Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 20:24   #61

Boat Coffee

Coffee is like beer - get used to the good stuff and it will cost you more!
Tasty coffee is simple...put lots of coffee in your coffee! I have a small stainless percolator on the boat, but seem to use a 1 cup Bodum French Press the most- Thermos/plastic, about $15

Jud
s/v Pinniped
Seattle
SeattleBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 20:26   #62

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
A favorite subject of mine...

I roast my own.
Get my beans from Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's
I use the HotTop Drum Coffee Roaster $720 Hot Top Coffee Roaster to roast.
I use the Technivorm SCAA-approved Coffee Makers Electric Drip Brewers; KB-741, Moccamaster CD, KBTS, KB741 to brew and also this which makes the best cup of coffee you can have.. http://www.sweetmarias.com/cona_imag....complete1.jpg

For everyday drinking you can't beat The Coffees of Indonesia; Sulawesi

For special times it The Coffees of Hawaii or
The Coffees of Jamaica

For espresso use any of their espresso blends Sweet Maria's Green Coffee Blends

I drink it sweet with raw turbinado sugar and half and half.
When its latte time I add some monin coconut and vanilla syrup.

I have a french press, don't use it. I sometimes make is in the turkish fashion boiled with lots of sugar, cardemon and cinimon.
Just make a small batch at a time, put it in a thermos. Ah what would life be like without caffe?

With a guava and cheese pastry, cinimon roll, or just crosant and jelly... what a sweet thing it is.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 20:30   #63

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
French Market coffee and chickory from New Orleans in a French press, now im not a coffee snob and have a hard time making a good cup but have had good luck with this, ive been trying all the locally roasted coffees lately but find they all take about 4 times as much grounds to make an equally strong cup
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 21:14   #64

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
I like to apply what I was introduced to as the Louisiana test for coffee:

Drink it with just the coffee and a little sweetener. If you can't enjoy the coffee without all the milk and cream and half and half or a half a cup of sugar, then it's crap coffee.

One of my favourite things when I used to live in the French Quarter was walking down to Cafe du Monde and grabbing a large Cafe au lait and a Sunday Times Picayune and spending the next hour or so in Jackson Square reading my paper, enjoying my coffee and watching all the tourists complain that it's too hot (at 9am).

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 21:35   #65

Boat: Farrier f27
I agree drew crap in coffee means the coffee's crap. My son and I with our beagle stopped at Cafe Du Monde for coffee, the dog wasn't allowed so she hung out outside the rail next to our table eating beignets. That was as good as it gets.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 16:19   #66

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Seriously you mean because I like to drink my coffee with cream and sugar, that means its crap?
Wow and here all along I thought it was pretty good....
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 18:22   #67

Boat: Farrier f27
It is all about what you're used to. I used to think 7/11 coffee was the best & before that Navy coffee is what addicted me in the first place!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 18:50   #68

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Seriously you mean because I like to drink my coffee with cream and sugar, that means its crap?

The hazzard of posting to a thread...opinions...they're like a**holes...everybody's got one (and they must share them even when it doesn't address the original question)

PS. I still like my Kontessa and Costa Rican beans medium roast fresh ground spiked with a little Medaglia d' Oro espresso, the Italian way...milk in it before noon, no milk in the pm!
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 18:59   #69

Cream & sugar ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
lol.

I, too, used to enjoy cream & sugar with my strong coffee. But I gave the habit up after 30 years.

Actually, for me, the big question was whether I used non dairy creamer or half & half. As for the coffee, I found that my tastes would change & I simply rotated through various types of beans (which I fresh ground prior to each pot, of course).
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 19:00   #70

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I usta use sugar and cream but it was such a hassel, so I cut it out (the sugar and creamer) for 2 weeks and continued to drink the same amount. Then I tried sugar and creamer again and it tasted like ....well not good.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 19:03   #71

... What do you think of those countries where Nescafe is the only choice in restaurants?[/quote]

In that case I order Glenn Livet!
Old 12-06-2009, 19:03   #72

Navy coffee ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
It is all about what you're used to. I used to think 7/11 coffee was the best & before that Navy coffee is what addicted me in the first place!
I guess its true.

My coffee habit began when I first began working and the employer provided 'free' coffee and as much as we wanted ! (clever, those people were).

Oddly, enough, I don't recall the Navy coffee at all !

My vote for the absolute worst, though, has to be McDonald's. At least it used to be that way.

After 30 years, though, I'm happy to say those days are over. It was good stuff, but a bad habit just the same.
Old 12-06-2009, 19:14   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDreams View Post
I guess its true.

Oddly, enough, I don't recall the Navy coffee at all !

When I was in the Navy We had an obnoxious Chief who insisted we make a pot of coffee every morning. At that time I had stopped drinking coffee for a while and didn't want to make it for him. So when It came my turn to make the coffee I first scrubbed the inside of the 20 cup aluminum pot with Ajax and only rinsed it once. Then I put half the grounds in the basket and turned it on. When He came in and drew a cup he tasted it and spit it out on the deck saying, "Jesus Christ who made this coffee?" I replied, "I did Chief, do you like it?" He looked at me jabbing his coffee cup in my direction and shouted, "You never make the coffee again!" I shrugged my shoulders and said, "OK". I'll bet HE remembers it!
Old 12-06-2009, 20:07   #74

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
This thread reminds me of something my dad always says: "Beggars can't be choosy".

I recall crossing the S. Pacific from PV and then through the Marquesas for the CHEAPEST Captn on this planet. I hadn't had a decent glass of wine in over 2 months, and the crap on offer then in the Marquesas wasn't worth drinking, unless you were prepared to pay at least $US 120 for a bottle of wine I could get in Costco for $US10. I recall rowing about 1 1/2 miles in a 6 foot dinghy to an anchored freighter and exchanging $US 20 for a bottle of wine that would cost about the same in Costco!

Bottom-line: I think most of the comments on this subject of
favourite coffees are rather "precious", and I might be forgiven for thinking that anyone on this thread would be satisfied with even a Nescafe if they had gone without their cup of Java for several days .....

William aka 'The PIRATE'
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 21:25   #75

Coffee for the Navy Chief...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosmariner View Post
When I was in the Navy We had an obnoxious Chief who insisted we make a pot of coffee every morning.
I also had a Chief that had a bad reputation for being a jerk. He looked about 60 years old at the time, yet people said he was only in his 40's. Supposedly, it was the alcohol, but that was another story.

Anyway, I was instructed that I also had to make the coffee each morning. To me, that was an unlawful order But, I made it just the same for a brief time and he & I got along. I never understood, though, how the Navy allowed that kind of practice to go on unless the person directed to making the coffee was a mess chef which I wasn't.

Its really is odd that I can't recall the Navy coffee for myself. I remember the bad stuff at the employer I mentioned pre-Navy, and the good stuff I used to buy post Navy. Was I walking in some drug induced stupor for three years caused by a secret ingredient in that Navy coffee?