Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-12-2014, 04:18   #31

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Re: Extra Provisions for Bartering

Bring rum, I'll swap that for boat bits you don't have!!

Children's books and stuff...carry heaps ... don't barter... give as gifts.

Bartering? Bring boat bits... stainless fittings ... stuff you can fix engines with... other boat people will worship you as a god... and give you rum.....

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:35   #32

Best rum on Earth: Bundaberg!

But, selfish Aussies don't like to share it with the rest of the world. I'll be getting my quota on our trip in May. My brother-in-law and his family, 4 of the 7 are of legal drinking age in the States, are coming over in June to our place and they are required to bring their quota or they won't be picked up from the airport.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1421066016.963043.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	95374

The situation is getting dire! My son in Australia had the audacity to tell me I should just go buy some Captain Morgan. Shocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 19-01-2015, 15:26   #33

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

I am a teacher and have never met a kid who wouldn't love a little rubber bouncy ball. They can purchased for in bulk for less than a dime each on oriental trading. You would be the most popular cruiser in town with a pocket full of these, the kids would get a treat, and you don't risk offending anybody.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-01-2015, 15:37   #34

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
Best rum on Earth: Bundaberg!

But, selfish Aussies don't like to share it with the rest of the world. I'll be getting my quota on our trip in May. My brother-in-law and his family, 4 of the 7 are of legal drinking age in the States, are coming over in June to our place and they are required to bring their quota or they won't be picked up from the airport.

Attachment 95374

The situation is getting dire! My son in Australia had the audacity to tell me I should just go buy some Captain Morgan. Shocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Years ago the standard Bundaberg rum was always fairly ordinary but often the only one available, certainly in North Queensland. I lived in Bundaberg for about 8 years and consumed a lot but one needed Coke to make it drinkable.

Some years later spent a month in Cuba where rum was so good you could drink it neat or with ice.

Thesedays with the ready availability of a large selection of great imported rums in Australia in alcohol outlets such as Dan Murphy's the Bundaberg distillary has been forced to lift their game and they now have some reasonable rums available.
Old 21-01-2015, 01:33   #35

Not wanting hijack the thread, but the second best rum I've ever had was a Cuban rum I got to sample on a Cruise Ship in '07. 'Twas superb.

By the way, my love of Bundy goes back to buying 2x 750ml bottles at the Moss Vale hotel Bottle-O after losing a huge contract with The State Rail Authority- Goulburn NSW - back in the early 90s and the ensuing events that I can't go into too deeply. Bundy, to me, is a good drop. My son even named his brindle Staffordshire Terrier 'Bundy'.

Uncle Dan and I are well acquainted. The store in Albany Creek, Qld Is the one I frequent the most. My brother-in-law is a regular there. When we make the trip from Samford Village, we usually spend $300-$400 on a good sampling of wines and beer. I consider Uncle Dan a very close and personal friend whom I can't visit often enough.

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: