going slower and use an artificial shrimp or Gulp you can also pick up some sea trout. If you plan to fish while stopped, a light-medium spinning rod will usually do in which case casting about with a gulp 3" white shrimp in shallower waterc will often get you a few trout, a flounder or maybe even a slot sized redfish. There is a fishing thread already open where some of the gear is discussed and I have a link to a simple hand line setup.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 14:41   #5

Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I needed! I was afraid there might be saltwater fishing licenses involved, bummer. It looks like we'll have to wait until we get offshore to fish.
Thanks!
Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing, icw