Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2010, 04:42   #46

Yes, but Americans are quite privileged to have nice cheap rum! A 700ml bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse is $36 here, and that's the cheapest price around.

I think that Coke merely pollutes good rum, but I do still like my "splash" of lemonade.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 05:12   #47

Boat: Silverton 42
No Cruzan????? What kind of neighborhood is the store in????? *grin* I'm sure they could order some in for you. In the meantime, no sense letting your trip to the store go to waste - that Cockspur rum isn't doing you any good sitting in the bottle. BTW, I forgot to mention that not only is Cruzan medicinal but with Coke and a squeezed lime wedge it has all the daily requirements of the 4 food groups. All that in a glass! Cheers.
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 06:35   #48

Quote:
No Cruzan????? What kind of neighborhood is the store in?????
It's Australia. You learn quickly not to question things! This is the same country where ALL FOUR wheels on every shopping cart(trolley) can turn. You should see the grannies trying to push their groceries along even the slightest incline. You can politely explain how the carts in civilised countries only have 2 wheels that turn, but most Australians can't understand how it could possibly work that way

So, this evening... my wife drank beers, I had a good sampling of the rum. We ended up having a really good evening just laying around and chatting about our plans: where we want to go, what we want to do, how the hell we're going to make money, etc. Good times.
Old 17-01-2010, 07:31   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Heh. He's a man, of course he's bad.... When he is REALLY bad he has to sleep at the boat.
This is how you "punish" himself? Wow! What do you do for him when he's good!

Oh - I saw - You join him on the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Rum goes well with dang near anything: coke (diet in my case), 7-up, tonic, coffee, hot tea, orange juice, cranberry juice, neat, cubes, lime juice ... THE single most versatile alcoholic bevg. For me, never the spiced stuff, however.

I learned the greatness of rum early on in my sailing career from a great English chap who was the first to point out to me that the sun was always over the yardarm, somewhere.
I was drinking beer - Too many carbs too filling...

Switched to red wine - Got burned out...

Now it's rum with soda. Very refreshing, no headache later and when put in a sports bottle almost impossible to spill!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 10:27   #50

Boat: Tartan 30- Immrama
My favorite places to sail are places where rum is the cheapest, so rum is historically and experientially the sail drink of choice. Mount Gay is the house rum, Cruzan, being US made, is often the extra bottle brought home duty free from the USVI, the exotic aged rums are enjoyed neat or in a rum and tonic but the top of the heap for me is Centenario Zapatopec from Guatemala. Centenario competes well with my Pappy Van Winkel's Bourbon, Black Bush Irish, single malt scotch, etc as a great way to spend half an hour drinking an ounce of liquid. If you need your liquor to be quicker, my official boat group libation, requiring shore power or a genny for the blender, is the "Lime in the Coconut" stolen from the similar sounding drink at Island Blues Bar in Coral Bay, St. John. Mix lime, grated lime zest, coconut cream, dark rum or coconut flavored rum, and ice in a blender and sing the Harry Nilsson song while blending.
on land- Nashville, TN
fastfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 10:39   #51
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
If you need your liquor to be quicker, my official boat group libation, requiring shore power or a genny for the blender, is the "Lime in the Coconut" stolen from the similar sounding drink at Island Blues Bar in Coral Bay, St. John. Mix lime, grated lime zest, coconut cream, dark rum or coconut flavored rum, and ice in a blender and sing the Harry Nilsson song while blending.
my god, that sounds like heaven on a hot day.... you need my 12 volt blender! no genny or shore cord, no problem!

I am seriously going to try that one soon!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:25   #52

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Vodka Martini------------could ya tell?
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 17:50   #53

OK, I'll confess..... sometimes, when we arrive at an anchorage, we celebrate the 'landing' with a strawberry margarita (lime juice, ice, strawberries, triple sec, tequila). instead of running the genny I use a nifty hand cranked blender in the cockpit (I got the blender from a kayak store). When that thing whirs to life the whole anchorage can hear and we usually make more than what we alone can drink - which is good because the noise brings friends. Mostly. There have been other kinds of visitors... I'm not proud of this drink but it is yummy and clearly appreciated by other boaters so you guys better fess up!
Any alcohol tends to drown out our kids....
Cheers,
Bill
Old 18-01-2010, 18:13   #54

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
Vodka Martini------------could ya tell?
Gin and Vermouth is soooo much better...
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 18:15   #55

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee View Post
OK, I'll confess..... sometimes, when we arrive at an anchorage, we celebrate the 'landing' with a strawberry margarita (lime juice, ice, strawberries, triple sec, tequila). instead of running the genny I use a nifty hand cranked blender in the cockpit (I got the blender from a kayak store). When that thing whirs to life the whole anchorage can hear and we usually make more than what we alone can drink - which is good because the noise brings friends. Mostly. There have been other kinds of visitors... I'm not proud of this drink but it is yummy and clearly appreciated by other boaters so you guys better fess up!
Any alcohol tends to drown out our kids....
Cheers,
Bill
Bill, that sounds like one that I will have to try. The only problem I have is that I need a new excuse for the level of intake. My kids are grown.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 18:18   #56

It's ok Bill, we won't tell anyone.

I like Pina Coladas myself, although I drown them in very manly proportions of rum. Pina Coladas + any overproof rum (151, etc) makes for an interesting night, every time.
Old 18-01-2010, 19:10   #57

As long as its drunk in a man-glass its all good! No umbrellas. My wife's nightcap: Carolans on ice.
Old 18-01-2010, 19:14   #58

Is that a Pina Colada? "No, uh... it's... just rum with a bit of coconut and pineapple."
Old 18-01-2010, 20:03   #59

Boat: Tartan 30- Immrama
Ah, the hand cranked blender. It would drive the security types crazy when we flew with it and did make a commotion when operated clamped in the cockpit. One of my mates dropped the crank handle into the murk of Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke at dusk, never to be seen again. We took pictures illustrating the event and sent to the manufacturer who sent us a new handle free. I don't really miss the contraption, though.
on land- Nashville, TN
fastfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 23:57   #60

Here you go boys:

Ignore the graphics, i'm posting it for the music.

Cheers to Tuesday.