Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2010, 17:10   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I find press coffee is smoother, so it might be as strong but not as harsh. How are you grinding your bean?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 19:45   #197

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I find press coffee is smoother, so it might be as strong but not as harsh. How are you grinding your bean?
I am not so advanced. We use the........dare I say it........Maxwell house, I think.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 19:55   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahhhh...

Generally speaking you grind the bean for the maker you are using. A press usually requires a coarse grind.
Old 28-01-2010, 20:25   #199

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
I worked in Saudi Arabia in the seventies and learned a cool way to make a fine "instant " coffee.

Take a can of folgers (ground coffee and add about a 1/4 the coffee volume of sugar (diabetics skip to the next post) and then add water and simmer, simmer simmer... make sure you have water and don't let it go dry. Eventually, you will get a fine coffee syrup that takes about a demitasse spoonful to make a satisfying cup.

You can store it unrefrigerated in the same can. Great for night watch.
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 21:04   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
What is this sugar crap. Next thing you'll be putting a 'Creamer' in your coffee. What a wuss. Real sailors drink it au naturel just as it comes from the press.

Actually soon acquired a taste for black coffee after wearing more than one cup of coffee when the boat lurched while putting adulterants in the brew. Now wuss coffee tastes like crap.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 21:30   #201

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofsalem View Post
I worked in Saudi Arabia in the seventies and learned a cool way to make a fine "instant " coffee.

Take a can of folgers (ground coffee and add about a 1/4 the coffee volume of sugar (diabetics skip to the next post) and then add water and simmer, simmer simmer... make sure you have water and don't let it go dry. Eventually, you will get a fine coffee syrup that takes about a demitasse spoonful to make a satisfying cup.

You can store it unrefrigerated in the same can. Great for night watch.
I wonder if somehow a pressure cooker could shorten the process?

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 04:37   #202

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
We have a French press that I got in Paris 38 years ago. Since it's glass in a metal frame it lives ina special box in the galley. Should replace it with one of those new stainless jobbies but after all these years I'm sorta attached to it.
For coffee I have a source for fresh Kona beans which I grind with a hand grinder -- coarse grind for a French press. Otherwise go along with what osirissail wrote above with the addition that the press or any other coffeemaker has to be kept clean.
One thing that surprises me is that no one has mentioned the water. If your water tastes lousy your coffee is not going to be great no matter what else you do and water from the tanks, even through our very good Seagull filter doesn't cut it.
We either take bottled water, reserved for coffee or we use the watermaker which is a reverse osmosis process. (If water quality has been mentioned somewhere else in the thread I missed it -- my bad)
I drink my coffee strong -- the spoon should stand up in it just before it dissolves -- and black maybe with a little rum in the evening. Have at least one pot a day.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 06:21   #203

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Yes, the right water is a must, for any drink, be it coffee, tea, or the libatious kind.

Speaking of Seagull filters, is that thing really worth the amount of money they charge for it?
I purchased a 3m filter (yet to be installed)( BEV160) that does the same thing for a lot less. It is rated to 0.2 micron vs the seagull 0.1 and 35,000 gal at 3 g/min vs 1000 gal at 1 g/min. So what am I missing here? The seagull cost over 2x the price of the 3m.
Is it just the fact it has marine after its name ?
Old 30-01-2010, 12:41   #204

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Ahhhh...

Generally speaking you grind the bean for the maker you are using. A press usually requires a coarse grind.

OK, now I have to buy a grinder and beans.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:48   #205

Boat: Farrier f27
OH no! skip the beans. Use instant as some have suggested!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:59   #206
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
OK, now I have to buy a grinder and beans.

If yer buyin the grinder get a nice burr grinder, not a blade grinder. And if there is anything else I can help you spend your money on let me know.
Old 30-01-2010, 14:28   #207
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i just discovered bellagio european sipping chocolate---wow---i use any kind of coffee beans as long as they are very dark and oily after roasting-espresso roast or french roast--and i hand grind and make one cup drip coffee----as strong as i like --espresso is good--lol...and i use the chocolate in a different way than in directions on the box lol--i put a huge spoon in my cup-and nido milk and sugar to taste--add coffee and stir--awesome!!...best mocha i ever had LOL--for atreat i add a splash of half and half
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 15:22   #208

As some have said, hand grinder and fresh beans. In my case it is a French Press and Navier. Its a local to tampa/st pete company that makes a expresso grind with chicory in it. I generally drink Cafe con Leche most mornings. Cafe Bustelo makes a good instant if you want to make instant expresso.

Midnight watch I have a wide mouth Stanley thermos that I preheat, then dump the water and add two raw eggs in the shell, fill with hot water and add three or 4 of the folgers teabags and set aside. It is great about 4am when you want some small snack and some coffee both are in one container. BE careful with the eggs, I have had a mistake or two over the years.

For Beans I prefer the organic light and dark roast mix from Whole Foods.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 12:16   #209

Boat: Masson 63 - 10 Forward
We like variety so we buy all different coffee beans and grind them in an electric burr grinder. Then we use an electric coffee maker, the cheap kind. The inverter runs it fine. We bungee it to the bulkhead underway and have made coffee that way in some pretty nasty weather. The bungee goes thru the handle on the pot and holds the body and the carafe in place. The reason we use the cheap kind is they are not digital and hold up to the power variations.
S/V 10 Forward - Mason 63
Masoncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33   #210

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Alright, thought I'd chime in as coffee is a big part of my life! Just love the stuff. I use an aeropress. Basically a syringe with a wide outlet that takes a small paper filter. For one, a scoop of coffee (dark roast freshly ground in my hand crank bur grinder, the kind you see sold as spce grinders) add an esspreso amount of water, stir for a second or two and press. Strong, smooth and even a nice crema. If you want americano, add some boiling water to the shot. Yhe very best part, especially for you non watermaking cruisers, when you reach the bottom of the plunger stroke all you do is unscrew the filter holder and plop out a plug of grounds (they say you can rinse and reuse the filter if you want but something like 350 cost a couple of bucks). Perfect for boosting that compsting toilet. But really, there is a 2" plunger surface to rinse off and that is it. No fuss, no muss and by far the smoothest esspresso you will ever have! I also have a stovetop milk steamer by Bellman, a copy of a 1700's Italian job that is almost indestructable. It makes the coffee also but I never have tried it as cleanup with the Aeropress is so easy. I am not aboard yet but have been pacticing . I have actually come to enjoy powdered nonfat milk more that the real thing for my coffee drink. It foams so well that me efforts are to keep the head down! My dieticien girlfriend is big on antioxidents and the heart bennefits of chocolate (or the cocoa in chocolate if processed without alkali, in other words, not dutched) so I steam my milk, add a spoonfull of 100% cocoa and a couple of good shakes of cinamon, stir it in, top with foam, add the esspresso and grate a little nutmeg on top. Heavan! And breakfast to boot. Then about three more throughout the day make life worth living!!!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote