Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 06:33   #16

Getlost,
Do you grind you beans when underway? How? Is there such a thing as a 12VDC grinder?
Old 21-04-2009, 07:07   #17

Boat: CT54
A espresso machine on the boat has been great for us. I can have have all the espresso my heart desires and we also use it with the blender for starbucks type frapaccinos. I have a old hand crank turkish coffee grinder that I use to grind the beans fresh and finely ground.
If I just want a cup of coffee we have a press aboard but that is mostly for company as I much prefer the taste of espresso or americano.
Cheers,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 07:42   #18

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You lot have been led up the path by TV Chefs with bunged on French accents.

Go into the supermarket and rip off the lid of a good size jar of Nescaf and stick your proboscis right in........ Thats not just aroma you're smelling, its a luxury of a well earned cuppa, its the sweetness of new born baby’s skin, its the feeling of subtle injection of energy coupled with a balance of relaxation.

You crushed bean toadies just don't get the embodiment of success that the real 43 beans give. You have special brew pots but are still not millionaires, I have just my cup but it propels me to a billionaires reverie.....

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nescafe!

And a touch of powdered milk to set it off... Bliss

The Nescafe advertising competition was won by MarkJ! Congratulations! A years supply of Nescafe! :P

I like the french press and a dark toast.

/Hampus
Old 21-04-2009, 08:09   #19

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Jamaican Blue Mountain, and a stove top percolator, electrics just don't brew the coffee good enough.
Buy it in Jamaica and it's not that expensive, compared to what the stores in the States and else where want for a pound.
You can brew it as strong as you want and never gets bitter...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:12   #20
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I too vote for a dark roast and French press. The coffees throughout the Caribbean/South America tend to be much more flavourful than Nescafe etc., even when they are not a dark roast. Yes, Blue Mountain in Jamaica (but for much less money, albeit less cache, try Jamaican High Mountain). For a stronger tasting coffee (my preference), I prefer Cafe Madrid from Venezuela.

The French Press style coffee makers work quickly and efficiently; I would recommend, however, staying away from the typical acrylic unit - the plastic plunger will tend to break down rapidly with boiling water. Although I little more dangerous, the glass units with plastic frames will typically survive a fall to the cabin sole, and the metal plungers last forever.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:28   #21

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Organic shade grown ground just before brewing, one cup at a time. French press on the boat. I come from the land of coffee snobs ( pacific northwest ) and Starbucks. It's my only vise, I make the best of it.

Nescafe? What planet are you from?
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:37   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Columbian has been the coffee I always come back to .. like an old friend. Kona and blue mountain are great but too expensive. there are some good coffees grown in Africa and also Sumatra. Cheers and have another cup of java.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 15:13   #23

keelbolts,

i have one of those regular 110v krups grinders and a little inverter in the galley.

I bought 6 bags of blue mountain in port antonio, jamaica. $6 a piece. I wish I woulda bought 40!
------------------------------
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the coffees of Panama. I went up to Boquete and had some wonderful coffee up there. I should have bought some for the boat but didn't.
-----------------------------
jackiepitts,

i'm seriously jealous of your expresso machine

Drew
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 15:38   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Philistines rule...

I use the better quality Nescafe instant. They do have a range these days you know.

I figure if I'm going to add whitener what's the difference.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 15:57   #25
Scurvy Dog

Folgers Columbian

Put 2 cups cool water in washbasin. Heat 3 cups water to boiling in pot, take off fire. Pour 1 cup boiling water into washbasin. Throw 3 heaping tablespoons coffee into pot in remaining 2 cups boiling water, stir. Wash up in basin. Pour coffee through tea strainer into mug. Enjoy.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 16:37   #26

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Go into the supermarket and rip off the lid of a good size jar of Nescaf and stick your proboscis right in........ Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nescafe!

And a touch of powdered milk to set it off... Bliss

And you normally come across as a man of such excellent taste!
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 16:59   #27

Boat: hunter 28.5
Jamaican me crazy!!

captainpauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 16:59   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Used to have a coffee farm here in Kona. No surprize that I'm a tad bit partial to the local brew. A mild coffee that can be brewed as strong as you like without developing the acidity and bitterness that lesser coffees would have. Prefer a 'Full City' or medium roast. Charcoal is charcoal, can't understand why people take good coffee and burn it. Over roasting coffee also brings the oils to the surface of the bean which are then very quick to turn rancid and take the coffee from unappetizing to undrinkable. If I cheap out and don't buy Kona, damn it hurts to no longer have the farm, will usually buy a Columbian or Sumatran.

Have a knee grinder on the boat to get the coarse grind that works best in the French Press. We've got an insulated French Press that makes two large cups of coffee and keeps it drinkable for most of a day.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 17:09   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
On my first trip south we had a small aluminum perculator which wasn't too bad. But I really like the ease of a drip coffee maker but the electric ones are a bit too much for my 1500W inverter. So for the next trip I got one of these Coleman drip coffee makers:

Coleman - Camping Coffeemaker -

Its designed to be put on coleman stove but I hope will work on the propane stove.
Old 21-04-2009, 18:28   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We use a French press.
Having been around coffee drinking, The French press is the easy low tech solution. You just boil the after and the rest is automatic with now other power. You can brew a few cups at a time and the next batch is only a few minutes away. You can wash the whole pot and I'm not sure that it is possible to wear out.

The old fashioned peculator was what i started with many years ago but I think they work fine for basic cheap grocery store course ground coffee they don't do as well if you really want a good cup of coffee. Being on a boat should mean you have time for a good cup. If you can haul the filters The Cemex hour hand blown glass pot is maybe the best there is. The press requires no filters.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote