Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2009, 03:35   #46

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Any Feedback?

At this point I have emailed the Sunspot Baby provisioning list to about a dozen forum members.

I would like to know if you are finding it helpful and what information it doesn't include that you think it should.

Rather than hijack this thread feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks in advance,
George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 03:55   #47

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
At this point I have emailed the Sunspot Baby provisioning list to about a dozen forum members.
I would like to know if you are finding it helpful and what information it doesn't include that you think it should.
I have replied here because I think this is relevant to everyone. I note that you have a very limited list of non-food items included - which as a stowage list makes sense, but as a provisioning list , does not. If this is your complete stowage list, it does seem short on tools, spares etc, so perhaps you can explain the rationale for including certain non-food items.

I have been working up a tool list and have somebody else's spares list as a starter, so once I actually have the boat I have a starting point!
Old 29-06-2009, 05:07   #48

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The is a "provision" list which in this context of this thread I take to mean primarily consumable food and beverage items.

There are several threads in this forum that address issues related to tools and spares. If you need a place to start hit the link seen here See Downwind Marine Link

Down Wind Marines list is well done but just as in provisions, every cruisers need is different so add your own changes.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 09:57   #49

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
The is a "provision" list which in this context of this thread I take to mean primarily consumable food and beverage items.
George
I too took the meaning of the original request to mean consumables.

I think it is in the spirit of the thread to include non-consumable items though. As it happens in our case we were keying all stowage locations to an 'accommodation layout' from the sales brochure for our boat.

As we did this it seamed a natural to also include the non 'provisions' to complete our 'stowage plan'. Consequently our provisioning list includes everything that isn't bolted or bonded to the hull or deck.

Talbot, I would only take the tools and spares that are specific to the boat or equipment you actually bring. For instance if all your boat's fasteners are SAE you don't need Metric tools. Also if the clevis pins in the shroud turnbuckles are 1/4 inch an assortment in a blister pack with larger and smaller sizes is unnecessary. Ounces add up to tons.

Some of the boat independent stores might include things like epoxy putty sticks for minor emergency repairs, or J.B. Weld for appropriate metals. Also medical supplies of a general nature as well as any specific medications, prescription and over the counter, should be on your provisioning list. And of course a couple of can openers should be at the top of the 'non-consumables ' list.
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 00:51   #50

Boat: Privilege 37
I asked the moderators to add xls to the list of allowable attachments -this has been done, and thus I have attached the spreadsheet from cosmosmariner that they have been kind enough to send to interested parties.

Please note that excel 2007 files need to be exported in pre-2007 form as the system will not allow the 2007 format.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Boat Stores.xls (90.0 KB, 590 views)
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03   #51

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I asked the moderators to add xls to the list of allowable attachments -this has been done, and thus I have attached the spreadsheet from cosmosmariner that they have been kind enough to send to interested parties.

Please note that excel 2007 files need to be exported in pre-2007 form as the system will not allow the 2007 format.
Now why didn't I think of that?! Thanks for converting it into Excel.

We're still willing to answer any questions regarding the document.
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 12:38   #52
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
check under boat projects/passage provisioning

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 15:14   #53

When I provision for passage I try to take individual frozen pre cooked meals to last the expected passage. You want easy to cook meals for cooking on and eating on the tilt.

Down in the Caribbean where I cruised for several years provisioning was not a major problem because there were "reasonable" places to get stores in most of the larger islands. I was not off the beaten path that I had to be self sufficient for days or weeks on end.

You can always through together a pasta meal with olive oil and garlic, canned fish and so forth.

Forget provisioning in the out of the way places, in the Bahamas or the Caribbean, it ain't gonna happen. On the other hand, the French islands offer real french fare and provisions, boulangerie and so forth, so you win some and you lose some. And Guadeloupe has a hyper market too

You won't find Whole Foods, or Dean and Delucca, but you don't go sailing off to have that. That fare is for them megayachts.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning