Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-03-2010, 01:02   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Hey Mark...

Hey Mark,
Good to see you're both still in one piece.
We might have a go at the Fish markets one day. Could one get away with berthing, fish and chipping and running on a weekend?
Missing the delights of Aussie cuisine already?

Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 03:58   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Could one get away with berthing, fish and chipping and running on a weekend?
Yes thats the idea. But on the weekend there isabout a zillion motor boats circling in front waiting for a berth to become available. Then you are only allowed one hour... and it was $15 (I think)

But the overnight was FREE. they told us in the office to make sure we didn't pay anyone... but the marina security guard tried to get some money but we told him to shove it and go see the office.

Either way, daytime or overnight its grreat fun, a great vibe, great food, expensive wine, even a fruite and veg store and its only 1 km walk to the city via Darling Harbour so all international boats should head in there for a few days mid-week.

Notes on a Circumnavigation.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:08   #18

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch

I have been working as a Chef at the Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club and I am starting to think we need some good fish and chips on the menu. There are visitor’s berths out the front and I am talking real fish from the catch of the day via the Fisherman’s Co-op next door. Too many people these days rely on frozen crap and like above with the mackerel up north it would be so nice to have “real” fish. I can remember years back at Mangrove Jacks next door filleting box on box of fresh catch for the same purpose (and Uni funding).

Well just treat this as a petition of sorts. I am sailing back and still in Gladstone so not really expecting to be on the roster when I get back due the fact the head chef is not a sailor and probably does not understand the fact I am bashing home with a suspect engine and gearbox against daily headwinds and swell. Maybe if it all turns to sh*t I could open my own chipper and cut their grass?

(I note I am yet to find a good fish and chipper in Gladstone. However, I did have an excellent dinner at the Library Square Restaurant.)

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote

fish, sydney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: